Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ULTRA TOUR PACK SPEAKER HOOKUP-98 INTO 04

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:44 PM
jakester
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ULTRA TOUR PACK SPEAKER HOOKUP-98 INTO 04

Hello fellow HDFers!!!! OK I just picked up a 98 ultra tour pack and i will be adding it to my 04 E-GLIDE standard....Now each speaker has a separate female plug will i need an attachment wire set-up from my speaker wires or is my bike ready to go!!!! My bike is in storage now but i want to have everything ready when i get it out! Folks as always THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!

[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=thanx.gif] JAKESTER..TIM......

Old 02-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: ULTRA TOUR PACK SPEAKER HOOKUP-98 INTO 04

You can buy the male connectors and wire terminals from HD that will mate to the speaker connectors. If it's an Ultra speaker connection, it will have controls for the radio and intercom in addition to the wires for the speakers which you may or may not need depending on your headunit. Basically, the other wires are useless without the Harley headunit, and an Ultra audio connector plugged into the back of the Harley headunit.

If you consult a '98 HD Service Manual or Electronics Diagnotics Manual, the wiring diagrams will identify the wire colors for left and right speaker +/-. The colors don't change much year to year, and my '04 SM shows the left rear speaker colors as: Brown (+) and White/Brown stripe (-); and, right rear speaker as: Green (+) and Light Green/Brown stripe (-).

Bascially, you need to purchase the male conector for left and right and the sockets that go on the end of the wires you are adding. These connectors require a special crimp so you can have an HD tech do it or, as I have done, purchase the Philmore WS26 crimp tool, about 8 USD at Fry's Electronics or on the Web from another vendor. Crimp the wires carefully, insert into the new male connectors and you are done at the rear of the bike. Then run the wires to the front of the bike to the rear of your headunit and plug in using the connector required there.

Dawg or TwinCam47 can supply the HD PN's for the connectors and sockets (and the latter are cheap so buy a couple extra in case you screw-up a crimp or two--very handy job interruption insuranceas I have come to find out). Or consult the HD parts book at the dealership; my store is very accommodating in this regard 'cause they know it's 90% likely that parts will be sold if the correct part is identified.

If you have a HD headunit, the proper way (SM way, at least) is to fab the Ultra audio connector (a 23 wire AMP connector on the pre-06 models, but not sure about the HD radio) to install the speaker sockets in it, then plug into the back of the HD headunit. If it's an HK radio, you will probably need a dealer flash to turn on the rear speakers, though I have no personal experience with this.