Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull back bars without changing cables?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Harleyduo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull back bars without changing cables?

I have a lady friend that still feels she has to stretch to reach her handle bars on her 2007 Ultra. She's already put on a REACH seat and even sent it in and had extra padding installed to move her closer. Has anybody found any bars that will come back a couple inches further but don't require the added expense of replacing all the cables? (Harley says their REACH bars require replacing all the cables.) I was hoping that somebody else might make some that are narrower or in some other way yields extra cable length so that expense can be spared. She'a also reduced the height of the front end with the lowering kit from Harley. Man, we're only talking a couple of inches or so, here...Hopefully somebody else has done it and any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:54 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Pull back bars without changing cables?

no problem u have some slack in there couple inches wont bother anything,just be sure to check everything when u get done make sure nothing hangs turn it lock to lock with it running to guarntee throttle is free.we just put 12inch apes on a roadking it works fine but that would be the max.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Secretec
Intermediate

Kromewerks, check them out. 300503 may work for her. Here's the site. http://www.khromewerks.com/

Good luck..

Old 07-28-2007, 06:11 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

THERE IS NO EASY SAFE WAY. YOU WILL HAVE TO REPLACE THE CABLES. YOU COULD TAKE A CHANCE BUT IT IS A DANGEROUS GAMBLE.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went the way of the dealer installed pull backs on my last two bikes. As far as I'm concerned, replace the cables. No sense in putting ourselves into a riskier position in that one instant when you need your controls to perform like you hope they will.

Arvid

Old 07-29-2007, 03:32 PM
RandyNC
Tourer

I put 10' rise handlebars on my RKCustom...didn't have to change cables...had plenty of cable. The only thing I had to add was the wiring inside the bars had to be extended 12'...

Old 07-31-2007, 05:02 PM
will2062
Advanced

I just changed out my 07 ultra bars last week to chubby pull backs. All of the cables were ok except for the clutch cable. You will have to change out the clutch cable due to it bringing the bar back approx. 2 inches. It was not difficult to change out the clutch cable. The extended cable is in harley's catalog in touring section under their pull back handle bars, bottom of right side page. My harley dealer stocked the item. Love the pull chubby backs. Just got back from running the dragon's tail in Tenn. 2 days ago.Also have a set ofrear loweringair shock if interested. If you want more info. about changing out the bars e-mail me at edge2edge@comcast.net .

Old 07-31-2007, 05:02 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.wild1inc.com/handlebars.html

Old 07-31-2007, 05:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

I have the Khromewerks bars mentioned a few posts up and they are awesome. I had to replace the clutch cable but got by without the throttle/idle cables for awhile. I have since changed them as well as the throttle was sticking a tad, especially lock left and right.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:42 PM
pfd161
Cruiser

Yup Wild1 Chubby's no cables changed...clutch cable out of fairing though, gently reshape brake line...
works GREAT looks even better.
D.

Quick Reply: Pull back bars without changing cables?