Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stay away from St. Augustine HD. Rude...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Big Pa
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swirvin1234
I am planning on getting a black 2009 FLHR with ABS and security. I have priced it out with MSRP to $18514.00, with tax is roughly $19800 with HD freight. I just spoke to St. Augustine HD, in FL and they were complete a**holes. I went in on Monday and explained exactly what I wanted and was looking to spend 19500, they wouldn't give price and told me they would call me tomorrrow, well today I finally called them and they still didn't have a price. The business manager said my offer sounded too low and it would be waste of time to bug the owners about it so come back in and we will talk more. I told him that I tried that on Monday and you couldn't help me then. I told him if he wanted to sell a bike to me to find out the price and call me and that was it. 15 minutes later he calls back and says 20,800 out the door and that is the lowest they will go. I asked him specifically what the dealer fees were and he said " out the door is 20,800, when can you come in to put down a deposit?). I asked again and never got an answer. My rough calculations came out to 925 in bulls**t fees that the dealer slapped on. Needless to say I will not be buying from them. The kicker is that I have a good business relationship with a friend of the owners and was personally referred plus I have purchased 2 HD's from the previous owners at this location, (Hollingsworth HD).

Sorry for venting and maybe I am out of line but I am just shocked as to the lack of professionalism, and poor effort that the business manager made to help me a guaranteed sale. What does everyone else think a good price would be out the door?
I had a similar experience when it was Hollingsworth H.D. Long story short, rude, sarcastic, cared less if I bought a bike or not attitude. I wonder if any of the Hollingsworths still work there. That would explain alot. I would'nt buy a T-shirt from those people.
Joe

Old 08-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

i dont think that i will ever buy a brand new HD again. there are WAY too many nice, used bikes out there that can be had for GREAT prices.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:05 PM
asuperheat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new owners little diffrent than before try ocala h-d they did me right over the phone walked in and out with my bike in about 30min. but that was in 06' good luck.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't sweat the small stuff -- life's too short for it. Keep lookin' until you find one you like and get a price you can live with. You know, if they had agreed with your first offer, you'd have felt you screwed up and could have gotten it for less.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 PM
philgrocks
Cruiser

The problem with calling dealers is that they can not tell how serious you are and they have nothing invested (no time with you). So I suggest you call the dealers, pick out a sales person and ask them what models they have on hand.... They will tell you that they can get anything you want from a nearby dealer, but if they have to trade or transport it takes time and that is money.

Once you found a dealer that has what you want stop in to check out the bike. Ask for a test ride on a similar model, consume the sales persons time. Best day to do this is a Saturday or Sunday, when they really hope to sell a motorcycle and thus there time is worth more. As they spend more time with you you are more and more of an investment and they are more eager to do the deal.

Some other thoughts:

If you can be flexible on color and options, you have the best opportunity for price.

It will be difficult to get a deal on an 09... They just started shipping them

The more motorcycles of a specific model they have in stock, the better your options.

Know your bottom line price, they can sense if you have room to go up.

Know how you will pay for the motorcycle... Cash, trade, loan and again be decisive.

Know what options you want and which are optional. For me ABS was a requirement.

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

WOW
The stories of experiences from Dealers here in FLA vary wildly. I'm surprised. Here is my take. DD doesn't want to deal with you unless you are willing to just toss money at them. I went there first when looking. I left disgusted. I told them what I was looking for and what I wanted to pay and they came right out and tole me they couldn't help me. No negotiation no sales pitch, just sorry cant help you. I went to Seminole with the same deal and they fell all over themselves to sell me one. I was happy with the price and payments. I wont even consider buying a bike at DD ever again. St Augustine made me a very tempting offer trying to sell me a new Xbones one day when I was there. It was a very low price with no markup or fees. I thought about it. I have also had a good conversations with Gators in Leesburg and heard others say real good things about them. Next time it will be my first stop. I learned something here. Don't take to heart what you hear from others. Things seem to change quickly.
Good luck finding your deal. Remember it is fun shopping. Try to keep it that way.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you had a bad experience Swervin, keep shopping and you will find what you want. I found Gainseville HD to be the most bottom line MSRP without tons of extra fees in the North and Central Florida areas. That being said, I've had great experiences with St. Augustine HD and purchased two bikes from them, one from old ownership and one with new. I think the new owners have made great strides in the attitudes there, sounds like your experience was the opposite. Their new Dealer Fees are about $400.00 a little steep... They have tons of 08's and only ONE 09 on the floor (Ultra) as of last weekend. Most if not all of the 08's had 1000-1500 $ sale stickers. Good luck in finding your new ride.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

An H-D setalership that's "rude"?...wow...imagine THAT?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 PM
confused
Road Captain

Living in FLA we get to pick and choose.
We have a Dealer every 50 miles in any direction
I spent 2-3 months hitting them all and picked one
Surprisingly DD came out with the best price
I took their price to the dealer that was staright up with since day 1 and he matched it, smaller dealer and I knew he would take care of me down the road
Take your time and don't be in a rush