Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED SOME HELP (S&S or Andrews Gear Drive Cam Kit)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:11 PM
JMN68
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED SOME HELP (S&S or Andrews Gear Drive Cam Kit)

The bike is having problems, low oil pressure so the top end is making a little noise, it was really hot last week so the bike shut down and would not run even after&nbsp\\;it sat at&nbsp\\;rest for a cuple of hours (could not find shade so it sat in the sun).&nbsp\\;It was towed to local HD dealer in Fremont, CA who hit me up for over two bills to tell me this and another two bills if he has to open the cam area.&nbsp\\; I decided to take the bike home, to&nbsp\\;upgrade to gear drive cam and then have it dyno.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I would like to buy the entire gear drive kit and adjustable push rods.&nbsp\\; If I have left out something, please let me know.
&nbsp\\;
By the way&nbsp\\;are the&nbsp\\;S&amp\\;S and Andrews kits the same?&nbsp\\; The guys from work said that they are the same and that Andrews provides them to S&amp\\;S.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Thanks,
&nbsp\\;
Joe&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Lincolnhog
Tourer
Default RE: NEED SOME HELP (S&S or Andrews Gear Drive Cam Kit)

andrews 37's in my 103,,,,
not s+s

Old 06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
JMN68
Novice

I forgot one crucial piece of information.&nbsp\\; The bike is my Pearl Black Streetglide with RH true dual and a Arlen Ness Big Sucker.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
The dealership dyno tyhe bike and it came out around 74 HP and 75 TQ.&nbsp\\; Not bad but I hope the cam change will push it up a few numbers on the HP and TQ.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

I think the guys from work are right.&nbsp\\; When I helped my friend do an Andrews 37G install the package came with both S&amp\\;S and Andrews instructions sheets.&nbsp\\; They were the same as my S&amp\\;S&nbsp\\;Geardrives.&nbsp\\; Andrews has been doing mighty fine gear hobbing since the early seventies.&nbsp\\; They did a close ratio 1st gear in shovel 4 speeds that made FX's come alive.&nbsp\\;They later did a 1st &amp\\; 3rd, that rocked. &nbsp\\;Andrews grinds cams for other manufacturers too, but to the other guys specs.&nbsp\\; Don't sweat it it's the same good stuff.&nbsp\\; Just get the best price.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 PM
vibr8ir
Cruiser

Get the cam kit from Parts Direct great prices. My S/S 510 g's came w/ the gears installed,the
&nbsp\\;26 g's are good too. Use the S/E adj. p-rod kit. The kit comes w/ all the gaskets, you'll need some o-rings for the oil chest too. Try not to mess w/ the pump so you don't need to realign it.&nbsp\\; Steve

Old 06-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Moe Taters
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what year or type your twin cam is, but it sounds as if you may have an earlier one that had&nbsp\\; oil pump problems too.&nbsp\\; Check out the Andrews 26G&nbsp\\; cam.&nbsp\\; A great price on all the parts to do it right
&nbsp\\;
~http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...iZ2863QQcmdZVi
&nbsp\\;
Moe Taters

Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

I really like my S&amp\\;S gear drive cams.
&nbsp\\;
www.sscycle.com/modules/instruction/uploads/51-1047.pdf
&nbsp\\;
Good luck on your choice
&nbsp\\;
Peter
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 PM
JMN68
Novice

ORIGINAL: vibr8ir

Get the cam kit from Parts Direct great prices. My S/S 510 g's came w/ the gears installed,the
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;26 g's are good too. Use the S/E adj. p-rod kit. The kit comes w/ all the gaskets, you'll need some o-rings for the oil chest too. Try not to mess w/ the pump so you don't need to realign it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Steve
&nbsp\\;
From your post, I guess you did the installation of the cams on your bike.&nbsp\\; I have worked on my other bikes but have not got into the engine. &nbsp\\;Is it that easy of an install if I follow the manual?&nbsp\\;

Old 06-28-2008, 12:34 PM
vibr8ir
Cruiser

Really not to hard of a job. Some special tools make the job easier but it can be done w/out them. check out Harley Hogs site for photo's etc. You can rent the toolks here on the site I think ?? The directions that come w/ the cams are great as are all the people here. And YES I did the cam/95" kit myself w/out ever rebuilding a Harley before, lots of help to be had here too !! You may want to replace the lifters too, depends on miles/wear($100). Do check out Parets Direct though.. The H/D ez inst.adj. p-rods are best cause they come w/ new tubes w/ shorter tubes and longer clips -really helps to adj. em..I've ridden both the 510 G and 26 g and they both are great.&nbsp\\; Steve

Old 06-29-2008, 01:23 PM
JMN68
Novice

ORIGINAL: vibr8ir

Really not to hard of a job. Some special tools make the job easier but it can be done w/out them. check out Harley Hogs site for photo's etc. You can rent the toolks here on the site I think ?? The directions that come w/ the cams are great as are all the people here. And YES I did the cam/95" kit myself w/out ever rebuilding a Harley before, lots of help to be had here too !! You may want to replace the lifters too, depends on miles/wear($100). Do check out Parets Direct though.. The H/D ez inst.adj. p-rods are best cause they come w/ new tubes w/ shorter tubes and longer clips -really helps to adj. em..I've ridden both the 510 G and 26 g and they both are great.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Steve
&nbsp\\;
Steve,
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for the help.&nbsp\\; This will be a do it at home job.&nbsp\\; I have been looking online on for installation instruction and found some great posts but have no luck finding good instructions for adjusting the
push rods.&nbsp\\; I will posting here any there for additional assistance.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Got to remember to take pictures of the upgrade&nbsp\\;so I can post it on the forum for reference.&nbsp\\; Thanks again.
&nbsp\\;
Joe

Quick Reply: NEED SOME HELP (S&S or Andrews Gear Drive Cam Kit)