Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts
Default 08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix

turn kill switch ON.
&nbsp\\;
cycle ignitiion switch 4 times (long enough for engine light to go out each time ~15 seconds)
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
then turn off, and drive normal.
&nbsp\\;
that should reset the "zero" position of the Throttle for the ECm
&nbsp\\;
there's a free ECM re-flash to fix this problem.
&nbsp\\;
mine was idling&nbsp\\; 1300~2000 rpms
&nbsp\\;
it happens when you twist throttle backwards past the nuetral position (that cancels the cruise, and another post said doing it before you crank it turns on the heat management)

Old 07-03-2008, 02:56 PM
JonGolden
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix

From what my HD service guys say, HD does not have a flash for this and resetting it is the only thing to do.

I am looking right now at an 07 FLTR, in part because of this.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:06 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: JonGolden

From what my HD service guys say, HD does not have a flash for this and resetting it is the only thing to do.

Jon, I don't want this to come off as a negative, but if you are not experiencing throttle problems, why would you consider going back a year on models?&nbsp\\; If you are having this throttle problem, once again, it it that much of an issue to go back a year?&nbsp\\; Each model year has it's little qwerks, but this throttle problem is miniscule compared to some issues in the past model years.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 03:10 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info guys thanks i know how to fix my buddies bike when it acts up again
&nbsp\\;
he has a 2008 rg

Old 07-03-2008, 03:14 PM
08sg
Novice

I'm glad someone posted this process, a buddy of mine showed it to me just last weekend. 08sg was idling really high so the next stop we corrected it. He siad it is also caused by not letting it idle all the way down before killing the engine.
Seems to hold true.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:29 PM
88b
Tourer

&nbsp\\;
They don't have a 100% fix yet but this should help just quote TT380 to your friendly local stealer
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
TT380 – June 12, 2008 - High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models
High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models
Due to ’08 Electronic Throttle Control calibration strategy parameters and throttle grip sensor
variability some customers have experienced intermittent changes in idle RPMs. This
condition is caused by a change in the zero position stored to memory in the ECM, as
determined by the last four readings seen at key OFF. This cannot increase engine speed
while riding but would change the idle RPM, similar to adjusting the throttle stop screw on a
carbureted model.
To correct this condition we will be making several changes to the throttle grip sensor to
reduce voltage variances and also update the way the calibration’s strategy looks at and
records these voltages. Completion of these changes and test validation will take several
months.
In the interim we have released revised calibrations in the latest version of Digital Tech to
alleviate the high idle concerns for those customers experiencing the condition. The current
software version
(1.004.001) and details of the changes can be viewed by selecting the
What’s New
button on the home screen of DTII. This info is also on h-dnet under:
Service&gt\\;Tools &amp\\; Equipment Info&gt\\;DTII&gt\\;Version Updates-What’s New
. The new calibrations
will leave the ECM powered up for 10 seconds after key OFF to complete housekeeping,
allowing the rider more opportunity to release the throttle grip, so the throttle control can
return to true zero before the ECM power is shutdown. This should eliminate rider induced
zeroing issues. Additionally, the new calibrations will be less sensitive to voltage changes due
to an increased dead-band in the operating strategy. Under certain conditions and riding
styles some customers may notice a slightly different throttle feel, or comment on reduced
engine responsiveness. This is due to the increased dead-band and will feel similar to a loose
throttle cable adjustment on non-ETC vehicles.
Therefore, we recommend only reflashing vehicles for customers experiencing the high idle
concern and wait for the next version calibrations before updating vehicles on a wider scale.
SE Race Tuner and SE Super Tuner calibrations have not been updated at this time, and
reflashing a stock cal over a Tuner cal may only temporarily alleviate the high idle, until you
reflash back to a tuner cal.
It is recommended anytime you replace ECM, TGS or Reflash the calibration to cycle the Ign.
switch 4 times, waiting 10 full seconds after keying off between cycles, to relearn zero TGS
position.
The following warranty credit procedures will apply to domestic dealers only:
Warranty credit will be allowed for reflashing the calibration at the usual rate.
For OE calibrations including CVO, file an MC claim using labor code 7804 for 0.2 hours
labor.
For SWR’ed P&amp\\;A calibrations, file a PNA claim using labor code 8209 for 0.2 hours labor.
Non-registered P&amp\\;A performance calibrations will require preauthorization for warranty credit.

NOTE:
Labor code 8209 is a new code and may need to be downloaded into your system

Old 07-03-2008, 03:34 PM
caspr2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: JonGolden

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;I had a 07 Roadglide, the issues on the 08 are nothing compared to the 07.
Remember 07 was the first yr for the 96 and the 6 speed tranny. Smaller tank, no IDS (unless someone installed it).
&nbsp\\;Oh and the same heat issues as the 08, thanks Mr EPA.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Techie
Advanced

What does that mean? Everytime the cruise control is cancelled via the throttle, then the RPMs will run high? Until service gets a better program, then this is the sequence to do? I read the info sheet as well, thanks. I have startups that run high 1200 as well and have been following ongoing threads.&nbsp\\;Nice to be in the brotherhood.
&nbsp\\;
Aloha

Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Techie, i think 1200 is probably normal "high idle"&nbsp\\; (like a choke)

if it drops down to ~1000 after a few seconds, it should be fine.

mine would run from ~1300 to ~2000

i just got home from the reflash, at the 200 mile mark.

looks like the ECM reflash fixed it.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:03 PM
harley1005
Tourer

I'm just wondering if H-D will have this problem fixed on the 2009 Models. Has anyone heard? I was talking to a guy while out riding today and he told me, "A&nbsp\\; friend of his '08 Street Glide throttle hung on him while riding in a pack and he came close to running over some riders, but hit the kill switch just in time to avoid the accident. I would think this&nbsp\\;TBW issue would be of major concern&nbsp\\;for H-D and if not corrected there will be some major law suits coming, if they already aren't.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I have been planning on buying an '09 Street Glide and just recently sold my '04 Screamin' Eagle&nbsp\\; Electra Glide in preperation to do so,&nbsp\\;but&nbsp\\; this&nbsp\\; TBW issue&nbsp\\; does give me some&nbsp\\; concern. Now don't everyone jump my *** on that. lol
&nbsp\\;
Keep It In The Wind.

Quick Reply: 08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix