Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for ROAD KING (FLHR) owners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:07 PM
HeliRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for ROAD KING (FLHR) owners?

Moving up this spring to either the ROAD KING (FLHR) or the FAT BOY.

My problem is I can’t decide which bike, both look and ride great. I have sat on both bikes many times, looked them over from top to bottom for hours and lastly ridden both and still can’t decide. For the money I will be investing this will be my ride for a long time so I want to make the right choice.

Only $400.00 difference between the bikes. Yea, I know the RK comes with bags and a windshield but bags and a shield is not that important to me.

Don’t do a lot of two upriding but I will say the wife doesn’t really care for long rides on my 1200R and that is certainly understandable.

So my question is what are some of the Con’s of the ROAD KING (FLHR) if any?

Any information would be awesome.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 04:12 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Question for ROAD KING (FLHR) owners?

The ride is like night & day... Do yourself a favor... Go Rent Then and you'll see....

If your going to ride 2-up and do any kind of long rides or Extended trips... You'll be much better off with the RK...

In Town Shorter Hops - Fatboy is a great looking bike... Had one my self.. Buddy has it now and loves it... But He's added Saddlebags - Windshield for then longer putts... He's now looking to get a Touring Class Putt sometime next year...

Old 12-23-2007, 04:12 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Having owned both touring bikes and Softails, I can say that the touring bikes ride better, handle better, and are smoother. The Roadking is just about the ultimate if you don't want the bling of a stereo and fairing.

You will find as you ride more that a windshield is nice to have, and if you use your bike a lot, the saddle bags are invaluable. The windshield is detachable on the Roadking so you get to have it both ways.

Bill

Old 12-23-2007, 04:20 PM
framer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one am not aware of ANY 'cons' with the RK. I have only had mine a couple of years and have enjoyed every minute of making it mine. You can dress her all the way up or all the way down. The best 'pro' about the RK, in my opinion, isthat it's great for a 5 minute trip to town or a 5 hour trip to the beach.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:20 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned both bikes. Get the roadking. For $400 more you get bags, detach windshield, rubber mounted motor, air suspension, cruise control (if you get the classic) and the road lights. Howeverthe only thing I liked more about the fatboy was that it had acarb.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:21 PM
fishpro
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my RKC. Billnourse is right, the windsheild is nice when you want it but removes in Seconds if you don't want it. As for the bags, I wouldn't what a bike without them.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:23 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You ride a lot two up and you cant make up your mind????? Not a hard decision at all, the fatboy is a bar hopper or one rider bike that is only suited to short two up trips. 1) its a solid mounted motor, more vibration.2) it has the softail mini shocks under the frame and they are not designed for near the loads the roadking can handle, two riders and gear. To me if your even planing on taking any trips two up over 40 miles I would forget the fatboy.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prolly the only thing that you might not like about the King is having to constantly adjust the airshocks in relation to your load, the temperature and the fact that they just don't hold over time.

However, that is a small price to pay for a much superior ride.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its to easy for me to say just go buy the Road King. You have to rent one of each and see the obvious difference for yourself.

Rent both then decide you will be so glad that you did.

OBTW, a simple test ride will not give you the perspective that your looking for.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 526 Posts

The RK is more versitile and can be stripped down or dressed up however you want. Less vibration, smoother ride, better brakes, I've never seen anyone trade down from a tourer, but I have seen people trade up from a softy.

Quick Reply: Question for ROAD KING (FLHR) owners?