Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody rented a U Haul motorcycle trailer ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 PM
harleybob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody rented a U Haul motorcycle trailer ?

Just wondering what kind of set up this trailer has. What type of wheel chocks, tie downs ect. All imput greatly appreciared. Thanks. Bob.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:57 PM
vegashd
Banned
Default RE: Has anybody rented a U Haul motorcycle trailer ?

i always rented one of their box trailers so it was enclosed and out of the elements

Old 02-09-2006, 12:17 AM
MOking
Tourer

Stay away from the Moto Trailer unless you hate your bike.

I towed a bike to the Smokies last year. Hauled from St. Louis to Gatlinburg, TN. We stopped at 3 U-Haul dealers to have new tires put on/have the trailer inspected. It would vibrate like a bastard and shake the heck out of the bike and car the whole way down. Every U-Haul place (except the one that rented it to me) said the trailers were designed for short hauls only and not intended for highway use b/c of the lack of balanced tires and no shocks.

Every UHaul location said we should have rented a heavier trailer with shocks. They would not let me swap trailers b/c the motorcycle trailers are not intended to transfer from one store to another.

I now have no love for U-Haul or their trailers.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:34 PM
AZJOE
Advanced

I have rented u haul M/C trailers and they told me they are not for highway use. But they have a 5x8 with a ramp that works great. has 6 heavy duty tie downs.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:28 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Their galvanized 5x8 ramp trailer (RT) is a decent one, they are somewhat newer and in better shape. Both have tie downs in the proper places. Their motorcycle trailers are usually beat up with bad tires, but on a couple of occasions I have found a good one. Both pull OK. You don't need a front wheel chock on either one, just a little tricky getting the bike tied down without the chock. Bike-Pro makes a chock with a portable stand that can be used on the trailer or in your garage or fixed mounted. I got tired of the U-Haul thing and just purchased a enclosed Featherlite trailer.

Steve

Old 02-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteveO

Their galvanized 5x8 ramp trailer (RT) is a decent one, they are somewhat newer and in better shape. Both have tie downs in the proper places. Their motorcycle trailers are usually beat up with bad tires, but on a couple of occasions I have found a good one. Both pull OK. You don't need a front wheel chock on either one, just a little tricky getting the bike tied down without the chock. Bike-Pro makes a chock with a portable stand that can be used on the trailer or in your garage or fixed mounted. I got tired of the U-Haul thing and just purchased a enclosed Featherlite trailer.

Steve
Thats the move Iam going to make

Old 02-14-2006, 06:16 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I checked out a Featherlite and also a Classic. The Classic won out ($3200.) and was at least 1K cheaper. I got an 8' V-nose, model CVT85SIM and it handles my 06 EG Classic handily.

Check them out: http://www.classicmfg.com

PS: Classic lists their prices, but they are before freight charges.
[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/6462566D51F7442590C5647654B2A457.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-14-2006, 08:20 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

soos,

where did you buy your trailer? I've been thinking of one myself to use as a portable garage instead of always covering my bike with a bike cover.
Had thought about building a shed(i have no garage) but it would be money better spent for me,to be able to trailer the bike for repairs if need be and use it to house my bike during riding season.

thanks

Old 02-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the purpose of a motorcycle trailer? I've ridden my "other" bike coast to coast. It was the most fun experience of my life with maybe one exception. I will do it again only on another route. Ride that mother....

Old 02-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wolf

What is the purpose of a motorcycle trailer? [sm=GrowUp.gif] I've ridden my "other" bike coast to coast. It was the most fun experience of my life with maybe one exception. I will do it again only on another route. Ride that mother....

Quick Reply: Has anybody rented a U Haul motorcycle trailer ?