Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found Solution for Buffeting on FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:03 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found Solution for Buffeting on FLHX

I actually have an '08 Road-King Classic, not a Street Glide, but I have replaced the stock front passing lamp bracket with the FLHX style bracket (H-D part #69229-04). With the FLHX style lights I can't use the H-D fork mounted wind deflectors to help reduce wind buffeting, so I searched around for after market products.

I wasn't having any luck - the closest I came was with the Memphis Shades line of fork tube mounted wind deflectors, but my e-mail to them requesting part numbers for my bike produced a "We don't have anything for your bike" response. <rats> BTW, Memphis Shades has the worst web site I've seen for locating part numbers.

I did notice that Memphis Shades wind deflectors appeared to use the same mounting system on the deflectors as on their windshields. I also found out they make clamps to mount windshields on 1.5" handlebars (H-D crash bars are 1.5"). I took a gamble that all the parts would work together and I placed the order.

I got lucky. The parts went together as planned. Even better, they are very adjustable so I was able to move the deflectors around to find the best location to reduce the buffeting. I placed them forward and low by the forks, and forward and high beside the windshield, but the best location was just above the crash bars behind the fork tubes (I've attached a picture of the installation).

I don't think they look too bad, in fact being clear they are hardly noticable until they get covered with bugs (They also come in other colors.) and I can remove them in a few seconds if I want to. BTW, the quality of the clamps is not exactly show quality.

My impression is the buffeting is now comparable to riding 15 to 20 mph faster. For example, the previous buffeting at 60 mph now appears at 75 to 80 mph. No wind deflectors will stop all wind, especially side winds on a Road King, but at 65 mph there is virtually no buffeting at all and, if I smoked, I probably could at 65 mph. <G> On my first ride with the deflectors I hit a bird with the deflectors, which would have otherwise hit me on the leg - bonus.

If anyone is interested I can put together a list of part numbers and prices.

Attached Thumbnails Found Solution for Buffeting on FLHX-deflectors.jpg  
Old 08-10-2008, 12:27 PM
badjustbad
Tourer

Bump

I thought this would generate more response based on the significant amount of discussion a couple of months ago.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Nice fix to a common problem, too bad you had to go through so much to find the right setup, but I have to say they are ugly, sorry, just my view of it. I know all parts don't have to look nice, but I just couldn't put these on my ride.
Nice shot of the newer light brackets, I just ordered some for my FLHRS, but I am wating for Zanott's.
I've been looking for a closeup of those brackets, thanks for posting that.
Rags

Last edited by Ragtop; 08-10-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:48 PM
badjustbad
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ragtop
Nice fix to a common problem, too bad you had to go through so much to find the right setup, but I have to say they are ugly, sorry, just my view of it. I know all parts don't have to look nice, but I just couldn't put these on my ride.
Nice shot of the newer light brackets, I just ordered some for my FLHRS, but I am wating for Zanott's.
I've been looking for a closeup of those brackets, thanks for posting that.
Rags
Ugly, you bet. I should have been more accurate with my "Doesn't look too bad" comment. For wind deflectors, they don't look too bad. I think all wind deflectors look ugly even if they aren't that visible. That's why I pointed out that they remove in a few seconds. As for function, they work excellent, and for touring they make travel on a R-K way more comfortable.

If you like the style of lights you must like a clean/sleek bike appearance. I found that when I remove the stock light bracket the underside of the triple tree became too obvious and the exposed brake lines were ugly so I bought the chrome lower triple tree cover (66050-03) and the chrome front fork air baffle (58520-79TC) to clean it up a bit. Made a lot of difference for something so subtle. My opinion - H-D should make them standard parts on every bike.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

That is a pretty funky set up for a non-fairing bike. If that would work with the Batwing, I could see it . . . Maybe. I've seen guys run the chrome deflectors with the BW fairing. I've talked to one. He swore by it. Obviously can't run em with Lowers, but I think he had the soft lowers.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a street glide and the custom passing lamp brackets, it is a simple modification with a dremel tool to make the HD chrome deflectors work. and they look A LOT better.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:20 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A switch from the stock OEM 4" windshield on my SG, to a Clearview brand 8" recurved model got rid of 99% of the buffeting for me. If you need a bit more, adding the air deflector thing that HD sells.....the one that mounts under the steering head on the lower triple clamp helps a bunch also.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:53 AM
hitone
Cruiser

I have been complaining for a year about the buffetting on my 2007 FLHX and had installed the dragon wings, the between the fork deflector and a 6 inch vs 4 inch windshield. They all helped a bit but not what I wanted. Try riding in a storm and see what rain coming up not down is like!
I finally said enough and bought the Kuryakyn fork mounted chrome deflectors. By the way, they fit perfectly on the street glide but you must remove the engine guard because they hit it at about 1/3 turn of the bars. The deflectors do everything I wanted and I now ride in a very still air pocket with just a hint of a facial breeze to keep me cool. I am now looking for an aftermarket engine guard like a Lindby Multibar or a Kuryakyn Ergo bar that is narrow at the top and dips down to form the guard and footrest. Trouble is that without a template or the measurements of these new guards, I can't be sure they will clear the deflectors to full lock and lock to lock.
Anyone know?
By the way, you can't flip the deflectors side to side like other HDs because the turn signals on a Street Glide are fork mounted and would be covered over.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:00 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hitone
I have been complaining for a year about the buffetting on my 2007 FLHX and had installed the dragon wings, the between the fork deflector and a 6 inch vs 4 inch windshield. They all helped a bit but not what I wanted. Try riding in a storm and see what rain coming up not down is like!
I finally said enough and bought the Kuryakyn fork mounted chrome deflectors. By the way, they fit perfectly on the street glide but you must remove the engine guard because they hit it at about 1/3 turn of the bars. The deflectors do everything I wanted and I now ride in a very still air pocket with just a hint of a facial breeze to keep me cool. I am now looking for an aftermarket engine guard like a Lindby Multibar or a Kuryakyn Ergo bar that is narrow at the top and dips down to form the guard and footrest. Trouble is that without a template or the measurements of these new guards, I can't be sure they will clear the deflectors to full lock and lock to lock.
Anyone know?
By the way, you can't flip the deflectors side to side like other HDs because the turn signals on a Street Glide are fork mounted and would be covered over.
Do you have a part number for the Kuryakyn fork mounted chrome deflectors?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:10 AM
hitone
Cruiser

I got them from a discount supplier in Ottawa Ontario Canada. They are about $5 less than the HD ones but look just the same. The package tehy came in is Kuryakyn package with a Parts Canada SKU#270438 and an OEM# 1105(original equipment manufacturer).
Good luck and if you do proceed, let me know if you find a replacement engine guard that works. I will do the same.

Quick Reply: Found Solution for Buffeting on FLHX