Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haven't see a post

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 PM
singlepin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haven't see a post

OK, I've seen a lot of posts about different air filters, mufflers,serts, etc. I've read that the problem with heat issues is caused by running too lean due to EPA requirements. Do those things really need to be done? Can't we just take the bike in and have the computerreprogrammed to run a little richer and not need anything else? You can take your truck or camper in and change the chip to get more power or better gas mileage. Can't we do the same thing here? Hopefully, some of you guys, who know this stuff, will explain it to me. Thanks

Old 01-25-2008, 11:18 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Default RE: Haven't see a post

EPA, andnarrow band O2 sensors, are two things that just jump right in my mind. Stay tuned, you will hear or read about 300 more reasons before the weekend is over.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BBQ chips are prefered

Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Do those things really need to be done?"

The way I understand it is yes and no.

There is the ECM Recalibration, butIhave heard that by itself, this gives you no noticealbe results and costs $149(?). Next is the Stage 1 SEAC kit, but you still need the re-calibration for that too.

Plus, once you get the air coming in, you need to give it a way to get out, hence, exhaust. If you don't add exhaust, me thinks you just threw away $280.

Now, if you do the SEAC (or other high flow AC) and the pipes (either slip ons or full system) you need to give your ECM a means of fuel management that can handle the new AF ratio requirements. Hence the SERT, PCIII, TMAT, etc....

You can leave the bike stock and it will be great! Another option, if you wantto leave it stock but don't like the heatis just go with an oil cooler and temp guage/dipstick.

It's up to you, in terms of what you want from the bike, that will determine your course of action.

A side note regarding mpg is that even if you do what you're gonna do, and your bike runs better than it ever has, you still may not get better mpg. Reason being is that it's currently running so lean, that it's proly getting the best mpg it's gonna ever get. Plus, the right hand gets pretty heavy when you open up the pump.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 AM
UltraDave
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

BBQ chips are prefered
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 01-26-2008, 07:32 AM
FXSTCHEWY
Advanced

Yes you can, adding some sort of fuel managment to cool AND add power, here is a dyno run with SERT only added and tuned.....
http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...mid=5418#M5418 some like Stock, by adding FM you can have a better running and cooler bike.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:36 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: singlepin
Can't we just take the bike in and have the computerreprogrammed to run a little richer and not need anything else?
The EPA will not allow any download to richen up the fuel mix, all the HD download does is adjust timing............that's why it's a total waste of $150.

The only way to add fuel, is to add a fuel management system..........this will put your mix right, cool the bike down, and make it run much better.

Steve

Old 01-26-2008, 07:52 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

look at it this way get your best deal on the bike because Harley sales are slow and put the savings into what you know will cool it down Just their way of getting that money from you in the first place so harley still costs

Old 01-26-2008, 09:58 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Technically you don't NEED to do anything with the bike at all.
Will it run hot, yes most likley.

The new closed loop (O2 sensors), will try to keep bike at a 14.7 to 1 A/F ratio.
The sert and PC iii will help to compensate for it.

Yes you can have the ECM re-programmed to run richer without any parts added.

But performance will improve with the the aircleaner and mufflers and the sert / pc iii, etc.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
DrBob81
Cruiser

The 07s had no cats in the mufflers, very lean and very hot. The 08s have cats, run better and cooler. Night and day difference between stock bikes. My 08 has none of the hot pinging gutless gripes the 07 had. I'm still going with fuelmoto pc, mufflers and a big sucker to get a little more HD sound and performance.

Quick Reply: Haven't see a post