Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Oil Service..........or Fork Swap

Old 02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fork Oil Service..........or Fork Swap

I'm needing to do my Fork Oil change, and at the same time I have a set of chrome forks and cowbells to install.

Anyone have a good step-by-step guide to doing this work?

I have the service manual already, so I'm looking for a good guide to work from.

I had heard of a way to just do the fluid change without taking everything apart.........if anyone knows of that, send it my way and I'll wait on the chrome forks for a while.

Or, if anyone is in New England and has done this swap........and wants to stop by this weekend and give me a hand......beers and pizza are on me.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Rodman813
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fork Oil Service..........or Fork Swap

My buddy and I did mine. It took us about 3-4 hrs. We actually took the folks out of the triple tree. So we had to take out the inner fairing, and ingnition switch. It was all fairly simple by following the manuel. We wished we had had the ingnition switch tool, but thank GOD we got it straight with a screw driver. The hardest/most time consuming was getting it out of the triple tree. Changing oil, and swapping the folks were straight forward. We used a table vice tohold the folks while screwing in the spring loaded caps.

Take your time, it's doable..........

Old 02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
harleykris
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine and installed the progressive lowering springs as well. If I can do it, anyone can! If you take your time it's not too hard. I did it without removing the inner fairing. The 36-mm wrench that comes in your tool kit should fit the top nut on the shock. Removing the ignition switch is a lot easier than it sounds and you won't need Harley's tool to do it. Just be sure and put it back in the exact same way it came out. Take your time, drink plenty of fluids and you'll be fine.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:12 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

steve,
If you want to come down here to Texas I'll be more then happy to give you a hand and instead of pizza we can have some of Tex-Mex or some outstanding B-B-Q and enjoy some nice weather for riding...

Old 02-22-2008, 05:27 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My heads won't be back until middle of next week, so that leaves this weekend to do the forks.

Is there a good guide to follow anywheres?

Steve

Old 02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

My heads won't be back until middle of next week, so that leaves this weekend to do the forks.

Is there a good guide to follow anywheres?

Steve
HERE and HERE and you got my cell #

Old 02-22-2008, 06:32 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm in the middle of doing mine right now. Chromer promised me my lowers back today but didn't get them done. I didn't pull the inner fairing, easy enough access without going through that (although I have since pulled it for paint). Once the forks are out of the trees the actual swap itself is easy.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:59 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

I have been trying to decide if I want to tackle this. Looking at the manual, there are several tools that are needed for the left side with the cartridge. Can the swap out to chrome lowers be done without the tools specified in the manual?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:12 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I've never done the swap on a bike with a cartridge, but I have a good buddy that did it on his last week. He said it was a MAJOR pain dealing with that cartridge. And yes, he said he needed the special tools, whatever they are.

If I were you I'd either try to do it all myself or at least remove the forks from the trees and carry them to the dealer for the actual swap. Save yourself some money.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:37 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: robbie52

I have been trying to decide if I want to tackle this. Looking at the manual, there are several tools that are needed for the left side with the cartridge. Can the swap out to chrome lowers be done without the tools specified in the manual?
I removed my 05 forks and sold them complete on another forum. I then purchased chrome lowers, Progressive lowering kit and all the guts for 06 forks which does away with the cartridge fork.

Rick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fork Oil Service..........or Fork Swap