Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:26 PM
ScottFLHTK
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Rear Brakes

Hello

I have a 2010 Ultra Limited with over 9000 miles - When i put on the Rear Brake when slowing down to a stop light, stop sign etc. trying to stop slowly you have to put alot of foot pressure on pedal compared to how much the bike is stopping. It only seems like this happens when trying to slow down slowly using only most or the rear brake. If you stop fast and put about the pressure on the pedal it is ok. My old 2033 Road King i could control the rear brake more precisely. does any one esle notice thison there 2010.

Thanks Scott

Old 08-21-2010, 08:34 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

use your front and rear equally at all speeds. The front has the majority of the stopping power. Should help with the feeling of really having to overpower the pedal.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:41 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was taught to primarily use the front brake. Unless you are in a corner or unimproved surfaces. The front brake does most of your stopping just like in any vehicle. The rear is just to keep it straight. I usually stay off the rear unless conditions warrant.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottFLHTK
Hello

I have a 2010 Ultra Limited with over 9000 miles - When i put on the Rear Brake when slowing down to a stop light, stop sign etc. trying to stop slowly you have to put alot of foot pressure on pedal compared to how much the bike is stopping. It only seems like this happens when trying to slow down slowly using only most or the rear brake. If you stop fast and put about the pressure on the pedal it is ok. My old 2033 Road King i could control the rear brake more precisely. does any one esle notice thison there 2010.

Thanks Scott
With 9k, what is the condition of your rear pads? The rear tends to get over used if the front is not used as the primary, as others have said.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

70 plus percent of your breaking should come from the front brakes. Just sayin

Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 PM
riderjwc
1st Gear

Scott, I haven't noticed anything unusual about my brakes. I use both about equally and have always done so. Been riding for about 39 years now but just got the 2010 FLHTK last month. Also have a 2009 Deluxe. Quite honestly, I love the Deluxe more than my K but wife won't ride with me on the Deluxe. The K is very nice though. I did the Rinehart True Duals and a Stage 1 breather. Cut the exhaust heat down and gave some more power. Nicer and deeper sound than stock exhausts also - no surprise there. After tuning, got 76/95 rwhp/torque. About average based on what I've read elsewhere. Still have the stock cam. Given that I just cruise and not race, that's plenty of power for me. To tell you the truth, if I had it to do all over again, I think I would have just done the Rinehart slip-ons and forgot the true duals and Stage 1. It had plenty of power at stock. You have more miles than I do - what is your overall impression of the K? John

Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had abs brakes on my '08 E Glide so pretty much acclimated to them now.When I bought the '08 2 1/2 yrs ago I felt the same thing,felt like I had to squeeze them a little harder.Almost 14k mi. on the Limited since April with plenty of pad still left on front and rear.Front pads a little thinner.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 PM
ScottFLHTK
Novice

Sorry for the delay - Thanks for the replys - i use the Front brakes more or equally to the Back brakes just feels like DR2 Said have to Squeeze the back brake pedal a little harder than my old Road King . JWC I love my New Limited - but in parking it all ways seams like it wanted to fall over but getting use to that. Seams to me you nead a bigger turning raduis than with my 2003 Road King. Love it on the Highways. Scott

Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Buy or borrow the Ride Like A Pro video. It describes low speed riding techniques that will give you more confidence at low speed. Coincidentally they involve using a lot of rear brake which will cause your rear pads to wear sooner. At any speed over 5 or 6 mph you need to use both brakes together.
BTW it sounds like you could have a problem worth looking into like your rear master cylinder. Shouldn't require much pressure to use the rear brakes at very low speeds.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottFLHTK
Hello

Thanks Scott

You have a 2033 Road King??? Can you put a lot of speculation to rest and tell us if Harley finally went with a water cooled motor?

Sorry, couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Last edited by dirtracin23; 08-30-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Rear Brakes