Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   rocker box leak (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/250203-rocker-box-leak.html)

Petesnot 06-28-2008 10:02 PM

rocker box leak

Hi All

I own a Y2K Road King Classic, punched out to 95". Stock heads, S&amp\\;S cylinders, Cam. Fueling oil pump, lifters. I use Castrol Semi Syntheic oil. I've put 73,000 wonderful miles on this bike.
Last fall I had a head gasket replaced - oil was spewing out of the front cylinder. The bike sat for the winter in my Oregon garage.
Riding season finally arrived, so out I go.

I noticed my front cyclinder became slightly damp on a warm day. I went to my independent mechanic (who did the head gasket replacement), who diagnosed it as a bad rocker box gasket, replaced on his dime. I went to California 3 weeks ago and the leak reappeared as soon as I hit 80+ degree weather. I called my mechanic and let him know I still had a leak.
When I got back, he said he may have installed the gasket incorrectly\\; they are now directional. OK, fine. I take the bike in for its THIRD gasket replacement last Monday. He called and told me it was installed wrong, now good to go. I got it back home yesterday.

Today, after a thorough cleaning and detailing, I went for a short - 40 mile - ride in 85 degree weather. After getting home, I notice oil DRIPPING from the front rocker box. Feels like there is something more than a gasket going on here.

Anybody have any ideas at all? :(

deadeye1340? 06-28-2008 10:13 PM

RE: rocker box leak

I have an idea... find a new wrench.

Petesnot 06-28-2008 11:00 PM

Wow. You really know your way around a motorcycle. If that's the best answer you have you're wasting band width.

Chuck1 06-29-2008 06:22 AM

Man, what a bummer, I'd be ticked.&nbsp\\; Can't believe mechanic is that bad, must be bad gaskets, or something wrong with the cover.

msocko3 06-29-2008 06:24 AM

Either he didn't clean the surface of the rocker box bottom and top good,&nbsp\\;didn't&nbsp\\;torque it properly It might be that&nbsp\\;the top to your rocker box is warped.

StreetGlider56 06-29-2008 06:45 AM

The Rocker box has a hair line fracture that opens up with heat... (over tightening could be the cause)

Petesnot 06-29-2008 07:38 PM

The shop I go to is a good shop - Central Valley Cycle in Springfield, Or - and they stand behind their work. This is driving them crazy too, so its not shoddy workmanship.
One thing that hasn't been considered is a cracked rocker box. This makes a lot of sense to me since it seems to be ambient temperaure related. Richard, thanks for the idea!

[IMG]local://upfiles/66056/721B985F6A724FB5BEB72B3FF5341A54.jpg[/IMG]

Petesnot 07-13-2008 06:41 PM

And the solution was...
After talking it over with the mechanic, he did 2 things-

1. Changed brand of gasket. He was using cometic, which is a good quality brand. This time around he went with stock Harley gaskets. I don't know who makes them for Harley (China?).
2. He chased all threads to eliminate any excess lock tight.

Dry as a bone.

bagman1 07-13-2008 07:35 PM

Glad to see you fixed it. I would have suggested possibly an inferior brand gasket before I labeled it a cracked rocker housing. Been there done that. I had the rear rocker gasket leak on the rear cyl on an evo softail. I even changed it in the frame....And they said it couldnt be done. Once I finally bought HD gaskets it stopped leaking. HD ones were slightly thicker than the cometic.