Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI setup after new exhaust installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:35 PM
merlini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI setup after new exhaust installation

I ride a 2004 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic, fuel injected. I want to change my stock OEM mufflers to a nostalgic fishtail muffler that has an OEM number, not purchased from HD. A Purely cosmetic thing, I love the way this bike runs and rides, I don't need more performance, I just like fishtail mufflers.

Heres my dilema,

I've installed the fishtails. NOW, Do I need to re-set MAP on my EFI afterwards? The dealer wants a mere $400.00 to do this. I've discussed options with many shops and get different answers, all of which are expensive in one way or another. I'm not concerned with the money as much as with what I actually have to do to make sure this bike is running right. Too lean is a melt down, too rich is fouled plugs, either way is a pain. I know the aftermarket injection control modules like the Power Commander III allows you to modify the map on the EFI, but how do you know what settings you need to do to correct the air/fuel curve. If you don't know what the difference is between the muffler flow characteristics of the mufflers you removed vs. the flow characteristics of the mufflers you installed, you are just guessing. As far as I know there is no way for me, the weekend mechanic, to determine what the flow differences are or what the volumetric efficiency is of the cylinders. Apparently the Harley mechanics aren't sure eiter. If you install or want to install non original equipment parts, they make their best guess at the MAP, at least thats the way I understand based on what they've told me. The bike seems to be running fine and I'm keeping an eye on the plugs to make sure I'm not too lean but long trips are out of the question until I know for sure what needs to be done or I put the stock mufflers back on. I guess what I want to know is - Is re-mapping the EFI an absolute necessity, is it mandatory when you replace one OEM muffler with another OEM muffler or is re-mapping just a way of insuring that the motor is running at peak performance. And ultimately, will it hurt the bike to not re-map the EFI if it is not running lean or rich?

Old 03-05-2005, 11:43 PM
investorsc
Road Master
Default RE: EFI setup after new exhaust installation

Did you change the air cleaner?..... I don't think your really changed very much to need the remap, and if a remap is required, the air cleaner change to Screamin Eagle is relatively inexpensive.

BRUCE

Old 03-06-2005, 12:09 AM
merlini
1st Gear

I'm still running completely stock with the exception of the new slip-on mufflers.

Old 03-06-2005, 12:28 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

id have to agree with bruce, dont think just mufflers would make a big deal i have several friends with injected harleys and none of them went back for a remap. but if you ask your service guy......break out you check book!

Old 03-06-2005, 12:40 AM
oldschool
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

You should be find with just the slip on's. When I bought my 2001 Deuce I ran the V/H pro pipe exhaust before I went to the stage 1. The only reason I waited at the time cuz Harley had the chip on back order. I was told by Harley that the factory brain box allowed some tolerance for the addition of different pipes. I ran it like that for about 2 weeks before the chip came. It ran find.

Old 03-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Triple Z
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you leave the stock a/c intact, you can change the pipes without reflashing the ECM. Then, ride it and see how the motor performs.
BTW...If your $tealer wants to charge you $400 just to reflash the ECM, you're getting ripped.

Old 03-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Triple Z

If you leave the stock a/c intact, you can change the pipes without reflashing the ECM. Then, ride it and see how the motor performs.
BTW...If your $tealer wants to charge you $400 just to reflash the ECM, you're getting ripped.

Ditto.....

Old 03-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am about ready to pick up an '05 Roadking - I'm also changing out the stock mufflers; however, I am also changing the air cleaner. Trying to let a little more air in and exhaust out. I'm having the Power Commander installed and it will be remapped on a dino after I get around 1000 miles on it; until then, the service manager is going to use a stock map rather than putting it on a dino. I was told, and I stand to be corrected here, that either the Techlusion or the Power Commander are best set up on a dino - otherwise, it's just a guessing game. However, with a new engine, I prefer to put some miles on it first. It sure looks like there's a lot of potential in the H-D 88 c.i. engine that can be gotten with the proper strategy. Being a born tinkerer, I am starting to do much reading on the subject.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:41 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

The price if the re-map it less that 150.00 according the the Harley Davidson parts and accessories catalog. You might want to bring this to the service managers attention.

According the the HD parts and accessories catalog, you don't have to re-map if you only change to the slip-on touring mufflers with the fishtail end caps. I think I read this in the catalog, but you might want to check it just to be sure.

If the bike is not running lean or rich, the mufflers are not going to hurt the engine at all. These engines run so lean from the factory, however, I would sure keep an eye on the plugs, and make sure that you are not lean.

By the way, my ElectraGlide runs really good with the SE aircleaner, (140.00) Touring slip-on mufflers, (around 500.00 with tips), and the re-map (150.00).

Hopes this helps.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-06-2005, 12:30 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

A buddy of mine has a 2003 RK. He put SEII's w/o the Stage I upgrade. Dealer told him it was not neccesary to do the remap with just the slip ons...that was 10K miles ago. He has had NO problems.

Mac

Quick Reply: EFI setup after new exhaust installation