Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chopped Tour Pak lock kit question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Chopped Tour Pak lock kit question

Riddle me this batman. Is there a reason why the Chopped Tour Pak lock kit 53194-07 is listed as that??? It works on all tour paks or would seem to. Just went to the local dealer today to order my lock kit for my King. The parts guy took the parts diagram breakdown of the King t/p and compared it to the parts breakdown from the Chopped t/p lock kit and all the parts are exactly the same. The only thing that is not included is the bottom latch which I ordered seperately. Man they make this chit so difficult.[:@]

Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Chopped Tour Pak lock kit question

IIRC, the King has the lock installed, but not the chopped version--or at least that was the case when I ordered my stuff in late '06. And if all that rigmarole weren't enough, digest this: You'll probably need more parts. Back when I ordered my chopped TP and lock kit, this didn't get the lock installed. It required these additional parts, totalling only maybe $10 more:

Guide (53617-86)
Washer, lock, support (53641-02)
Nut (84850-92)
Cam hook (90606-92)

Now, why don't they just include these parts in the lock kit? Maybe they do now, but I would inquire, as you'll need them.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:57 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

Riddle me this batman. Is there a reason why the Chopped Tour Pak lock kit 53194-07 is listed as that??? It works on all tour paks or would seem to. Just went to the local dealer today to order my lock kit for my King. The parts guy took the parts diagram breakdown of the King t/p and compared it to the parts breakdown from the Chopped t/p lock kit and all the parts are exactly the same. The only thing that is not included is the bottom latch which I ordered seperately. Man they make this chit so difficult. [:@]
Do you have to drill a hole for the lock? If so, how are you going to locate the hole correctly.

I just ordered all the parts I need to install a lock in my tourpak which does not have a hole in the lid for the lock. Now I have to drill the hole.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

IIRC, the King has the lock installed, but not the chopped version--or at least that was the case when I ordered my stuff in late '06. And if all that rigmarole weren't enough, digest this: You'll probably need more parts. Back when I ordered my chopped TP and lock kit, this didn't get the lock installed. It required these additional parts, totalling only maybe $10 more:

Guide (53617-86)
Washer, lock, support (53641-02)
Nut (84850-92)
Cam hook (90606-92)

Now, why don't they just include these parts in the lock kit? Maybe they do now, but I would inquire, as you'll need them.

Sounds like you just got the barrel lock and keys. The parts you have listed are in the kit 53194-07 along with the barrel lock. The only thing missing is the bottom latch that goes on the bottom part of the t/p and the two screws that go with it.

I'm just trying to figure out why the have the kit listed for a Chopped t/p when it works with Chopped and Kings. And why the hell they don't include the bottom latch when it is necessary for the install.

sifularson: All of the tour paks are supposed to be pre-drilled for locking hardware.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:35 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not only that but I believe the hole has a flat spot so the lock won't
turn in the lid.
Go see your buddy and take his apart and make a template.
Drill hole one or two sizes small, use a small file or a dremo.
Seems my tour pack the hole was marked on the inside in the casting.
But this three or four years back.
ORIGINAL: sifularson

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

Riddle me this batman. Is there a reason why the Chopped Tour Pak lock kit 53194-07 is listed as that??? It works on all tour paks or would seem to. Just went to the local dealer today to order my lock kit for my King. The parts guy took the parts diagram breakdown of the King t/p and compared it to the parts breakdown from the Chopped t/p lock kit and all the parts are exactly the same. The only thing that is not included is the bottom latch which I ordered seperately. Man they make this chit so difficult.[:@]
Do you have to drill a hole for the lock? If so, how are you going to locate the hole correctly.

I just ordered all the parts I need to install a lock in my tourpak which does not have a hole in the lid for the lock. Now I have to drill the hole.