Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals vs. Stock Header - Not Power, Just Sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:53 PM
bsharris
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals vs. Stock Header - Not Power, Just Sound

I am not asking this question regarding power, I know that a stock exhaust (psuedo two into one) will give me more torque than true duals. My question is more related to sound. Here is my current setup. I am running the stock header pipe (obviously), V&H ovals, thundermax with autotune, and the Arlen Ness big sucker kit.I only have about 25 miles on this setup.I like the sound ok, but I would like to have just a little more of a throatier sound and maybe a tadd louder. If I put on the Vance & Hines true dual header pipes, will the pipes sound a little more towards what I am looking for? It seems that it may gain a little soundsimply from seperating the cylinder exhaust better, but I was also curious about the inner pipe diameter of the V&H header pipe vs. the stock one. If it were larger, it seems that would give me a little more of the throatier sound, does anyone know the spec differences between the two and am I on the right track in my thinking? Will more miles on the slipons wake them up a bit? Any and all thoughts welcome. As a side note, when I do the duals, I would also like to installa set of HQ500 cams. I won't be doing any headwork or boring yet. From everything I have read, this is a great cam that can give me significant improvements now and can "grow" with further head work or a big bore kit down the road. It seems to me that a bigger cam (and hopefully loapier at idle) allowing more fuel and air in would also change the sound slightly? Thoughts on this as well please. Thanks in advance for everyone's great advice, as always.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:21 PM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: True Duals vs. Stock Header - Not Power, Just Sound

can't speak regarding the cam, but you will like the improvement in sound vs the OEM pipes. It will be more balanced, and will be louder for sure. You will notice a more peaky power curve as you lose torque, but will gain top-end power. It is fun, sounds loads better, and simply is a good choice, especially if you are going to build the bike as it allows for more flow. As you progress in a build, typically you will have more flow as the power increases.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:28 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes the true duals will be louder and sounddeeper

Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
o5ultra
Club Member

you like the sound of the true duels deeper and louder

Old 04-04-2008, 01:32 PM
gibbyflhx
Cruiser

I noticed a big difference with my vh duals. Once they were installed the sound was alot more even and noticebly louder. I am running the super trapp slip ons as well. I think it cleans up the bike alot as well.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:28 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer

Duals sound awsome and get ready to hear about how much low end torque you are going to lose. Trust me it is alot of crap, If you get a good tune it will run better than it did with stock pipes.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:55 PM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i decided to stay with the stock header and just run with the Rinehart mufflers. I have sat with my machine next to one with the true duals and we fired them up separately and together and this is my ear opinion.

The stock header has a more mellow, but deeper sound while the true duals has a more open and a bit more raspy/more harshsound. The net difference in sound was maybe 10% from hearing sound until you open it up all the way, then it is significant (25% to 50%.)

I would rather spend $$ on the free flowing muffs or tuning than on a non stock header. But then again, my bike hasn't got all that hot on the right side as others have mentioned...(I have a dyno tune though)

But this is just my .02... And when you order the Rineharts, you can ask for the High Performance insert asjust one of them. It seems to me that it was just over $50 for the HP packing.

Again, this is just my .02.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Ultra007
Tourer

I've been there and done all that. Glad to arrived at something you like.
I've gone from stock to stock header pipes with SuperTrapp Touring SE slipons to stock header pipes w/ "Y-pipe modification" with the SuperTrapps to now Rineharts (standard baffles). I'llhave tosay for sound and general power, the Rineharts kick some booty. I gained over 10hp with the Rineharts over the previous configuration. The torque loss was minimal, maybe 5 lbs under 3000 rpm. 103", SE Performance heads (cleaned up), forged flattops,SE 251 cams and a SERT. As motor power goes up, the sound from "more restrictive" exhausts seems to get too "snappy" for my tastes.
By the way, the Y-pipe modification, did gain about 4 or 5 hp and did deepen the sound some too.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 PM
steelhead
Road Master

I can't speak for the ovals as I went from stock headers and V&H Basics to V&H dresser duals and the Basics. Not radically louder but it is louder. At idle, I can only describe it as sounding like the bike is under water -- blub, blub, blub. At idle I don't think it is louder at all but definetly a different sound. At cruising RPMs it is slightly louder and a nice balanced sound. When you roll on though they really shine. Much more defined sound, noticably louder and certainly meaner sounding.

I don't think you will be disapointed.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 PM
linck241
Advanced

ORIGINAL: 04 rkcrr

Duals sound awsome and get ready to hear about how much low end torque you are going to lose. Trust me it is alot of crap, If you get a good tune it will run better than it did with stock pipes.

Amen to that. I put BUB 7 True duals on without the crossover and I noticed way more pull than the stock setup on my butt dyno.
Very happy with it and yes your V&H will be louder with true dual setup versus stock headpipes.

Quick Reply: True Duals vs. Stock Header - Not Power, Just Sound