Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Question - Noise in the backround

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Reef Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Question - Noise in the backround

Having troubles with my CB radio on my 06 Ultra Classic.

This problem started about four weeks ago. Before then the CB seemed to be working fine.

When I turn the ignition switch to the "on" position the CB transmits and recieves normally. I hear very clealry and I transmit very clearly. However... when I start the engine, that is when the troubles start.

I am told by the guys I ride with that I come across very garbled and noisey... Almost over powering it seems. When I turn the engine back off, I am transmitting normally again and they say that I am crystal clear.

Why does this happen only when the engine is running..? And why did this just start happening after working normally for the last year or so..?

Lastly, what can I do to fix this..?

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Orlando

Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I would start by checking all connections you can get to. Maybe a loose antenna connection. Make sure set screw is tight. Get inside tour pak and check all connections under liner. May be fine when setting still but when running it may vibrate.

Just a guess. Good Luck.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:37 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

could also be a bad sparkplugg or plugg wire

Old 02-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Reef Rider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
could also be a bad sparkplugg or plugg wire

I've gone through my wiring front to back and have tightened everything I can get my hands on. I've removed my fairing cover and done the same...

Is that really true, that my spark plug wires can cause this..? Have you seen this first hand..? If so, how can I check and would I expect to see other symptoms aside from CB issues..?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:41 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

With the engine running the ignition system is delivering energy to the spark plugs. When the plugs fire a very broad spectrum of high frequency is created. That energy can be conducted and radiated. If something has happened to the spark plug wiring or spark plug suppression then that RF energy can easily get into the CB circuits.

The coax cable from the radio to the antenna mount has an outer shield and is grounded at both ends. Check the ground connections.

Another problem can be with the alternator (a diode) or even the regulator, either one can be a cause of RF energy.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Reef Rider
Cruiser

Is there a way to check the integridy of the wires aside from simply replacing them..?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
rc9636
Cruiser

Any kind of spark (not just plugs) generates a radio signal and a popping sound in the radio. On cars there are capacitors (also know as condensors) to obsorb these signals. I'm not sure where or how this is accomplised on a bike but I would think it would be in the ignition system somewhere.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 AM
Reef Rider
Cruiser

Still fighting the fight... I've done everything I can think of to find the source of this noise but I'm still SOL...

Does anyone know what the spec for the voltage output while the engine is running..?

With the ignition switch "on" and the engine turned off, I read 11.5 Volts on my DVM. Reading at the accessories hot to ground.

With the engine running I am reading about 13.7 volts and it does seem to move around a bit within a volt or so. I would think that it would be 12 volts plus or minus (what ever the tolerance is...)

I could use some guidance on this one... I'm wondering if I'm outputting noise along with voltage that's too high and out of spec.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried a different headset just to rule out the headset?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Reef Rider your alternator is 50 amp a reading of 14 volts with engine running
is normal

Quick Reply: CB Question - Noise in the backround