Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$ (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/172254-diy-mods-and-tricks-to-save.html)

cmhfguy 11-20-2009 09:30 AM

Most garage door opener remotes operate off of 9 volts

heinkel150 11-20-2009 11:45 AM

HID Upgrade for 2000 Electra Glide Ultra

I recently upgraded the headlights on my 2000 Ultra. What a difference!. I started with a very badly corroded headlight unit which I replaced at my local motor factors for €22. This unit fitted perfectly into the existing light unit and takes a standard H4 halogen bulb.

I had a big improvement with this alone, even though the actual lamp unit is only a cheap one. I plan to replace this cheap unit with either a good quality Hella or Cibie Z beam unit. These will both fit my Harley.

I then bought a H4 HID conversion kit with High and Low function. This consists of a slim ballast, HID bulb, Relay and all necessary wiring for €67 on eBay.

The HID H4 bulb fits directly into the headlamp like a normal bulb.
I ran 2 17.5 Amp wires, (the live + one I fused right at the battery) directly from the battery up to the headlamp nacelle where I connected them with soldered connections and shrink wrap to the HID wiring kit.

Connect up the rest of the wires as instructed in the kit, secure the ballast, relay and wires and then re-assemble whatever you had asunder.

Make sure the first time you turn on the HID kit that you let it run for 10 minutes as the bulb needs to burn in correctly. Don't be tempted to switch it off immediately.

Result? EXTREMELY good lights on both heads and dips, flash function works perfectly and lower power consumption than original, (35W versus 55W.)

This kit gives you the benefit of HID lights on both Heads AND Dips, as opposed to the Harley solution which uses a HID dipped beam and a Halogen head beam. It achieves this with an electromechanical shield that slides over the bulb to create a dipped / full beam effect.

Light is a beautiful crisp white / blue light that really lights up the road, all for less that €100.

So far, I can't fault it and is proving a real bonus on these short winter days in Ireland.

Knight2 11-20-2009 03:08 PM

LED Brake Light Mod! Nice Inexpensive Safety Mod!

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
What's happenin? Man this thread is great isn't it? My buddy and I have done a few of the mods here and thank you guys!

Anyway here's one I came up with a few weeks ago. I also did my friends bike and often get questions from other riders about it at the local bike nights around here (Florida) People love them!

I was wanting to add some accent lights around my engine so I purchased these (Flex-Leds) from AutoZone. Well upon opening the package I learned that the lights may not work good near heat.

I thought sh-t now what' (light bulb goes off in head)
I'm going to hook one of the strips 12", somewhere on the tour pack and tie it into my brake lights! As you can see I chose to put mine right under the lip that the top lid rests on. The strip is only 3/8' wide...
Looks absolutely fine when viewed from the rear during the day. Actually looks like part of the hardware built into the bike or something.

You get two strips in the package for only $24 so it's really only costing you $12 if you only use one of the strips. Shoot you can use both if you want!
Anyway just clean off the area you're going to mount it to, stick it on and run your ground wire to a ground and the power to one of your brake lights right there in the tour pack! I drilled a little tiny hole right there on the left side and ran the wires right into the tour pack.

Guys, the lights are brite! Even during the day they are clearly visisble although this photo doesn't show that, and forget about at night! They really light up that back end perfectly!

Of course the pictures don't do them any justice, you'll have to go check em out at Autozone and see for your self! There is a button right on the package so you can try them out before your buy!

Ok guys! go check em' out! I know you'll love them!
Pete

wuzrice 11-20-2009 10:17 PM

Kule, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've got a 110 ci 2010 and it's about to put a blister on my right leg!
gonna do that along with some other engine mods (cams and pistons, along with either a full sack bore out and new baffles, or slip ons. Haven't decided which exhaust to go to yet. I've been listening to you guys discuss what you've done, and am still on the fence. Not too many SE riders in this forum , or at least I haven't found many yet.

HDDOC 11-22-2009 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by wuzrice (Post 5873038)
Kule, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've got a 110 ci 2010 and it's about to put a blister on my right leg!
gonna do that along with some other engine mods (cams and pistons, along with either a full sack bore out and new baffles, or slip ons. Haven't decided which exhaust to go to yet. I've been listening to you guys discuss what you've done, and am still on the fence. Not too many SE riders in this forum , or at least I haven't found many yet.

You will find more CVO riders at CVOharley.com

wuzrice 11-22-2009 06:54 PM

Thanks, I'll check out CVOharley

bsea 11-23-2009 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 2525425)
I'm no electronics expert, but I think I could handle that one, except aren't most garage door openers 9 volt?
Won't the constant power to the door opener damage it or overheat it?

Sorry, just noticed this question. Actually, most openers are 12 volt, so no chance of burning it up from over voltage. Also, two answers to the second question. First, the power goes to the opener only when the high beams are fired. Second, the power is momentary; for example, if you hold your opener button down, you don't cause the garage to go up and down. It only moves once per push, which indicates that it only pulls power once per depression. Hope that explains it, and again, sorry this is so late.

Bill

iluvmyride 11-29-2009 10:09 AM

New to the forum. I was going through the first few pages of this thread and most of the photos for the mods don't show. All I see is this:

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/BC23E6DE28BA4941A1F6A120FC3FA9C1.jpg[/IMG]

Is there a setting so I can see these pics?????

Never mind. Finally found the reason....

evokenevo 11-30-2009 08:27 PM

you can also wire it on the high beam wires and stick it in the headlight housing, when getting home just push hight beam and door opens

StreetGliderRider 12-01-2009 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by iluvmyride (Post 5903943)
New to the forum. I was going through the first few pages of this thread and most of the photos for the mods don't show. All I see is this:

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/BC23E6DE28BA4941A1F6A120FC3FA9C1.jpg[/IMG]

Is there a setting so I can see these pics?????

Never mind. Finally found the reason....

What, what did you find, I haver the same trouble.