Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Do ABS breaks work? Ask how I know (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/239740-do-abs-breaks-work-ask-how-i-know.html)

rshwetz 05-29-2008 09:32 PM

Do ABS breaks work? Ask how I know

While riding from Jasper Alberta and enjoying the scenery, out of know where there's a Mule deer standing on the road in my lane, with no way to avoid hitting the deer I just applied hard brake to front and rear brakes. There was no lever or pedal left to apply ( Full Lock ) the sound was like a machine gun being fired. We were riding two up and the brakes worked as expected. The brakes pulled the Electra Glide Classic to a fast' stable and controlled stop. I am totally amazed. The claim is, if you use the ABS one time they would pay for themselves. I believe they did just that. I'm happy, the wife's happy and the deer is happy. I'm not saying standard brakes would not have done the same thing, but in my case I am an ABS believer.

jcbpa 05-29-2008 09:36 PM

RE: Do ABS breaks work? Ask how I know

Glad you are both safe. Yes ABS are worth the price.

dowork08 05-29-2008 09:37 PM

I have had to use mine also, its the best 700 bucks i have ever spent. I would never own another bike with out it.....its awsome

Manish_Hawg 05-29-2008 10:45 PM

Sorry that I don't know about ABS, but what do they do? I know I have had to brake hard once and the first thing the bike wanted to do was the rear tire wanted to slide. Help me out.

BlackBagger 05-30-2008 12:28 AM

Glad the three of you are fine. Knew it was the right decision to go for the ABS when my better half reached over and checked the box!

Mg

driesb 05-30-2008 12:41 AM

Good to hear you came out of it alive and well. I had some sort of the same situation only not with a deer but with a byvivle (far more proficient here than deer...) and came to a perfect stop where otherwise I would have smashed into her.

ABS was the main reason why I traded in the old lectra and I am very very happy with, should be made mandatory on all bikes!

CU
Dries

MassHD 05-30-2008 03:13 AM

Hawg on thing the ABS let you do is use your rear brake again. Iuse to lock the rear up so much I stopped using it. With the abs that is a non factor any more. You just grab the front and bang down on the rear if needed and watch the bike come to a straight stable stop. Maybe a littleshorter in distance but alot more stable. Just my 2 bits.

Johan96 05-30-2008 04:31 AM

I will definately go for abs on my 2009 sg!

dcc46 05-30-2008 05:42 AM

good to hear they worked as intended, im glad i went an got them on my bike.

XTrooper3936 05-30-2008 06:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

Sorry that I don't know about ABS, but what do they do? I know I have had to brake hard once and the first thing the bike wanted to do was the rear tire wanted to slide. Help me out.
ABS = Anti-lock Brake System

They prevent your tires from locking up. No locking means no sliding and straight-as-an-arrow stops even on slippery surfaces.

FWIW, a survey conducted a few years ago of police departments that switched to ABS-equipped motorcycles showed a decrease of over 60% in their motorcycle accident rates.