Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20,000 mile check

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 AM
buffettphan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 20,000 mile check

Thinking of a 20,000 mile check for the bike. Is there such a thing? What will the dealer do? What am i looking at for cost and is it worth the green, if it even exist's.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, there is a 20k mile service and you can do it yourself. Get yourself a service manual and it will list everything that needs to be done.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a big fan of someone that is not a tech, doing his own service. You only have two wheels on the vehicle and if you don't know what to look for, you could be putting yourself at risk. Now I'm sure, there are a lot of people out there that can do there own fluid changes, but adjustments maybe a little different. Just my opinion. I get a kick out of people that do the own oil changes on their vehicles to save $5.00-$10.00 dollars once every 3-4 months. Then they have to deal with oil disposal and the time it takes to do the job, not to mention, that at most service facilities, with the vehicle being up in the air is when it's being inspected for possible repair issues.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 AM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I do all my services and the only thing I bring the bike in for is I have the dealer do the fork oil change (at every 20k). I know I could do the work but I don't have the correct tools for this work and don't mind the dealer taking a few minutes to look the bike over.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe in working on my vehicle and I save a lot more than $5 or $10. I also believe in having it done right and the only way is to do that myself. Invest a few bucks in a manual and some $ in tools and get to work. Nothing is too difficult. Yes, you only have two wheels, but with a little bit of studying and asking questions on here it can be learned. All of the service info is in the factory service manual. I have seen too many people with problems related to having had the services done at the dealer.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the 20k service is the same as the 10k. Should cost between $300 and $400 at the dealer.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdoghd
I'm not a big fan of someone that is not a tech, doing his own service. You only have two wheels on the vehicle and if you don't know what to look for, you could be putting yourself at risk. Now I'm sure, there are a lot of people out there that can do there own fluid changes, but adjustments maybe a little different. Just my opinion. I get a kick out of people that do the own oil changes on their vehicles to save $5.00-$10.00 dollars once every 3-4 months. Then they have to deal with oil disposal and the time it takes to do the job, not to mention, that at most service facilities, with the vehicle being up in the air is when it's being inspected for possible repair issues.
I'm not a big fan of those that like to lump everyone that does their own maintenance into one pile of cheapness and stupidity. While I'm not a "tech" I do my own work as do a great number of HD owners. I do my own maintenance BECAUSE of the "techs" at the dealer in my area. Their incompetence know no bounds and I cannot trust them to do even a simple fluid change. I do my own maintenance because it gives me a chance to check things that the "techs" never look at. The simple truth is that many MoCo techs simply don't take the time to do an inspection or double check their work, sad to say. And I'm not picking on HD here and I'm not saying there aren't some Bozo's out there that should never pick up a wrench but there's a large number of us that have found that if we want it done right we have to do it ourselves.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 AM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
I'm not a big fan of those that like to lump everyone that does their own maintenance into one pile of cheapness and stupidity. While I'm not a "tech" I do my own work as do a great number of HD owners. I do my own maintenance BECAUSE of the "techs" at the dealer in my area. Their incompetence know no bounds and I cannot trust them to do even a simple fluid change. I do my own maintenance because it gives me a chance to check things that the "techs" never look at. The simple truth is that many MoCo techs simply don't take the time to do an inspection or double check their work, sad to say. And I'm not picking on HD here and I'm not saying there aren't some Bozo's out there that should never pick up a wrench but there's a large number of us that have found that if we want it done right we have to do it ourselves.
Well said, if there's an issue I'm not comfortable with, my bike goes to the local Indy. I'm sure not all do, but my dealer's service dept. flat out sucks.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:49 AM
flylock
Tourer

I'll change oil myself, put brake pads on. but for the 20k service I took my dyna in to my local indy that I really trust. He said the 20000 service is a big one and takes them 5 hrs. labor. charged me almost 300 for it. and I thought that was plenty fair compared to the dealer.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:59 AM
txbazzman
Advanced

I may be weird but I am sure some of you all feel this way. I spend all day in fornt of computers and Working on my vehicles is theurputic not mention makes me feel manly after leaving a desk job

Quick Reply: 20,000 mile check