Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg-Wired vs. Biketronics??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawg-Wired vs. Biketronics??

I noticed that Hawg-Wired has an install kit for aftermarket Sony radios. Same idea as Biketronics but slightly different. Anyone have any info between the two products? The Hawg-Wired version is about $40 more and comes with a little different hardware and plug-in module. Both use the factory hand controls...

Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Hawg-Wired vs. Biketronics??

i am just waitng for the reply on this topic i am thinking about upgrading myself

Old 07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a thread on here a couple days ago about the difference between the two.
The Hawg-Wired module allows hand control functions but the auto-volume feature isn't on it. The Biketronics module has the feature.
I just installed the Biketronics kit over the weekend...pretty simple install.
I'm also installing the Biketronics amp, using Polk Audio MOMO speakers and the Sony head unit.
The entire system looks pretty fool-proof.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

As Bad Piggy said, the AVC is only available on the Biketronics interface unit, not HW's.&nbsp\\; The Biketronics interface has a lifetime warranty IIRC.
&nbsp\\;
The HW installation kit is nicer IMO than Biketronics as it uses a metal frame to mount the radio/headunit and has a somewhat "better" looking faceplate/trim&nbsp\\;than the Biketronics.&nbsp\\; That being said, I have the Biketronics interface unit and their mounting kit and am very happy with both.
&nbsp\\;
If I was doing this now, I'd buy the Biketronics interface unit (the AVC is very nice to have) and the HW installation kit.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

I have the Biketronics set up and have no complaints. Their customer service is great and their prices are very reasonable IMHO.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

i have only used the hawg-wired kit in the past, on my streetglide i made everything myself and used a pac module to integrate my alpine head unit... i saved several hundred dollars...

as for the review on the hawg wired stuff, i loved the cradle and bezel... the harness was a bit pricey for what it does (in my opinion)... i dont like the sony radios, so i opted to make everything myself and save some money, mine came out fine...

for those who are less skilled, i say either kit is worth the money... the bike i used the hawg-wired stuff on, hasnt had any issues...

Old 07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
gliderman
Road Captain

Can you explain what you mean by the pac module for the Alpine unit? If I were to go to something other than Sony, what what be required to wire everything up? Would the controls still operate the head unit? Thanks for your info........

Old 07-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gliderman

Can you explain what you mean by the pac module for the Alpine unit? If I were to go to something other than Sony, what what be required to wire everything up? Would the controls still operate the head unit? Thanks for your info........
the "pac" module tht i am taking about is the swi-jack... i have the wire diagram for harley to somewher, which makes the hook up and programing easier, i will take a pict later on and download it, to show what i mean, but the module is made by pac and you can get one tht is designed to integrate your "steering wheel" controls for whichever radio you want to use...

and yes this module is designed to allow hand controls to operate the radio

Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gliderman

this is the pac module i am refering to
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...\;i=127SWIJACK

i dont think i paid that much for it... but it will give you more options...
&nbsp\\;
for some reason the site keeps adding a \\\\\\; in the link, so erase that and it will take you to the link