Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing HD Fog Lamp kit on Road King--Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 AM
RK_Custom
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing HD Fog Lamp kit on Road King--Help needed

As is common with Road Kings (I've got Custom 2007) and other Touring bikesthere is a factory installedharness for auxiliary lamps on my bike but I havenot yet any lampsinstalled. I recently purchased engine guard mounted fog lamp kit (see: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US).

If I use the accompanying harness with the kit the directions say that I have to remove the fueltank and all sorts of nasty stuff to route the harness. That is way too much hassle, and I also would like to use the already installed harnesses in the bike for the fog lamps for cleaner install. The info says the fog lampsuse 9 amps.

Now for my questions:
1. Does anyone know (perhaps by experience) whether the factory installedauxiliary lamp circuits will take 9 amps for sure?
2. And which switch on the forks is the auxiliary lamp switch, left or right side?
3.The circuits drawings in the maintainance manual say to use a frame ground for the minus (-). Which grounding points have you used for your auxiliary lamp kits? I've got the idea to use themiddle frame attachment pointof the engine guard as the frame grounding point (should provide deep frame grounding).
4. The auxiliary lamp circuit is routed through the headlight relay and fuse. The fuse is 15A. How much does the typical headlight draw? Will I overload the fuse if I add the fog lamps drawing 9 ampsto that fuse with the headlight? Could I just put say a 20 A fuse in there instead?

All help greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Advice on use of auxilary lamp circuits

Dude - do yourself a favor and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. It's obvious that you do NOT know what you're doin' electrically, an' you could screw yourself by tryin' to "shortcut" things. Do NOT try to upsize the headlight fuse, unless you enjoy replacin' wire harnesses....

Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The HD service manual provides the amperage and watts for the various bulbs and loads for the various circuits. You should be able to check to determine if the passing lamp circuit will be suitable for the fog lamps.

The HD instructions for electrical accessories do not provide directions to splice/hack wiring; and, for good reason. Personally, I'm all for finding an easier way to do things, but not at the risk of screwing up the bike.

Perhaps you can edit your thread's title to something like "Installing HD Fog Lamp kit on Road King--Help needed." You might get some good information that way.

If you are unsure of which switch operates the passing lamp circuit, you need more help than I can provide--good luck with your project.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:04 PM
RK_Custom
6th Gear

Harleypingman, I took your advice and changed the threadname in hope of more inputs.

However thank you for the input you fellas have provided. I am pretty sure there is a simpler way to install these fog lights than full front end removal (or close to, hehe).

Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added that lamp kit to my Heritage.

Yes, I pulled the fuel tank to route the new harness to the lamps. You are going to run a new power circuit to feed the lamps.

You basically are dealing with two circuits. One to run the lamps, one to run the relay that controls the lamps.

While there are a few things you can do on the control side, you pretty much must have that new power circuit from the battery to fuse to relay to lamp. Otherwise you run the risk of overheating connections and popping fuses.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:03 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like ya've got yer answer - albeit not the one ya wanted.<G>

One thing ya gotta understand is that an electrical circuit is designed fer a given load. While folks may tell ya how they "got away with it", ya gotta remember that by doin' so, yer puttin' an exspensive wirin' harness at risk - an' the MoCo will NOT repair it under warranty.

Take the time ta do it right - you'll be glad ya did later.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How many times I've stood and looked at my bike and wondered Why or can I do that?

Then I'll dig in and do it how it needs to be done and usually learn a few things on the way.

Do it right and you'll always be glad you did. I even invested in the molex crimp tool for the connectors and I will usually grab on to any "specialty tool" when there if I need it as part of the JOB for that matter. These investments always prove to be a good thing!

I am just glad to hear your doing the job yourself and using the most important tool around HDF!

Good luck and always ask if never sure!!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:09 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Relax...there is an easier way....glad you asked

Simply lift the dash and route your wires under it, not the tank.......takes all of ten minutes and the wires are protected and invisible.

That's how I installed the same lights on my '07 RK and I have no regrets.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:46 PM
RK_Custom
6th Gear

Thanks guys for your inputs.

I am going to look closer at Keith's suggestion. Were there any quirks to lifting up the dashboard for the cablerouting?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, it's really difficult...you yank one phillips screw just above the seat and the 1/2" nut below the speedo...then you lift the dash panel.....After that route the wires along either side of speedo and down along dash...the wires will emerge at bottom of tank and drop into depression below seat.....no danger of wire damage and very easy to do.....ten minutes max.

Quick Reply: Installing HD Fog Lamp kit on Road King--Help needed