Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one man's opinions on hawg wired vs hogtunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 AM
R8BOOMER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one man's opinions on hawg wired vs hogtunes

First off I want to say this is MY OPINION and many others may NOT agree. About the bike - 2005 ultra with the tour pack removed, 95" kit, v/h true dual exhaust with s/e mufflers, 8" clearview recurve windshield with h/d factory 2005 radio.
I had hogtunes speakers in the front and the hogtune xbass amp for about 3 years. I have been VERY pleased with the GREAT customer service I got from Pez on any questions I have had about his product. He is the essence of what customer service should be.
I decided to try the hawg wired system with the 150 watt amp and hawg wired top of the line speakers. I had read through several previous posts and wanted to form my own opinions about these 2 very good systems.
Listed below is what I learned (keeping in mind these are my opinions and others may disagree):

1. hog tune system had much more bass than hawg wired
2. hog tune speakers sounded better to me when the bike was not moving
3. hawg wired system is much louder at highway speeds
4. hawg wired speakers work more in the high end or treble sound of the speaker range
5. hog tune amp fit easier on top of my radio than did the hawg wired amp (but both did fit under the fairing)
6. hawg wired speaker magnets appeared larger than hog tunes
7. hawg wired speakers were a very tight fit and in some cases need the metal support bracket at the bottom of the speaker needs reformed or removed per the instructions
8. hog tune speakers mounted w/o any mods needed
9. both systems had excellent instructions included
10. both systems were very similiar in installation with no major differences besides those mentioned above
11. both systems were a MAJOR improvement over stock

Final thoughts are that both are very good systems. The hog tunes produces more bass but at hwy speeds the hawg wired for ME on MY bike were much louder and easier to hear. The hog tune system was MUCH cheaper in price but had very good quality for the price. In my opinion ifyou want more bass, better sounding speakers than stock, and want a great product at a minimal cost then hog tunes is for you. If you want very loud tunes at hwy speeds (being running down the freeway for hours at 80 to 90mph) and the price does not concern you then the hawg wired system is for you. Their may be differences in others bike's that will affect your opinion i.e. type of exhaust, windshield height, etc. I would reccomend both systems as both are good products and several factors would need to be considered prior to purchase: cost of system, exhaust loudness on your bike, height of windshield, type of riding you do, etc. I am completely happy with my outcome because I achieved what I wanted and that was louder tunes at hwy speeds, however prior to going to true duals, 95" kit, and a small windshield I was perfectly pleased with the sound I had from my hog tune system.
Once again I do not mean this post as a pissing match with others and their opinions that only 1 system or the other system is better. It is only meant to share my thoughts on both systems since I have had them both installed on the same bike but with different options on the bike that would influence opinions.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:22 PM
PFD232
Cruiser
Default RE: one man's opinions on hawg wired vs hogtunes

I agree with you on your post. I have Hawg Wired double shots and amp package on my 08 SG. I agree not as much bass as Hog Tunes but I believe Hawg Wired has a clearer sounding system. Yes you can hear mine even at 110 miles an hour. I was out with a guy who has Hog tunes and he could not hear his over mine but I like to jamm out to my tunes. Hawg Wired is very expensive set compare to Hog Tunes but for me price was not an issue when it comes to the only entertainment I have while riding. People hear this system and can't believe how loud it is coming off a bike! Both are very good systems price verses quality probably should go with Hog Tunes.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:46 PM
392heminut
Road Captain

Excellent review Boomer, very well done and lots of good info! Thanks!

Old 05-17-2008, 02:15 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A great review with very helpful info! I've been thinking about adding a system to my '08 FLHT and you've helped me a lot with my decision. Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-17-2008, 02:34 PM
PhoenixClassic
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice post and helped me make a decision - thanks. I have an 05 Ultra, too.

Did you put speakers in the lowers?

Old 05-17-2008, 02:50 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want bass and loud....... hmmmmm

Old 05-17-2008, 02:52 PM
88b
Tourer

Haven't heard them in person , but I've heard good things about the Biketronics speakers. Got Hog tunes in both my bikes, they are a lot better than stock

Old 05-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

So.......................

How much are these systems?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:26 AM
R8BOOMER
6th Gear

I did not put speakers in my lowers mainly because I have the locking covers for them and that is where I store my zumo when I am away from the bike.

Cost is about $325 hogtunes for 2 speakers and amp, hawg wired was $825 for the double shot system I installed.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:17 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

Hogtune 6 speaker setup (with Hogtune amp) on an 07 Ultra .....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DE5u33j5f...eature=related

Hogtune4 speaker setup (with HD amp under tour pack) on an 1998 Classic.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WK24WEEK7NM

Rob ....

Quick Reply: one man's opinions on hawg wired vs hogtunes