Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penske Racing Shocks...install & initial review

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Penske Racing Shocks...install & initial review

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

wish'd i'da bought these first....the Penske shock keeps the rear tire glued to the ground for ultimate traction while the seat barely moves.....good thing bc friday nite a week ago we got caught on the Smokie Mtn Nat Parkway in the big storm that killed several....trees were breakin off and falling in the road...it was hailing sideways....the leaves were shredded and covered the ground, it looked like oregano with pearl onions and to top it off, a white out condition bc of the intense fog....i rode it with toni .... of the group of 10 bikes we were the ONLY one to not drop or crash...i attribute this to the performance of the Penske shock....it positively located the rear tire ON the ground....
I hope everyone else came through alright. Thanks for posting your follow up observations Bryan.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:45 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

cool

Old 05-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm up next for some of Howards shocks, gotta get me going on them so I can get them on before I leave for my 3 week trip in 5 weeks.
I love the full floating rotors Howard made for my RG, they look great and stop even better!! Plus half the weight of the stock solid rotors

Old 05-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

all of us were in 1st gear....some scrapes and mud....bout all for damage tho

Old 06-08-2014, 09:04 AM
wam6187
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bryan,

Thank you for taking the time to write up a review. I have decided to replace the shocks on my '10 SG but I was on the fence about what brand. Based on what you have written, and information from Howard's site, I am going to bite the bullet and go with the Penske's. Now comes the hard part. How do I convince the wife we need to spend double what I had originally told her...

Thanks

Bill

Old 06-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Hukamosh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell her it is her butt that will benefit!!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by wam6187
Bryan,

Thank you for taking the time to write up a review. I have decided to replace the shocks on my '10 SG but I was on the fence about what brand. Based on what you have written, and information from Howard's site, I am going to bite the bullet and go with the Penske's. Now comes the hard part. How do I convince the wife we need to spend double what I had originally told her...

Thanks

Bill
Bill, Bryan wrote his thread back in 2008 and a lot has happened over that time! Howard is still around, an HDF sponsor, and may be able to build you a set of Penskes, but he can also offer you Ohlins and JRI. JRI are new kids on the block, but born out of Penske. Give Howard a call, you'll get great service and excellent shocks, whatever you go with.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

How would Penske, JRI, and Ohlins stack up against each other? I have some triple adjust Axis shocks on an Moto-X ATV and was impressed with their quality and performance, I think Penske bought out Axis years back.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Reminds me. I need to contact Howard. My Ohlins are not quite right.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Sc0-
How would Penske, JRI, and Ohlins stack up against each other? I have some triple adjust Axis shocks on an Moto-X ATV and was impressed with their quality and performance, I think Penske bought out Axis years back.
Not easy to answer that! The Penske shocks that Howard builds are based on racing car shocks AFAIK, so he custom builds them for our application. The Ohlins and JRI are bike shocks, JRI being the latest and as I mention above, born out of Penske. Call Howard and I'm sure he will give you the lowdown on all three!

Quick Reply: Penske Racing Shocks...install & initial review