Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp - Food for thought and curiousity

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil temp - Food for thought and curiousity

Saw a few threads on oil temp, tire temps, too hot to ride, no riding in the rain, etc. I'm old school, been riding near 40 years now and wondering about oil temps. On my shovels, I never once had an oil temp gauge, in fact, never had one on a twin cam either. I've ridden hot, 126 in Death Valley on a '79 shovelhead, she was hot, but she did fine and no issues. Now , the MOCO doesn't put on an oil temp gauge, but lots of guys add them and watch the temps. MOCO must figure it's a non-issue as long as there is pressure, so my question is this:

How many have ever had to stop or had an issue related to a high oil temperature? I mean, if it never becomes an issue, why all the concern to watch it?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

never had a problem here in Nevada summer 100+

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

There was a thread that ran here for a long time.... "The pussification of touring bikes" ...... I think that pretty much sums it up.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ing-bikes.html

You're sitting over an internal combustion engine...... they're hot. Always have been. Even the water cooled ones. Ever sit at a stop light on a GoldWing, and have the fan kick on..... GEEZE, that'l roast your chestnuts.

Last edited by shooter5074; 06-26-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree that it isn't necessary to ride the bike but knowing the oil temp can help tell you have a problem before it becomes a major issue.If there was a oil issue I would expect the gauge to indicate a spike in temp and a lowering of pressure. I have both gauges on same side of fairing. I recently put an oil cooler on the bike and it is good to see what a difference it makes while on the road. The biggest change I see is before the cooler at highway speed temps got hotter and took longer to cool down. Now temp is about 15 degrees cooler at highway speeds.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
How many have ever had to stop or had an issue related to a high oil temperature? I mean, if it never becomes an issue, why all the concern to watch it?
I have asked the same question to all of these pro oil temp gauge installers a while back ago,never did get an answer.

My '06 Road Glide got stuck in 100 deg. plus temps in Las Vegas traffic before.The engine went into the heat mode and was running like crap.I'm sure the oil temp was sky high.Once the engine was able to cool down,it ran fine.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Different kind of Harley rider today. I have been riding them since 1974, never had an oil temp gauge and don't need one. Too many people just want something to worry about. Never any problem from heat riding in very hot temps. HD ain't as stupid as some would think. Only thing required maybe now is to get a stage I installed and a little richer fuel map because of the EPA requirements. After that just ride and enjoy and quite all the worrying. I kind of miss the carb days when I could do my own jetting.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Redsailor
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think need both a oil cooler for open road and then a some fan on the jugs when in town or parade.....it HAS to be helping the engine....

Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Redsailor
think need both a oil cooler for open road and then a some fan on the jugs when in town or parade.....it HAS to be helping the engine....
See, that's just it, not true. It does not have to be helping the engine as long as the temps are within the specs of that engine. I work in an engineering department and we build power systems. As long as the engine operates within the ranges specified, whether it be at the high or low end of the spectrum, longevity is achieved. If no one can report a single failure due to high oil temp, then what difference does it make to add those items. Now, if it gives you piece of mind, do it, nothing wrong with that, I do things myself because it makes me feel better, but my question was, with all this concern over oil temp, has anyone ever had to stop riding because an oil temp was too high?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM
jkrahn
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also am very interested in what others have to say and think the OP's question re. 'who has had a problem related to over heated oil' makes a lot of sense. I bought my first Harley, a 45 flat head in 1989 and rode it for 18 years, often at 60-65 mph. which is pushing that old motor and never had a problem I would link to hot oil. My thought would be that the aluminum twin cam motor should cool more efficiently that the old cast iron cylinder motors.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM

I NEVER give it a thought.... I ride, as long as all is running great I keep on riding.

Quick Reply: Oil temp - Food for thought and curiousity