Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy Street Glide or Stratoliner

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:23 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Buy Street Glide or Stratoliner

ORIGINAL: kzman

Can anyone give me some insight on the SG power and how well the bike handles.

Thanks
Kzman

The Street Glide's power isn't gonna knock your socks off but I've never needed more than it provides (usually ride one-up though). The Yamaha has close to 100 h.p. but you could go to Triumph's Rocket III and get 140 h.p also. You just have to decide how much you really need...sounds like some test drives would really help.

As far as the handling, all of Harley's baggers are very well balanced and very easy to maneuver in most situations. Just don't look for them to have the lean angles you are used to.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I sold my '05 road star to get the SG. I took a beating, the Yamaha did not hold it's value and it was only a few months old! The SG will hold it's value plus it looks a whole hell of a lot better.
The Yamaha will be faster if that's what you are into but let me tell you, you can't compare the feel. When doing 90 with the SG I hardley know I'm moving. It really feels like I have something under me. With my Road Star, at 90 I was holding on real tight! Also I love the fairing and the tunes are great.
I know harleys cost more and my have a few little bugs to work out here and there but there is something to the Harley mystique and comraderie. I have owned many metric bikes, this is my first Harly, I must say,"now I know what it's all about."
Go for the Harley!

Old 02-07-2006, 03:43 PM
06BlackFLHXI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the same dilema. I also found the Yamaha Star line of bikes very appealing as far as looking as much as a HD without being one, but In the end what made me decide Is that I knew that at some point I would be sitting in my garage and looking at the bike and It would still be a Yamaha. So It really comes down to what do you want an HD or a Yamaha, only you know that in your heart.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:47 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stratoliner is a beautiful bike. Yamaha did a great job on it. If I didn't have a fetish for Harley's it would be a bike I would look at buying.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:02 PM
kzman
Intermediate

This is great!!!!

Yeasterday was the first time on any Forum. The info and fed back is great. I am starting to feel the Harley brotherhood. I ask the same question on the Yamha Forum and have yet to hear back. Only 7 have read it and no replys. So again thanks. With that said I need to decide if I want to be a cruiser and slow down and enjoy the ride or crack the throttle and hold on.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:06 PM
06BlackFLHXI
Tourer

It think that It Is more than that. Like you said, no reponse on the Yamaha forum., no passion. I think you need to decide If you also want to be part of the Harley family and be changed.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:39 PM
wildpig
Banned

Never once did I say you were in anyway insulting, not to me or anyone else that I can see.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your position. Some I agree with - a lot I don't - but you know what they say "Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one" and here's one more for you "There's an a$$ for every seat, and a seat for every a$$"...

Old 02-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pierre Boivin

I went through the same dilema. I also found the Yamaha Star line of bikes very appealing as far as looking as much as a HD without being one, but In the end what made me decide Is that I knew that at some point I would be sitting in my garage and looking at the bike and It would still be a Yamaha. So It really comes down to what do you want an HD or a Yamaha, only you know that in your heart.
You are so right. I bought the Road Star 'cause it looked like a harley but cost less. Every night when I went into the garage it was still a Yamaha. Heck, I even had a Harley license plate holder. I figured it would fake everyone out into thinking it was a Harley! LOL! When someone asked what kind of bike I owned I would catch myself saying, "oh, it's a Harley look alike Road Star." I just couldn't get that itch out of my mind so I finally said, "what the hell, it's only money." The moral of this story is that if I would have got the Harley in the first place I would have ultimatly save a whole lot of cash and been much happier.
Hope you can find some value in my mistake.

Frank

Old 02-07-2006, 05:56 PM
myzen
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: foneman

" The moral of this story is that if I would have got the Harley in the first place I would have ultimatly save a whole lot of cash and been much happier.
Hope you can find some value in my mistake.

Frank
[/quote]

I second what foneman says!!!! Back in 99 I started with a Sportster, left the fold and came back (06RG). Ultimately in 99 I should have bought a Roadking or E-glide when I bought the Sportster. I would have never bought another motorcycle and saved a whole lot of cash in the first place. Buy the Harley you won't regret it.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: GOSTAZ

ORIGINAL: wildpig

ORIGINAL: GOSTAZ

Street Glide. This is the best handling big bagger I have ridden. Neutral and sticky. And it is actually flickable... I rode everything else, all the HD's, Honda's, Yammy's, and for a true bagger, the SG is it. It is not an ST 1300, a sport tourer, but it is more comfy. Go ride one, I think you may convince yourself. I don't dislike any of the bikes right now, but when I rode an SG, it felt like what I wanted. Have fun looking, lots of good stuff out there right now..
I would love to hear what you feel the differences are (THAT MAKE IT BETTER HANDLING) as you state in your post above between an SG, an EGlide standard, and an RK?

I'm all ears...Don't insult me by saying the lower stance.

SG is an EGlide lowered, with a different seat, naked front fender and a radio, less the driving lights for a lot more money. Same engine, tranny etc, etc ... Now if you want to state this as JUST your opinion you should prefix the statement with "In my opinion" don't state it as fact.
As far as what I said, I should have prefaced it with "this is how I feel" But I thought that was clear from the "I have ridden" comment. That implies that its my opinion.... If I wanted to proclaim it as fact, I would have said something like "the best handling bagger, period" But to explain my opinion, here goes... I am 6'2 and when I sit on EG Standard or an RK, I am 3 inches farther from the street on the top end. The rear suspension is also higher. When the suspension preloads going into a corner, the EG has to "sit down". You feel this in your rear end. At anything over 40 mph, it can feel weird IN MY OPINION. The SG, running harder shorter shocks does not have rear end movement like that. You lean it and its there IN MY OPINION. It was also my experience that I can take my hands off the bars on the SG, and unless I shift my weight, it tracks totally straight, because there is less wind resistance from the shorter windshield THIS IS FACT. Lower cross wind effects as well THIS IS FACT. When I sit on my SG, I am sitting farther "in" the bike . My weight is closer to the road. It's also causing the rear tire to plant harder, because I am also sitting 1/2" farther rearward FACT. The rear suspension is also lowered, and shorter travel. The last time I lowered a bike, by the time I did good shocks, and got everything dialed, I was at least a grand lighter in the back pocket. It also took a lot of time. Never said I was an engineer, but in the almost 20 years I have been riding, the closer you are to the road, the better you are going to handle. Not hating on the EG, or ANY other bike for that matter. Life is too short. But after riding everything, I will tell you, IN MY OPINION... that a lower bike is going to handle better. My experience riding the complete touring line seemed to back up that feeling. So I bought a SG, and I like it. Apologies for not stating everything correctly. Never meant to be insulting. As far as the money, there are a bazillion posts in this very forum, that seem to back up the point that EG's and SG's are different enough to come down to splitting hairs when you do the accounting. They are for different audiences. I wanted a bike without fender lights. I do not like tall windshields, or chrome trim on the bags, running lights, or soft bags.... There is nothing wrong with them. I just did not want them. So I bought an SG. And I will go to my grave saying that it handles better. Every car or bike that I have ever raced, or even just farted around with, when I wanted it to handle, down went the shock travel, and chassis height. Worked pretty well, apologies if that is insulting.

Well Said..

I'm all ears...Don't insult me by saying the lower stance.
IMO: That came across like someone expected an uneducated answer...

I’m curious why a few Stan

Quick Reply: Buy Street Glide or Stratoliner