Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

were is oil comming from

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:15 PM
choptop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default were is oil comming from

Swapped out primary&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;oil when I change stator, rotor and extension shaft on my '90 today, put 2 quarts in my engine&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; allso, drained primary to check compensator nut and I have a lot more oil than I started w/and low on engine oil. Were would the likely place be that it would be entering primary ?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Thanks
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Were are these stupid little slanty lines and dots comming from ?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: were is oil comming from

ORIGINAL: choptop

Swapped out primary oil when I change stator, rotor and extension shaft on my '90 today, put 2 quarts in my engine also, drained primary to check compensator nut and I have a lot more oil than I started w/and low on engine oil. Were would the likely place be that it would be entering primary? Thanks
Seal from engine to primary on compensator shaft. Crankcase pressures force oil into primary. Replace seal.

Were are these stupid little slanty lines and dots comming from ?
What slanty lines? Oh yeah, those things. That's normal here. Really, though, forum is possessed with gremlins. They're "working on it," and have been for two months.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 PM
choptop
Cruiser

Is it a big pain in the *** to swap out once you get the stator out of the way ?&nbsp\\; Thanks

Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: choptop

Swapped out primary oil when I change stator, rotor and extension shaft on my '90 today, put 2 quarts in my engine also, drained primary to check compensator nut and I have a lot more oil than I started w/and low on engine oil. Were would the likely place be that it would be entering primary? Thanks
Seal from engine to primary on compensator shaft. Crankcase pressures force oil into primary. Replace seal.

[quote]
+1

Old 07-19-2008, 10:12 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

which rotor and stator did you put in? Did you change the spacer and seal or did you leave the originals in? It doesn't take much to damage them sometimes. The metal pieces that were worn off of the original parts could have damaged the seal also. Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:18 PM
JacktheBagger
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

MY 88 FLTC had that issue , that year it was a factory problem , there were a bunch that were recalled ...

Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 AM
choptop
Cruiser

new spacer,stator, rotor, left OLD seal in, will have to go back and replace now, much of a job ?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you reinstall the clamp that holds the stator wiring?&nbsp\\; Those holes go all the way through.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:15 AM
choptop
Cruiser

Was no clamp,'08 Evo clone, just (4) screws holding stator down, ran stator plug end threw&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;access front of engime to plug in.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Am going to run bike w/primary cover off to see if I can see oil comming from behind roto, sound feasable ?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbs p\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\ \\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\ ;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Thanks
&nbsp\\;
Do I need to pull engine, split cases to replace seal ?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:45 PM
choptop
Cruiser

Put bike on kick stand, started engine, lot of oil comming from behind rotor, a little history on this bike- bought it in Jan., built last summer,'90 FLT frame, 127 Ultima, have had issues from first ride, last week was going to shim compensator spocket to find all splines on rotor gone,round smooth hole,ext shaft bad, stator bad. minimal shaft damage, got new parts, put back together, went on 100 mile ride, 2quarts tranfered from engine to primary, threw crank seal I believe, your thoughts.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Thanks

Quick Reply: were is oil comming from