Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Bagger Fly By Wire throttle changes idle speed accidentally

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Ghostrider 6
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Bagger Fly By Wire throttle changes idle speed accidentally

I am a new member, but have ridden motorcycles since I was 6 years old, and have owned 5 previous Harley FLH's. I am currently considering the purchase of a 2008 Electra Glide Classic, and happened to be out of state on business, so I rented one to try out the new 96" TC with 6 speed. Ipicked up the bike with 210 milesshowing on the odometer, and was told in the parking lot before I even rode the bike that the idle would initially be high, around 2200 RPM's, thenthe bike would eventually settle into a normal idle at around 1000 RPM's.After a couple of minutes, I couldn't wait any longer, so after a few throttle blips, the idle went down lower, but not quite to 1000 RPM's, and I hit theinterstate. I didn't notice anythingodd with the throttle until I stopped, after about 110 miles. Thebike was again idling at 2200 RPM's and this time the bike was not cold. I rode and stoppedseveral times more times to see if it would do the same again, which it did. I stopped at another Harley shop and asked them to check it out, which they did, and they advised that the bike showed an error code, so they cleared the code. They advised that just that day, they had heard from HD about this situation. I was toldthis new fly by wire throttlewill reset the idle RPM's if the bike is shut off with the kill switch and the bike isn't at idle when the bike is shut off. In other words, if Ikill the enginewith the kill switch as I'm coasting into a gasstation, at say, 2200 RPM's, my throttle willre-set to 2200 RPM's. Has anyone had this problem or heard anything about it?? Oh, and mygas mileage sucked. I got about 120 miles to a tankfull with a 6 gallon tank. My 5 gallon tanked UltraClassic with 95", cams,etc. gets 170-190 miles per tankful. When I got back to the dealership, I advised them of the problem, but have not heard anything else from anyone.I'd appreciate any positive/negative feedback.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:23 PM
cderider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 08 Bagger Fly By Wire throttle changes idle speed accidentally

I have an 08 RoadGlide and use the kill switch all the time, no problems at all. My idle stays at 950 to 1000 RPM even on a cold start, I think the bike you rode broke and the dealer must have been a moron.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM
scaires as hell
Cruiser

Some bikes are having TBW problems others aren't. That is onebikenot tobuy!

RIDE ON !!!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:33 PM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

So why would you chose to turn off the bike when it is not stationary? Seems as my grandmother used to say...

'So don't do it'.

Switch off like normal, like you're supposed to ...and you wont have a problem.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:47 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Changing the DIS (desired idle speed) requires a PCM flash. Nothing you can do with your throttle and/or kill switch is going to change it. Further, if the DIS were somehow changed by the kill switch, it would never "settle down" to anything lower than its new setting, give or take ~100 rpm. In this case, if the idle were changed to 2200 rpm, it would never go below 2000 rpm no matter what you did. That bike has a problem with its throttle that needs to be addressed.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've only got 5200 miles on my ')*, but so far no issues with the throttle, or anything else for that matter. It's by far the best bike I've ever owned.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove an 08 Ultra last year (August Build) and the same problem as you had... Would even feel like it was going to jump out from under me at a stop light and fast idle at about 1800 rpm.. At times it would act normal but for the most part the exception was a wild high rpm... Didn't buy that bike.... Bought another Ultra that was a November build... and had no problems with the idle but did exeprience the slight delay in throttle response and actually killed the engine a few times at stop light take offs till I got the hang of it... Other then that... the demo 08 I road last year is still at the Shop and still setting in the repair bay...!!!!

Guess some of the earily builds were released just a bit too soon

Old 03-26-2008, 05:28 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sadly, it will take HD 10 years to get up to speed with the Japs when it comes to tech stufflike TBW......My '07 cruise control is junk and actually danerous....I am SO glad I didn't buy an '08 with TBW.

For you guys who have properly working TBW, I cheer for you but I predict you will have serious promlems to come....and the MOCO will respond with "They all do that" or "There is no problem"

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My 08 Road Glide is at the shop right now for idle at 2200, they claim some crap about a flash fixing it but tech has no notes on the workorder. I'll pick it up on Saturday and will see if they really fixed it or if was in the shop while the idle worked properly. Been doing this since it had 9 miles on it.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Forget About It
Banned

my 08 idles at around 200 rpm tell it warms then goes down to around 1000 to 950 ,was told all the 08 baggers due this, does anybody have a good answer

Quick Reply: 08 Bagger Fly By Wire throttle changes idle speed accidentally