Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chroming stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:34 AM
unitas
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chroming stock wheels

Hey guys, i have friend who's buddy does chroming. He told me that for $650.00 he will chrome my factory wheels. The only thing i need to do is get the wheeels to him. He will do everything else. Did not want to take tires or hardware off. He'd take care of the rest. So what i'm asking is that a good price? Has any of you done this? Units 06 SG Stage One SE Pipes

Old 02-24-2006, 12:36 AM
unitas
Advanced
Default RE: Chroming stock wheels

Sorry did make everything clear there. He wants to reamove all hardware and tires himself. He'd put them make on and balance wheel too.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:38 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

you would be better off buying new harley wheels. The aftermarket chroming does not hold up well. price is ok though if thats what you want to do.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:02 AM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time I agree with most guys on here, but this time, I have to strongly disagree. All of the H-D chrome parts I've bought in the past, has never held up. On the other hand, all the stuff I have sent off, and had chromed still looks great. Pretty much any chrome you see on my ride, was sent off. The price is great, if he is doing all the dismount/remount etc. It cost me $650.00 to have a set done, and I had to take everything apart. That was about 3 years, and 30k miles ago. They still look new today. My only suggestion would be to find a set of wheels on ebay, or wherever, send those to him, and sell your old ones after you get the chrome ones back. It just saves a lot of time, and keeps you riding while they are being done.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:07 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will he polish them prior to chroming? I have a "extra" set of Fat Boy wheels I have been looking at getting polised and chromed. And if he will do them and remove/install all the hardware for that price have him get ahold on me.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:36 AM
retimms
Advanced

Sounds like a great price, my SG wheels were sent off and polished and chromed. They look great and cost me $650.00 each. Also, I saw someone on E-Bay offering to chrome the wheels for $650.00, so that seems must be the going rate. Also, make sure you get the rotors polished as well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7698/8D794A103D8F49F39ADDCE51BF86D4B0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-24-2006, 09:38 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,090 Posts

ORIGINAL: unitas

Hey guys, i have friend who's buddy does chroming. He told me that for $650.00 he will chrome my factory wheels. The only thing i need to do is get the wheeels to him. He will do everything else. Did not want to take tires or hardware off. He'd take care of the rest. So what i'm asking is that a good price? Has any of you done this? Units 06 SG Stage One SE Pipes
One Harley dealer near me gets $599.00 exchange for chrome stock wheels, that includes grinding off the little casting ridge on each cast spoke. They also are on e-bay regularly for $600 exchange, so no, thats not a great deal if it's your buddy doing them for you.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:22 AM
MiniMe
Road Master

I was told to make sure they leave the stock bearings in and buy new ones. They said this is because after the croming is done the wheel bearings do not always fit back into place. I was told you do not want to have to mill them out afterwards because of the chance of making the wholes to big. So by leaving the stock bearings in the crome will not build up there. Just a thought.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:15 AM
timbo
Cruiser

Here is a very easy solution for you, call Chrome Pros Plating. These guys are based in Corpus Christie Texas. They plated my 9 spoke cast Ultra Classic wheels for 550.00 for the pair! Plus they offer a TWO year warranty on the chrome. Your wheels are engraved on the interior with a serial # for future reference. Turn around time on my wheels, including the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays was around 4 weeks. They offer an exchange program as well if you want wheels immediately. I was very happy with the quality of work that they did and highly recommend them. You will however have to have the tires and bearings removed before shipping. At least the tires anyway. They informed me that they would be willing to pull the bearings.

I live right outside of Nashville and have close access to Chromemasters. But since getting big time recognition on shows like American Chopper and Milwaukee Iron their prices are rediculous. 450.00 *PER* wheel. Pllllease! And they only offer a one year warranty.

You really can't go wrong with Chrome Pros Plating. You can also find them on Ebay. They have an excellent feedback rating.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think all of it is over priced! Why do we get charged so much more because we want to trick out our bikes? I see places all around town that chrome car wheels for $250 per wheel, but when you bring in a smaller motorcycle wheel it is more expensive. I got my entire car painted for $900 but when I wanted to just add ghost flames to my factory paint on my bike it was $1500.00. I almost told the guy to [sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif]

Quick Reply: Chroming stock wheels