Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$ (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/172254-diy-mods-and-tricks-to-save.html)

fxesuperglide77 01-01-2008 12:01 PM

RE: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

So It Is safe to put in tweeters In a 2ohm system with no problems, Right? Is that the bottem line?

iclick 01-01-2008 12:05 PM

RE: "DIY MODS" WAY TO GO :)

ORIGINAL: XfasteddieX

here is the equasion for figuringohms or resistance in series 2+4=6 ohm load

in parallel 1 devided 2 =.5 1 devided by 4 =.25 so .25+.5=.75 then devide 1 by .75 =1.33 ohms

so if you use a 2 & 4 ohm speaker in parallel your load should be1.33 ohms

if you use a 4 ohm & 4 ohm in parallel cut 4 in half so so it will be 2 ohms
If you wanted to have everything according to spec (2Ω) you could also connect the two speaker pairs (2 and 4Ω) in parallel, then connect a 2Ω resistor in series with the 2Ω speakers. That would put you at 2Ω, right?

texas steve 01-01-2008 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: iclick

here is the equasion for figuringohms or resistance in series 2+4=6 ohm load

in parallel 1 devided 2 =.5 1 devided by 4 =.25 so .25+.5=.75 then devide 1 by .75 =1.33 ohms

so if you use a 2 & 4 ohm speaker in parallel your load should be1.33 ohms

if you use a 4 ohm & 4 ohm in parallel cut 4 in half so so it will be 2 ohms
If you wanted to have everything according to spec (2Ω) you could also connect the two speaker pairs (2 and 4Ω) in parallel, then connect a 2Ω resistor in series with the 2Ω speakers. That would put you at 2Ω, right?
Absloute bottom line according to the speaker and crossover people I contacted is that speakers are not pure resistive, and thefore the formuala used for resistance is technically correct, but in practice, with speakers, it is not. Their opinion is it will be fine, and dont add the resistor (according to them). Mine are working great (Polks parallel) and the sound is a great improvement. So Iclick you and I are both fine. By the way the two experts were PEZ and a crossover builder for Theil speakers.

Iclick, how did your Tigers do? I did not get to see the game!

iclick 01-01-2008 12:40 PM

ORIGINAL: texas steve
LSU plays OSU in the BCS National Championship Game on Jan. 7th. SEC is doing well, 4-for-4 so far in bowl games--but Ark. is floundering against Mizzou at the moment. UT is handling Wisc. fairly well thru the 3rd quarter. More scores at the top of the hour. Stay tuned to this channel for complete sport coverage.

Thanks for the input on the tweeters. I'm leaning toward the Memphis tweeters (aluminum cone), only because I see an Ebay seller offering 11 sets for $50 + $15 shipping per pair. I haven't seen the Polk's anywhere for less than about $90/pr.

XfasteddieX 01-01-2008 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: texas steve
LSU plays OSU in the BCS National Championship Game on Jan. 7th. SEC is doing well, 4-for-4 so far in bowl games--but Ark. is floundering against Mizzou at the moment. UT is handling Wisc. fairly well thru the 3rd quarter. More scores at the top of the hour. Stay tuned to this channel for complete sport coverage.

Thanks for the input on the tweeters. I'm leaning toward the Memphis tweeters (aluminum cone), only because I see an Ebay seller offering 11 sets for $50 + $15 shipping per pair. I haven't seen the Polk's anywhere for less than about $90/pr.

i ordered the polk componant system from parts express 5 1/4", the tweets ,& crossovers for 40.00 & baffles to help enhance the lws &mids should be here tomarrowhttp://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=267-737 &
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-786

CREEPSHOW 01-01-2008 02:16 PM

I was just thinking about the speaker holes and thought if you had a standard, put them where the two guages go. That way if you were to remove them, you could put guages in, no holes! Also, for the guys who are worried about the fairing mount mirrors, this is a way to cover those holes if you remove the mirrors, if ya don't like the mirrors or bought a bike with them and wanna remove the mirrors!Vis versa, if you want to add tweeters and don't plan on mounting fairing mounted mirrors, borrow a mirror template and drill the holes for fairing mirrors. Then mount you tweeters. If you decide you don't like the tweeters remove them and install fairing mount mirrors, the holes are already there. Tweeters can come in handy! Just an idea..

XfasteddieX 01-01-2008 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: CREEPSHOW

I was just thinking about the speaker holes and thought if you had a standard, put them where the two guages go. That way if you were to remove them, you could put guages in, no holes! Also, for the guys who are worried about the fairing mount mirrors, this is a way to cover those holes if you remove the mirrors, if ya don't like the mirrors or bought a bike with them and wanna remove the mirrors!Tweeters can come in handy!
thats what im doing with my tweets

texas steve 01-01-2008 02:48 PM

I was just thinking about the speaker holes and thought if you had a standard, put them where the two gages go. That way if you were to remove them, you could put gages in, no holes! Also, for the guys who are worried about the fairing mount mirrors, this is a way to cover those holes if you remove the mirrors, if ya don't like the mirrors or bought a bike with them and wanna remove the mirrors!Tweeters can come in handy!
thats what I'm doing with my tweets
Yep that will work - but - I temporally put them there (just held them in place) and the sound improved, but not as much as where I have them now. Higher up they are more aimed at your ears, and the separation (stereo) is much better as well. I too liked the idea of putting them in the gauge area. The temp gauge is useless anyway!!! Now if you switch and put the tweets in place of the gauges beside each main speaker (and move the others down) that would be good. I was going to do that, then I saw how difficult it appeared, so I went with the way I did it. You can look back at the previous page in this post and they don't look abstruse at all.

Wally 01-01-2008 06:57 PM

I was just thinking about the speaker holes and thought if you had a standard, put them where the two guages go. That way if you were to remove them, you could put guages in, no holes! Also, for the guys who are worried about the fairing mount mirrors, this is a way to cover those holes if you remove the mirrors, if ya don't like the mirrors or bought a bike with them and wanna remove the mirrors!Vis versa, if you want to add tweeters and don't plan on mounting fairing mounted mirrors, borrow a mirror template and drill the holes for fairing mirrors. Then mount you tweeters. If you decide you don't like the tweeters remove them and install fairing mount mirrors, the holes are already there. Tweeters can come in handy! Just an idea..
I'm one of those guys that wants to delete the fairing mount mirrors. I installed Wild1's 575 chubby bars and love them but, they really reduce the rear view visibility with the fairing mount mirrors. I've been trying to figure out something to cover the holes and I hope this is it.
Do you know for sure the tweeters will cover the holes or are you just thinking they will?

texas steve 01-02-2008 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Wally

I'm one of those guys that wants to delete the fairing mount mirrors. I installed Wild1's 575 chubby bars and love them but, they really reduce the rear view visibility with the fairing mount mirrors. I've been trying to figure out something to cover the holes and I hope this is it.
Do you know for sure the tweeters will cover the holes or are you just thinking they will?
I to have 575s and like my bars low with max pull back. So my mirrors are only blocked just a little at the bottom. You could go with the Kurykan mirror brackets and mirrors that extend out on the orginal fairing holes. Or they also make a windshield chrome peice that has mirrors at each end.