Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:37 AM
BillinNY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio

Do you guys using a satellite radio set up, are you using the portable unit or the dock & play type? I'm thinking about getting a unit for use on the bike, car and office.

Thanks for any & all replies,
-Bill-

Old 05-09-2008, 06:54 AM
jmorton10
Road Captain
Default RE: Satellite Radio

I have both Sirius & XM radioin my truck. If I had to choose one or the other, I would take Sirius anyday but it is mainly because I am a HUGE NFL football fan & XM does not have the NFL stuff (XM has Nascar, but I HATE stock car racing as I'm an old time NHRA drag racer).

I use a dedicated Sirius setup on my bike that plugs right into my head unit & allows me to control it just like any other radio function.

All day at work, I use a Stilleto 2 portable (hooked to a Linksys wireless router) to listen inside the building I work in.

~John

Old 05-09-2008, 07:00 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That sirius unit plugs right into the Harmon/Kardon radio? Where did you get that?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 AM
BillinNY
Tourer

Thanks for the reply John, I'm new to the satellite radio scene, does one monthly subscription cover multiple units?

-Bill-

Old 05-09-2008, 07:04 AM
jmorton10
Road Captain

One monthly subscription only covers one unit (which is really annoying), but the 2nd 3rd 4th etc units are substantially discounted.

As to the Harmon Kardon question, my unit is a Clarion aftermarket unit.

~John

Old 05-09-2008, 07:07 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have an XM on mine and just use the FM Modulator most of the time. If I am in a big city with a lot of interference on the FM stations I will plug directly to the stereo with a cord from Radio Shack.

BIll

Old 05-09-2008, 07:53 AM
HawgriderPa
Road Captain

I've got the XM built in on the harmon Kardon, and added the Sirius module, since I got a gift of a year free.
I got a Radio Shack short cig lighter plug and use that for the power, I use it's FM transmitter since I've got an MP3 player plugged into the Aux input on the Radio.. but you could plug in a Sirius receiver that has the line out function also.

I used double sided weatherproof foam tape to mount the Sirius Antenna to the inner fairing right in front of the right brake.

Subscriptions are for one unit at full monthly rate, and a much reduced rate for additional receivers ($6 a month roughly)
There is a merger in the works for both companies, and they're stating you'll be able to use existing equipment and pick your own channels.. it's been thru a couple of federal hurdles.. last one is coming up with the FCC.. supposidly rates will go down...

Here's a pic of my setup.. email me if you need any help

[IMG]local://upfiles/55933/88DEADE0924E47D4914FCA2AB2196754.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought the remote xm unit, it was a pita to install neatly where it tried to look professional. Still had wires sticking out, then once I opened the package it said dont overexpose screen to sunlight. So I went and bought the HD unit....expensive but sweet, no wires, and can use stock controls for radio. Going to put remote unit in wifes car.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:58 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the HD unit that is connected inside the fairing. It was on the bike when I bought it. I just activated it the other day...I don't think I have used the radio since...lol

Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sirius also offers you free online listining with their paid subscription. I also bought the sub box, portable jam box. We listen too it while laying out by the pool and the plug and play unit plugs right into it. Classic rewind is my favorite station.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio