Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My review of Mean City Cycles seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:01 AM
olgreydog7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My review of Mean City Cycles seat

Well, I just had my seat done.&nbsp\\; It's a 2004 Road King Custom.&nbsp\\; I did the double decker foam on driver's and wide double decker on the passenger.&nbsp\\; I took her out for a 75 mile ride and it was nice.&nbsp\\; There is a little more back support and I sit just a tad lower.&nbsp\\; I took my wife for a short trip, she said she thought it was better, but she's still uncomfortable.&nbsp\\; However, she is about 4 1/2 months pregnant, so that probably has more to do with it.&nbsp\\; I don't the the RK Custom has enough material in the passenger side to really make much of a difference.&nbsp\\; Maybe another seat that has more to work with woud see a larger difference.&nbsp\\; Overall, I'm happy with it.&nbsp\\; I think I had higher expectations.&nbsp\\; I do wish I had done this a long time ago.&nbsp\\; The work is great and he got the seat back to me about a week and a half after the day I put it in the mail to him.&nbsp\\; The quality is excellent and the customer servicce was top notch.&nbsp\\; The seat looks great, and if I ever get another bike, this will be one of the first mods.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
If you are looking for an all day, iron butt type seat, either stick with a Corbin, Mustang, ect, or spend a little more and get the gel pads.&nbsp\\; They may be well suited for this.&nbsp\\; But, if you are budget minded and looking for a comfortable 75-100 mile seat, this is the seat for you.&nbsp\\; BTW, I'm 6'4" and about 240 lbs, so I put some pressure on the seat.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Any critism is not intended to flame, just stating my personal experience.&nbsp\\; I want people to have an honest review.&nbsp\\; Like I said, my only complaint is that I think I was expecting more of an all day seat.&nbsp\\; It is a great 100 mile seat and a vast improvement over stock.&nbsp\\; You will not find a better deal for your money in my opinion.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 12:15 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: My review of Mean City Cycles seat

Im 6'4" 240+ and I have had GREAT LUCK with BOTH the HD SUNDOWNER on my 01 RKC and Corbin Dual Tour on my 07 RG.&nbsp\\; The wife likes them both but she says that the Corbin feels a little better on longer rides and WE have put lots of LONG MILES under our belts.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:52 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for the Corbin.&nbsp\\; I've got the dual tourer for me and Moma, the Corbin Stinger, and the Corbin solo.&nbsp\\; Love em.&nbsp\\; Got lots and lots of miles on em.&nbsp\\; All together probably got at least 250,000 miles on Corbins, Heritage, LowRider, and Sporster....all Corbinized.&nbsp\\; Their customer service has gone to hell though in the last 24 months.&nbsp\\; Can't even get em to answer a stinkin' email.&nbsp\\; CCRyder

Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

olegraydog I don't see it as being criticism at all man. Knowing the seats the way I do, your seat is the worst of all touring bikes. HD used the same foam in your seat as they do on the Sportsters which you know is hard as a brick stock. The double decker is definitely the way to go on those but there is good news for you the seat will get better with age. When we put the seats back together we pull the covers tight because they are going to stretch some so once you get more miles on it I think you will be able to do 200+ easily. Be safe and enjoy.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
chuck2000RK
Road Captain

what did it cost to have the seat done? i would like to move forward an inch or so and a&nbsp\\; little lower.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:42 PM
olgreydog7
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: chuck2000RK

what did it cost to have the seat done? i would like to move forward an inch or so and a&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; little lower.
&nbsp\\;
Goto meancitycycles.com It'll tell you everything you need.
&nbsp\\;
Badx, I just wanted to give an honest review.&nbsp\\; I was hoping for this to be my long distance seat, then I'd get another seat for barhopping.&nbsp\\; This is good enough for a 100 miler or so.&nbsp\\; I may buy a stocker off ebay and have you do the most basic reshape for that lean, barhopper seat I'm looking for.&nbsp\\; The wife is tall also, so no matter what we do, her seat may just not be comfortable.&nbsp\\; I think she really needs more legroom and room between me and the sissy bar, but the seat has nothing to do with that.&nbsp\\; The stocker doesn't give you much to work with in the passenger pillion at all.&nbsp\\; I think you did great work with it.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;I want people to understand that if they want an all day seat, they need to try the gel pad seat mod or if they have a narrow pillion&nbsp\\;get another seat altogether.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 07:49 PM
NJMadDog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey dumb question here but how the hell do I get the strap off my 08 SG seat?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: olgreydog7

\\\\\\;
Goto meancitycycles.com It'll tell you everything you need.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Badx, I just wanted to give an honest review.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I was hoping for this to be my long distance seat, then I'd get another seat for barhopping.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; This is good enough for a 100 miler or so.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I may buy a stocker off ebay and have you do the most basic reshape for that lean, barhopper seat I'm looking for.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The wife is tall also, so no matter what we do, her seat may just not be comfortable.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I think she really needs more legroom and room between me and the sissy bar, but the seat has nothing to do with that.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The stocker doesn't give you much to work with in the passenger pillion at all.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I think you did great work with it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I want people to understand that if they want an all day seat, they need to try the gel pad seat mod or if they have a narrow pillion&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;get another seat altogether.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I have to back you up here.&nbsp\\; I did a ride in to Mean City &amp\\; had my seat done there.&nbsp\\; We arrived on a miserable day in the middle of an all day rain.&nbsp\\; Stood around drippin' all over their shop &amp\\; they were still friendly.&nbsp\\; They did exactly what I asked, and the outcome was about what I expected, but less than I wanted.&nbsp\\; That's not a negative for Mean City.&nbsp\\; I was comfortable with my seat except for a lump towards the front, they removed that.&nbsp\\; The pillion is fine for a short ride, but small enough that it'll be uncomfortable for anyone after a few miles.&nbsp\\; My wife had been on it for a week!&nbsp\\; Mean City widened it as much as the seat pan would allow &amp\\; added memory foam.&nbsp\\; It helped, but not enough for multiple day rides.&nbsp\\; It was worth what I paid, &amp\\; if I want to profile it looks better than a touring seat but for long days we bought a touring seat.&nbsp\\; Mean City is good, &amp\\; they're nice people, but you can only do so much with a pigs ear.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience most seats have a 750-1000 mile break-in period. You can't tell&nbsp\\;anything till then.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 PM
THABULL
Road Master

ORIGINAL: NJMadDog

Hey dumb question here but how the hell do I get the strap off my 08 SG seat?
Remove both saddle bags and remove the forward saddle bag mounts on both sides.

Quick Reply: My review of Mean City Cycles seat