Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rides out of Houston

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:11 AM
The Nev
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rides out of Houston

Hi guys this is a little long but I could use some advice from you Texas riders. My wife and I ride and a little over a year ago our long time friends decided they wanted to take up riding. They both went to a rider’s edge course and then bought two bikes an 883 Sportster and a 750 Honda. The goal was to learn to ride and then start tour riding. So now they’re thinking they might be ready to take a trip. My buddy wants to rent an Ultra Classic and go for a couple of days and see if it’s what they thought it would be. So I told you all that to ask you this.

I live in Louisiana and they live in Houston, so the rental will be out of Houston. I would like to go around 350 miles a day (2days) starting from Houston. My wife and I have ridden in the Austin area before and found the riding really nice, but we were coming back from California and I had my GPS and we just rode not really paying attention to milage or exactly where we were. So do any of you Texas riders have any ideas for this ride? I would really like to get in some of the Texas hill country. I’ve heard of a loop called Twin Sisters but I’m not sure where this is any one have any info on this ride? I really want them to have a good ride, twisties little traffic and of course scenery. If all goes well their intention is to buy an Ultra and do some more riding.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-08-2008, 12:31 PM
campincowboy
Tourer

If you go to the hill country, go to the chamber of commerce in Kerrville, they have mapped m/c rides and are very friendly to bikers. You can't go wrong with any of these rides, as we've done them all.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:56 PM
chipishere
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anybody been up 337 lately? A couple of months ago I did like 3 miles of gravel on that road. They had it tore up pretty good repaving it.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

There is some excellent riding in the Hill Country. If you make it to the Sisters (335, 336, 337), pay close attention to the cattle guard signs - they are there and they will eat your lunch if you aren't paying attention.

http://www.threesistersrally.net/aboutthreesisters.html

Old 09-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We rode the area this past weekend. Stayed in Bandera.

Took 16N up to Kerrville (nice little switchbacks on that road, very tight, and often don't get mentioned in reviews of the area). Then Hunt to Leakey (this is a very pleasant section of winding two-lane).

Up 336 (cattle guards) and down 335. Back to Leakey and then 337 returned us to Bandera.

*337 still has about a mile of missing asphalt between Leakey and the start up the pass. It's not a major issue.

16 + 336/335/337(three twisted sisters)= ~250 miles with lots of rollercoasters and "steep grades sharp curves".

Old 09-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a really handy link:

http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/

(and don't miss the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool)

Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM
The Nev
Cruiser

Wow thanks guys a ton of good information, now I just have to sort through it all, I think they will have a blast on some of these routes, and for that matter so will I!!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:01 AM
chipishere
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is another handy link.

Texas Hill Country Map:
http://www.txinfo.com/products/hillcntrymap.html

Prints out nice on 8x14 paper.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:29 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

I just bought 22 acres near Hico, TX
Found out alot of bikers go there on hill country rides.
Man am I in luck or what?

Quick Reply: Rides out of Houston