Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fairing removal on 95 electra glide

Old 03-15-2008, 07:45 AM
J.J.
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fairing removal on 95 electra glide

I want to take the fairing off my 95 electra glide so I can change out the speakers. Any guidance would surely be appreciated. I also want to change out the back ones but when I look at the speaker covers I see no screws anywhere to remove them.....any thoughts on this would be appreciated as well......thanks in advance

Old 03-15-2008, 08:07 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: fairing removal on 95 electra glide

Just changed the fairing speakers on mine.. Easy to do..
1. Take off Chrome headlight trim ring. ( one screw on bottom...) you will have to tug it a bit..it is on there pretty snug...
2. Remove 4 screws that hold headlight assembly... unplug headlight..
3. Unbolt fairing...inside there are 4 bolts.. a speedwrench works wonders to take off the nuts....
4. Remove the 5 windshield bolts & nuts....
5. Pull fairing off... swap speakers.. ( mine only had 3 screws holding them in...)
6. Put it all back together..........

Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Lpye
Road Captain

You also have to take the bolt out of the spot lights and set them down. Place a towel on the front fender andlet them rest on it.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:27 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

OOps.. yeah forgot that part.....

Old 03-15-2008, 09:30 AM
J.J.
Novice

Thanks much for the info.......

Old 03-15-2008, 10:58 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser

I have a '96 UC that's same as yours. Just remove the outer fairing:
Take out the four screws from the winshield trim strip and remove the winshield before it falls out and gets sctartched (don't ask me how I know).
Remove the 4 screws from the inner fairing that hold the 2 fairing halves together. I think these are size 27 Torx heads.
Lift the outer fairing carefully forward and unplug the headlight connector.
Lift the outer fairing up and away from the bike.

Finding suitable speakers that fit may be something of an issue. Pez says an adaper is needed for his speakers. I haven't tried to locate any but it sounds like it might not be quite as simple as going to Wally World and grabbing a set. I also have not found the secret to removing the rear speaker pods. The last of the Evo tourers seem to be a little different to do anything to than the TC models. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:16 PM
J.J.
Novice

ORIGINAL: hamnhog

I have a '96 UC that's same as yours. Just remove the outer fairing:
Take out the four screws from the winshield trim strip and remove the winshield before it falls out and gets sctartched (don't ask me how I know).
Remove the 4 screws from the inner fairing that hold the 2 fairing halves together. I think these are size 27 Torx heads.
Lift the outer fairing carefully forward and unplug the headlight connector.
Lift the outer fairing up and away from the bike.

Finding suitable speakers that fit may be something of an issue. Pez says an adaper is needed for his speakers. I haven't tried to locate any but it sounds like it might not be quite as simple as going to Wally World and grabbing a set. I also have not found the secret to removing the rear speaker pods. The last of the Evo tourers seem to be a little different to do anything to than the TC models. Good luck.
Thanks for the info.......could you give me an idea where those 4 screws might be located.....along the edges or top and bottom and how difficult are they to get to.......I got the speakers from J&M and they are supposedly the right speakers for the year and make of the bike. I'll keep digging on those rear speakers.......Maybe have to go in through the trunk....I think there are screws going into the trunk from the speaker pods.....we'll see.....

Old 10-14-2012, 12:48 PM
WVRave
Stage I

IS it possible to just remove the speaker grill covers, without removing the faring?

Thanks

Old 10-14-2012, 01:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by hamnhog
I have a '96 UC that's same as yours. .
the 96 fairing is different than the '95.

good advice in the earlier post.

when loosening the 4 fairing support bolts, not the location of the washers- if the fenders washers are dished or warped, replace them.

also the windscreen has the 2 lower bolts as well so a total of 7 bolts for the windscreen. an extra set of hands is helpful when doing this operation.

the chrome strip which holds the windscreen bolts can scratch so mask the area with tape, coming off and going back on.

if the clips on the bolts are loose, any auto parts store will have suitable replacements

the 95 fairing was such a pain to remove that I kept a list of the stuff I wanted to do inside the fairing- so that I could do a bunch of stuff at once, such as:

headphone jack wired into stereo

relay packs for the headlight hi/lo and spots ( wiring into the battery to take the load off the ign switch)

change out inst. bulbs for new

etc

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-14-2012 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hdbob2006 (03-27-2021)
Old 10-14-2012, 01:43 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by WVRave
IS it possible to just remove the speaker grill covers, without removing the faring?

Thanks
no.

the 1995 and earlier is fiddly

the 1996 and up is pretty easy

mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fairing removal on 95 electra glide