Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your Road King Handlebars!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 16" apes

It's what was said - the seat/bar combination. For me it was Mustang Super Touring seat and 16" Wild Ones.

My wing-tip and in seam are what they are so this works for me. You have to find out what yours are. Ask folks on here who are similar to your height/weight, or dig up any of the 1000's of posts on this subject already and read through.

Ergonomics are tough and if you can get a dealer to do for you what was done for Roadhog96 then you should pounce on that; it's the best you can hope for but I would get a seat out of the way first if you're not sticking with stock.

For 2 up the stock seat was uncomfortable for my wife's skinny ***. We went with Mustang 4 piece super tour.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:33 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See signature below.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Originally Posted by davidsdad
See signature below.
I dont see a signature.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 PM
EdM23
Advanced

16" Carlini Apes, work for me........

Attached Thumbnails Show me your Road King Handlebars!-king1.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Received 5,414 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by davidsdad
See signature below.
Originally Posted by Keithhu
I dont see a signature.
Nor do I.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 AM
roadhog96
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dfl1076
Thanks for the info with the road king high bars did you have to change any cables or extend wiring?
Absolutely not, nothing needed to be replaced. Stock wires, throttle cables and brake lines just fit.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM
roadhog96
Cruiser

One other thing I probably should mention is when you go to any bar that is higher in the height compared to the stock bars you would be better off switching to the better handlebar bushings I believe there callled neoprene but I could be wrong. Anyway the increased height gives you more leverage and when you push the bike the stock rubber bushings tend to want to move we're as the better ones stay put if that makes any sense, they work any it's an easy cheap swap.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:31 PM
BowaHolic
Cruiser

...not quite the worst...that would have to be the tinker toy bicycle bars that came on my 07 SG... felt like I was on a tricycle...

Old 03-18-2012, 01:05 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

I have the Heritage Style bars. Question for those who have them or have had them - when rotated slightly back towards me from the angle of the forks, how high do you think these bars are. I am trying to get the effect of apes without getting apes (a pipe dream I know but $ is a little tight now).

Old 03-18-2012, 01:25 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]

Originally Posted by ga4boats
I have the Heritage Style bars. Question for those who have them or have had them - when rotated slightly back towards me from the angle of the forks, how high do you think these bars are. I am trying to get the effect of apes without getting apes (a pipe dream I know but $ is a little tight now).
I'll chime in one more time. The stock RK bars suck. The "Heritage Style" bars for the RK IMHO suck. I sat on a 2011 Softail Heritage at my dealer & knew these were what I wanted. Very comfortable for ME!
The cost is low, (under $70) require a little modification for the TBW, & are very comfortable for a mini ape. They have approx. a 12" rise, allow you to use your stock TBW, stock clutch cable, & stock front brake lines.
Total cost of this set of bars is roughly $70 & about an hour or two dependent on your ability.
I will attach a photo I have posted before to show the wrist angle difference between the Softail Heritage bars & the "Heritage Style" bars. The Softail Heritage bars are in the plastic. BTW, just got another PM from a HD Forum member in regards to these bars. For the money, I don't think they can be beat!

Quick Reply: Show me your Road King Handlebars!