Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install a S&S 124" in their Bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Keener
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone install a S&S 124" in their Bagger?

Just wondering if anyone has bought the S&S 124" motor, complete, from S&S, them just replaced your stock motor.

I assume you would need to beef up your clutch, tranny, and ensure your pipes & fuel management we setup correctly.

Just a thought.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Anyone install a S&S 124" in their Bagger?

Puttin a 124 on a bagger wouldcreate a short between the handle bars.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Keener

Just wondering if anyone has bought the S&S 124" motor, complete, from S&S, them just replaced your stock motor.

I assume you would need to beef up your clutch, tranny, and ensure your pipes & fuel management we setup correctly.

Just a thought.
You assumed correctly. Tansmission is ok as a stock 6 speed, but the clutch will need a serious upgrade. I have a friend that has a bolt in 120, and it's weak if you ask me. They all need cams and head work to be anything decent. I know another guy that bought one and it blew a head gasket first week in. They pulled the top end and found thatthe assemblercaked so much moly lube on the studs during assembly that it pulled the stud likely from it compacting when they torque it down. Guess anybody could mess up on an assembly line, but fact remains that the S&S/Jims motors seem kinda weak to me, epecially with some of the wimpy grinds they seem to use in those builds.

My money goes on a custom build that uses their bottom ends, and someone elses top ends.The bottom end in my 124" is a Jims setup with machining by GMR, the cylinders are Axtell, and the heads are R&R with an HPI throttle body. Much better than an S&S if you ask me. Just one mans opinion though.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:22 AM
Keener
Tourer

Thanks for the feedback. It does seem that there are other options out there altering your stock cylinder and case. With some head work and cam, plus boring out your cylinders, and a bigger stroke on the crank seems, good HP ot TQ #s can be achieved.

Especially when you compare the numbers to the $$.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 AM
gunnert
Road Captain

I'm one of those shade tree mechanics that chases horsepower. My 99 Road King has undergone about every upgrade there is; everything from 203 cams to stroking to a 116".
My honest .02 worth is it's hard to beat a crate motor. I'm partial to S&S, but I'm sure other manufacturers make great motors too. The S&S 124", Single Bore Injection, with closed loop VFI is about as bolt in as you can get. This is NOT a detuned motor. Compression is 10.8:1, hard hitting 640 cams, etc. You'd need to upgrade your clutch. Other than that, about $8500 should get you up and running. Out right selling your stock motor would offset this cost considerably.
If you have a wrench close by than can do the same or better to your motor and is in the same ball park money wise, then you should talk with him. I've read and heard nothing but good things from builders like GMR, HQ, R&R, Hillside, etc.
Just remember, the late Neil Bonnet coined a NASCAR phrase that applies to Harleys, "Race cars don't run on gas, they run on money!" How much do you want to spend...

Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I liked the idea of a 124 inch, but decided the knock on costs were too great. I decided to make do with an S&S 107 touring special, as it 'only' requires a beefed up clutch. I am waiting for a delivery date....

Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 AM
bigjohn1percenter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a S&S 124 in my 1993 FLHS, was a power house.............for 8000 miles when it blew both heads off after a refuel, pulled the rear studs on both cylinders, don't waste your money, its not built for real word riding, its a weekend warrior motor for those who need bragging rights at the bar/ice cream parlor/coffee shop or where ever those posers and foot draggers hang out, call doug at head quarters, john at darkhorse or steve at gmr, dont buy the S&S motor !!!!!!!!!!!!! your warned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  DSCF0022.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  90.5 KB

Old 02-26-2008, 09:03 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks for the info---I going big my next build a year or two from now(113 - 124) and don't know if should just get a complete motor and be done with it.]ORIGINAL: bigjohn1percenter

i had a S&S 124 in my 1993 FLHS, was a power house.............for 8000 miles when it blew both heads off after a refuel, pulled the rear studs on both cylinders, don't waste your money, its not built for real word riding, its a weekend warrior motor for those who need bragging rights at the bar/ice cream parlor/coffee shop or where ever those posers and foot draggers hang out, tal to doug at head quarters, john at darkhorse or steve at gmr, dont buy the S&S motor !!!!!!!!!!!!! your warned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  DSCF0022.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  90.5 KB
[/quote]

Old 02-26-2008, 09:23 AM
cwilks
Banned

ORIGINAL: GlideMan

Just a thought.
You assumed correctly. Tansmission is ok as a stock 6 speed, but the clutch will need a serious upgrade. I have a friend that has a bolt in 120, and it's weak if you ask me. They all need cams and head work to be anything decent. I know another guy that bought one and it blew a head gasket first week in. They pulled the top end and found thatthe assemblercaked so much moly lube on the studs during assembly that it pulled the stud likely from it compacting when they torque it down. Guess anybody could mess up on an assembly line, but fact remains that the S&S/Jims motors seem kinda weak to me, epecially with some of the wimpy grinds they seem to use in those builds.

My money goes on a custom build that uses their bottom ends, and someone elses top ends.The bottom end in my 124" is a Jims setup with machining by GMR, the cylinders are Axtell, and the heads are R&R with an HPI throttle body. Much better than an S&S if you ask me. Just one mans opinion though.

I'll second that opinion Glide

Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 AM
KustomBaggers.com
Cruiser

Just a thought.
By your signature you run a pretty stock 88, correct?What are you ultimately looking for from your engine? What type of riding do you do?

Joe

Quick Reply: Anyone install a S&S 124" in their Bagger?