Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power commanders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:57 PM
2006ultra
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power commanders?

My bike is stock other than stage one kit and Rhineharts. My cousin got some sort of power commander and he said it made a big difference? I really don't want to spend a bunch of money to make a really slow bike just slow by going to a 95 inch set up. No offense to anyone but you know what I mean. If I could get just a bit better performance for 2 up riding and passing I would be happy. Anyone have one of these commanders.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:05 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Default RE: Power commanders?

I've got the Power Commander PCIII in my Street Glide. Bike runs great with it, but I do have the hard starting problem with it. There are quite a few of us with PCIII's who have this problem, and many others do not. Seems to be hit and miss. With the SERT, no one has reported any problems. Personally, I'd recommend that you go with the SERT. You might get a good Power Commander, but you might not. Why take a chance - get the SERT. Just my .02. Here's a link to a thread I started about the hard-starting issue:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_186898/tm.htm

Doug

Old 03-25-2006, 01:18 PM
2006ultra
Road Captain

Thanks, dumb question. What is a SERT?

Old 03-25-2006, 01:19 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you are. Just looking to get better fuel management for 2 up and so on. The SERT for me is over kill. I don't ever plan to race my Ultra. I just want to ride and know I'm not running lean. Don't really care about HP/TQ numbers and definatley don't want to spend time and money on a DYNO tune. I've decided to go with a Vance and Hines Fuel Pak. Its plug and play and around $200.00. I like simple The part number for your ride is #61003.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
ORIGINAL: 2006ultra

My bike is stock other than stage one kit and Rhineharts. My cousin got some sort of power commander and he said it made a big difference? I really don't want to spend a bunch of money to make a really slow bike just slow by going to a 95 inch set up. No offense to anyone but you know what I mean. If I could get just a bit better performance for 2 up riding and passing I would be happy. Anyone have one of these commanders.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:20 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

No dumb questions here... SCREAM'IN EAGLE RACE TUNER (SERT)

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
ORIGINAL: 2006ultra

Thanks, dumb question. What is a SERT?

Old 03-25-2006, 01:27 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The HD stage 1 download is only good if used with HD slip-on mufflers. If you are going to be using any other exhaust you are going to need something more to get more fuel into the mix. By changing to a high flow air cleaner, and using high flow mufflers or full exhaust........the Power Commander brings it all together using custom maps made for each set-up.

I have a Power Commander IIIusb, Ness Big Sucker air cleaner, and Thunderheader 2-1 exhaust...........by using this setup with the proper map..........my bike runs great with allot more power and response over stock.

You can get a PCIIIusb for $270 at Eastern Performance.......they sell thru Ebay allot.

So in other words............don't waste $150 on the HD download only to find out it didn't do enough for your bike. Skip it and get the PCIIIusb and that way you are good for future upgrades as well.

Steve

Old 03-25-2006, 01:28 PM
2006ultra
Road Captain

Thanks, my bike will be in the shop next monday and I just want to have some knowledge incase they suggest something you guys know isn't what I want.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:29 PM
cessnajo
Intermediate

I have a PCIII USB an have had it on my RK for over two years.Never had a problem with it.
Works as advertised and every question I have had were addressed buy e-mail in one or two days.
Hope that helps.
Joe

Old 03-25-2006, 01:39 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

PCIII is the only thing I would consider and recommend it highly. With a precise dyno tune performance/rideability can be enhanced dramatically!

Old 03-25-2006, 05:09 PM
alazlo
Road Master

I have been running power commanders since the mid to late 90's with great results. Never a problem. My latest ride, bought used, came with a SERT and I like it as well. One of the biggest factors is what your local tuner can do best. For years I had Carl's Speedshop in Daytona tune my PC with great results. Back home in Ohio there isn't anyone I trust to do the PC but there are a couple of guys who are good with the SERT. With that in mind I'll keep the SERT...

Quick Reply: Power commanders?