Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Brembo Brake Squeal

Old 05-12-2008, 08:06 PM
mtb017
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Brembo Brake Squeal

Complained to dealer about a bad rear brake squeal. I mean obnoxious! Bike has the Brembo ABS, whichare great. The squeal is not! Long story, Harley said it is aware of the problem and is working with Brembo to rectify it. In the meantime they scuffed the rotor and pads, did a test ride, as prescbribed by Harley, and said the squeal is gone. It was... for about 25 miles. Not as bad now, but I am waiting for the "real" fix. They said some bikes are worse than others,(no kidding). I rarely even use the rear, except for parking lots and when coming to a standing stop from slow. Anyone else have any info on this situation? I know, I know..lyndals, which I will when the time comes... I mean any info about Harley's position on this problem.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Copper Hog
Cruiser
Default RE: 08 Brembo Brake Squeal

Mine too. Squeal like crazy. Dealer charged me 40 bucks to clean the pads and rotors and within 10 miles they were squeaking again.

Patiently waiting for the acknowledgement of the problem and a fix.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Copper Hog

Mine too. Squeal like crazy. Dealer charged me 40 bucks to clean the pads and rotors and within 10 miles they were squeaking again.

And you paid them ? that should be covered on a new bike.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 PM
AISTQM
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine have squealed on every Harley I've owned. Replace them with Lyndall z pads and it goes away.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:29 PM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ripper43

ORIGINAL: Copper Hog

And you paid them ? that should be covered on a new bike.
Copper, I agree with ripper, you were their 40 dollar *****, cause they f'd that money out of you. Sorry dude. I did have them re-align my front end to correct serious drag. They came and got the bike, fixed it, told me to enjoy the ride. My back squeal at real slow speads. Scuffing and cleaning them gets you away from the shop with a smile, but it will come back until they change out pads or rotors maybe.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Newharleyowner
4th Gear

Hey i have a 2008 RKC with ABS also..I have almost 700 miles and havent had any problems with the brakes squealing...

Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the Lyndal pads on and it is better but it still squeals... I'm simply learning to live with it. It stops really well and that's all that matters to me. In the early 70's I had a car that did the same thing... I changed rotors, pads, and it still squealed but it stopped on a dime.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:10 PM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

I have an '08 RKC and had a lot of problems with the front and back brakes. After about 1,000 miles thing got better, especially on the rearbrakes.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Jsans
Tourer

If I recall back in the day when doing my vehicle's disc brakes..... There was a rubberized liquid in a bottle available that you would apply to the metal backing plate of the brake pad that would significanlty reduce brake squeel. The idea was to dampen the vibration between the backing plate on the pad against the caliper (metal to metal) and reduce resonation.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 PM
dowork08
Tourer

mine 08 rear squeals, i was told the lyndell brake pads would fix it, but i figure for 22,000 harley should come out with a friggin fix

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 Brembo Brake Squeal