Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Opener - Great Idea for those w/ DSC Alarm Systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:49 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garage Opener - Great Idea for those w/ DSC Alarm Systems

Obviously I have a few advantages by owning an Alarm Company, but I installed a separate alarm system in the garage yesterday and while installing it, I added a DPDT Relaytothepanel which allows me to tie the overhead door operator into the system. I then installeda wireless keypad which allows me to use a keyfob remote to arm and disarm the alarm system as I ride up on my bike, and also programmed one of the 4 buttons on the remote to trigger the garage door. What makes this cool is the fact that I always keep my keys in my windshield bags where they are always handy. Just pull up, hit the remote to turn the alarm off, and hit button 3 to open and close the door. I configured it so the door cannot be opened unless the alarm is off. If any of you guys have an alarm system on your garage, you gotta have one of these installed. It works slicker thansnot and keeps me from having a garage remote on the bike or having to interface one into the bike. Having it configured with the alarm system is way cool cause I hit it when entering, and hit it again on the way out and everything is up and armed. My garage is something like fort knox with all the stuff I've added to it but that sits just fine with me cause I like my toys protected.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts
Default RE: Garage Opener - Great Idea for those w/ DSC Alarm Systems

That sounds like a great set up. I hardly ever lock my garage, nothing in there to steal. My workshop were my tools are is a different building. My wife always gives me crap because I always lock my shop up when I am leaving, but usually not the house...........

I have the harley garage door opener on my bike though. It's wired to the high/low beam switch. It is really nice not to have to carry a door opener anymore.

Dennis

Old 04-02-2008, 02:04 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I call it my Garage but it is in fact my shop and is a stand alone building. I used to have it alarmed with wireless devices and tied to the house alarm, but finally got around to installing a separate system out there with separate communications. Now it's armed 24/7 unless it occupied. I also secure the doors with Medeco High Security Locks and barred the windows so it's buttoned upgood now.I've been a locksmith for close to 28 years so I guess I'm a little bit **** about securing things.

Just wanted to share a little trick of the trade for those who have alarm systems where their bikes are stored. Relays are cheap, and adding a wireless kit for remote entry is not hard to do at all. Sure makes it easy to arm and disarm from the bike as you enter or leave.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM
HawgriderPa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice to have spare panels around..

I ended up looping my garage tripsthru a relay on one 24 hour zone on my existing panel.. with the rest of it as you have (wireless fob and relays).. that way, the garage is armed regardless of the rest of the house..