Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle cable lubing ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Throttle cable lubing ????

This started last saturday .. My throttle cable sticks and it doesnt do it all the time and doesnt have a pattern as to when its gonna do it.. 06 glide efi 8000 miles. Think it just needs the cables lubed? My local indy right away said it needs new cables and thats fine but 8000 miles. I can reach down on the neck area by the fairing and move the cable a bit and it frees up.. I am going to try and get them lubed after work this evening as ive got a big weekend planned .. thank god they have the dual cables so i can at least ride till i fix or replace em..
Dave

Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lube everytime I change oil. Takes 2 mins. I use Inox. Never had a prob.

Have ya ever lubed them?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:18 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ezlife
Lube everytime I change oil. Takes 2 mins. I use Inox. Never had a prob.

Have ya ever lubed them?
To my knowledge no.. they say that it needs to be done at the 1000 and 5000 mile services but i dunno if the stealer did it at 1k (id bet not) and i didnt do it at 5 k.. I have a manual but it refers to having a harley part number oil .. I dont know the brand you used but you might give me some in site on how you do yours.. If its that easy mybe ill save myself some money . I want to learn do it myself anyway .. Then when I do the other service ill just do it.
Dave

Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You can try lubing it, I like a product called Dri-Slide, available at most Indys. From the description of how you can move the cable and free it up, sounds to me like it may have gotten kinked. My $.02.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM
mduggan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On behalf of all 08 and 09 bagger owners everywhere, let me be the first to say Yeahhh, a thread about a throttle problem that doesn't involve TBW. But seriously, I'd try lubing and working the cable. If it doesn't work itself out in short order, you'll feel better if you go ahead and replace the cable. It sounds like the cable is binding internally, maybe on a frayed strand.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Ya I agree with you guys. The cable to my knowledge isnt kinked so ill try lubing it first. Cheapest way out right ... If it doesnt free up then ill have to replace the cables. ill just do both if i have to go that way... This bike was wrecked a year ago and although it was just all cosmetic damage the indy that did the work had a couple kids working on it and ive had to fix a bunch of stuff so if the cable is kinked or has a pinched spot that just reared its ugly head id bet it was damaged when they pulled it down or put it back together.. Anyway ill fix it.... Ive had other problems with loose fasteners and stuff too but i just go ahead and add a little blue lock tight and put em back together.. So I dont have the special harley oil with the little needle to get the oil in around the cable so how do you guys do it ?
Dave

Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Throttle cables are easy, get a can of penetrating oil, I use PB blaster, open the switch housing , and spray down under the throttle grip to the cables, let it set in there for about 10 minutes, then spray it down again, close it up,and go for a ride, working the throttle between sprays helps too.

You can do it that way, or buy a cable lubber, and remove both cables at the housing then put it on,and spray in it on both cables,then reassemble.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bill03E
Throttle cables are easy, get a can of penetrating oil, I use PB blaster, open the switch housing , and spray down under the throttle grip to the cables, let it set in there for about 10 minutes, then spray it down again, close it up,and go for a ride, working the throttle between sprays helps too.

You can do it that way, or buy a cable lubber, and remove both cables at the housing then put it on,and spray in it on both cables,then reassemble.

Ok Great.. I just happen to have a brand new can of PB blaster so ill just ride home after work and do it my self.. I shoulda figured it was that easy but you never know.. Id rather do it myself anyway cause i know its done and done right that way..
Thanks
Dave

Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Bill03E said, open throttle/idle switch housing, I just pull top half off, take the 4" long needle on the inox bottle and slide it down into both cables one at a time, 10 sqweezes in each, then put switch housing half back on and work throttle alittle.

On clutch, pull clutch lever in & rubberband to grip to keep pulled, turn bars full to right, slide needle into housing at gap created by pulling in clutch lever, sit on bike and lean off jiffy to tilt upright (makes clutch cable angle downward so lube flows down), then 10 sqweezers.

2-3 mins tops. You can buy Inox any almost any dealer or indy shop, as well as online.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:03 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior

well guys i used the pb blaster as i had a couple cans in the shop.. I build street rods and years ago i did some bike work but this is my first harley.. anyway.. i gave it a bunch of shots and let it se and then threw it together and it seems to be great compared to what it was.. Next is prolly the clutch cable and i thank you for the info on that. My clutch seems fine but the cable seems to be stretching? I dont hammer it but i adjusted it a few weeks ago and it seems to have more free play today when i was working on the throttle cables... Ill figure it out..
Dave

Quick Reply: Throttle cable lubing ????