Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Neck bearings and fork alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Neck bearings and fork alignment

Is it possible for the adjustment (tightening) of the neck(steering head) bearings to have an effect on the triple tree?

The top right fork is now sitting a bit closer to the tank than the top left fork. It appears that the triple trees are not aligned properly.

Could this have happened when the neck bearings were adjusted/tightened?

Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Question about Neck bearings and fork alignment

When do you notice this? Is it when you are moving down the roador when it is sitting parked? Does the bike still track straight?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

There is actually no way that can be. When the stem bearings are in and adj. they pull the triple trees straight.If that is actually what you are seeing, then i suspect something is bent or the image you get from the gas tank is a figment. The adj. doesnt have any effect on the tubes moving closer to the tank.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: dgoodbmw

There is actually no way that can be. When the stem bearings are in and adj. they pull the triple trees straight.If that is actually what you are seeing, then i suspect something is bent or the image you get from the gas tank is a figment. The adj. doesnt have any effect on the tubes moving closer to the tank.
You are right.
Just keep in mind that while you adjust the neck bearings thelower pinch bolts have to be loosened so that the triples will actually keep straight (parallel) otherwise you are loading the trees against each other.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: twincam47

ORIGINAL: dgoodbmw

You are right.
Just keep in mind that while you adjust the neck bearings thelower pinch bolts have to be loosened so that the triples will actually keep straight (parallel) otherwise you are loading the trees against each other.
It is stable and seems to be tracking just fine.

I noticed it after getting it back from the stealer who mounted my new tires.

The top of the right fork is about 3/8 of an inch back from the top of the left fork. Seems like the triples are NOT exactly parallel. (you can also see this in the handlebars)

I have not dropped it, dunno what happened when the stealer had it. Will not take it back to them....when they had it for the tires the scratched the tank to the metal and broke my tourpack LED light and glued it back together (never fessed up to it either).

Old 01-23-2008, 04:52 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Though not usual, it is possible for the forks to be off parallel. I use a piece precision ground 3/4" thick glass to align mine(have used it on many of my bikes over the years) but a careful visual alignment can be just as effective. Loosen enough to be able to twist the forks(hands on handlebars, wheel between your knees. Repeat until the forks are aligned visually from the side, tighten the trees, check again, repeat if necessary.
With the ground glass you can place it over the front of both forks and by tapping you can tell if they are parallel(dull thud good, ticking sound not). Haven't tried it with a thick piece of tempered glass(glass shop will have) but it should work as well. Good Luck, it ain't rocket science!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:02 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Cervical fusion done on my neck,, Brg's are fugged up now, and I my fork is misaligned , cause I keep hittin my tooth..... friken quack Doc's anywho!!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Though not usual, it is possible for the forks to be off parallel. I use a piece precision ground 3/4" thick glass to align mine(have used it on many of my bikes over the years) but a careful visual alignment can be just as effective. Loosen enough to be able to twist the forks(hands on handlebars, wheel between your knees. Repeat until the forks are aligned visually from the side, tighten the trees, check again, repeat if necessary.
With the ground glass you can place it over the front of both forks and by tapping you can tell if they are parallel(dull thud good, ticking sound not). Haven't tried it with a thick piece of tempered glass(glass shop will have) but it should work as well. Good Luck, it ain't rocket science!
Thank you!