Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Road King Custom Ape & Seat Queries

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 02:10 PM
ebolafever
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Road King Custom Ape & Seat Queries

Hi, having just bought an 06 RK Custom with a plan for 16" apes, i was wondering if anyone had used these guys from Ebay before and if so what their experiences were? Seems like a decent package?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...QQcmdZViewItem

Happy to listen to recommended retailers from Forum members who've had good servicein the past.
Can anyone chip in the height of the RK Custom risers? Mine seem pretty covered in there...lol

Also require a good looking solo seat and Fishtail slip ons.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:21 PM
brabbit
Intermediate
Default RE: 2006 Road King Custom Ape & Seat Queries

That's just what I have been looking for, let me know how well they did on the wiring.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Fragzilla
6th Gear

Hey,

I purchased the drag/T bar package from these guys a few weeks ago and have a few comments:

What I got was: T - Bars, Chrome Controls, and braded lines

Quality:

Chrome - is OK - not perfect but acceptable.

Fit up on the controls - not as tight as harley controls, there is some misalignment issues. Little gaps here and there that the owner notices more than anyone else. Im OK with the way they turned out - I think this winter I will be taking my old controls and getting them chromed and putting them back on though. Where the right mirror mounts to the control there is not enough room between the mirror mounting hole and the master cylinder to fit an after market mirror - i.e Arlen Ness. what I ended up having to do is grind down some of the stem of the mirror to makeit fit. Turned out very well though - no one would ever notice it including me now that it is done.

Control screws - SUCK - the head stripped on two of the four screws, poor quality allen head screws. Part of my problem too may have been trying to get the control fit up tight as I mentioned. So I had them on and off a number of times before getting them to look OK.

Swithes - not OEM electrical switches - they do work (so far)

No clutch signal wiring (not sure what you call it) When you go to start your bike and it is in gear it wont start - this in normal, pull in the clutch and it will start. Well with these controls they donttakethat into consideration,so you have to beout of gear to start it (at least I do the way I have it set up). In the stock wiring harness there is eight wires for your left control. These controls only have six wires - the two that are missing are cluch signal wires. Now I just have them open ended not sure what would happen if I contacted them together?

The connectors they sent for the wiring harness were wrong - they sent small roung female connectors, what was required was the small male spade connectors. I ended up wiring my stock wiring housing to them. The wiring they use is exactly the same color of wires as OEM - this made it easy to wire.

Braded lines - are just after market lines nothing special - I think I got a couple different MFG's one I remember was russel.

The clutch cables were too long - but I was able to make them work.The master cylinder line to central hub was OUT TO LUNCH as far as the fittings go. The two lines that go from the hub to the calipers were correct.

Shipping - items were packaged very good. From the day I paid for them it took about2.5 - 3weeks for them to arrive on my doorstep - I live in Canada so that will add up for a little extra time, but I think it took WAY TO LONG to get them.

Service - I sent a number of emails tring to get my issues looked after and got no response - finaly I stated that Negetive Feedback will be coming if they dont contact me, next day got a phone message and to date I have not called them back..at this point I have it all together - they DO LOOK GOOD and they work. - Not sure if I will be following up with them.

I dont want to sound too down on these guys as I do like the way my bike turned out. And for what I paid for them there are alright.

If I were to do it all over again:

If I was trying to keep cost down.
I would source out the lines the bars and the controls from any of the after market suppliers and piece them together myself, that IMO is all these guys are doing, they run the wires through the bars for you and thats really it.

If I didnt mind spending a couple more bucks.
Chrome my OEM controls or buying chromed OEM ones and sourcing out the rest.

If you want some pics PM and I will forward some

Old 05-04-2008, 03:59 AM
ebolafever
Novice

Thanks for that advice Jeff. I think I'll give them a miss.

Still need pipes and a solo seat, I'll look for bars & cables through recommendations.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would buy each part fromseperate to ensure I got what I wanted... My $0.02..