Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change oil before winter storage or in the spring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Scotchdrinker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change oil before winter storage or in the spring?

I have always waited until spring to chainge the fluids in my bike, keeping the mileage under 3000 miles before putting it up for the winter. I thought that it was best to leave the old oil in the bike over winter and change just prior to riding in the spring because, my bike sits in cold storage and I dont want to circulate oil with water in it (condenstation from temp. changes) through the engine.
Now, I've read Harley's tips on prepairing a bike for winter storage, and they recommend changeing oil before storage claiming the contaminates in the oil will do more harm.
I would like to hear all of your opinion on this matter, what do you do prior to winter storage? I live about 50 miles South of Canada in NE Montana and the winters are long and cold.
Thanks to all.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I change all the oils before winter storage in the Tractor, Roto Tiller, etc. and the bike is no different. It's not good to let worn out oil sit in an engine for an extended period of time. It offers little to no protection on metal parts. Change your oil and filter prior to storage, take it out on a nice ride to circulate the new oil and bring the motor up too temp, burning off any and all condensation in the motor, and then let it sit over winter. HTH
EDIT: And make sure the gas tank is as full as you can get it to keep condensation/moisture build up to a min. Sta-Bil as mentioned below is a real good idea as gas these days is crap, for what we pay for it. Man what I wouldn't give for some of that early to mid 70's pink premium leaded fuel for about $032.9

Last edited by Bryan1724; 09-10-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I like to change the oil and filter just before I put it away for the final time at the start of Winter. This will prevent any crap or contaminants from lingering in the sump or oil tank. My garage/shop is heated, but I still dont mess around starting the engine and then shutting it down just for the hell of it. Once I put them away they are away. I add some Sta-Bil to the fuel system, fog the cylinders, hook up the battery tenders, and throw a cover over both of them. Come the Early Spring they both get a new set of plugs, and go back on duty. It usually works out to between 12 & 15 weeks that they sit.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:27 AM
NoTyme
Cruiser

Winter storage? I live in Michigan and will ride at 30 degrees if it’s sunny and roads are salt less!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Bail
Intermediate

Amen NoTyme!!!! I'm also from Michigan and ride when possible. I generally change oil in the winter sometime (varies from early to late depending on season and if I'm riding). I also find myself working on the bike during the winter (no thanks to you all listing great ideas to do during down time :-) and find that it's one more thing I can do mid-winter while its on the jack tore down. I just make sure I at least change it by spring though.....fresh oil for a fresh season.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:38 AM
jjr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change before Winter will be ready for Spring. No riding here in Chicago during the Winter even if it was 70 degrees out. They just use too much road salt here

Originally Posted by NoTyme
Winter storage? I live in Michigan and will ride at 30 degrees if it’s sunny and roads are salt less!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace Oil and filter before storage and let run for about 10 miles to mix well with old oil still inside.
Also agree as above to fill tank, add fuel stablizer and i would slightly lift bike off its wheels so u dont get a flat spot.
Also a note - was suggested to switch over to synth oil which produce less sludge as bike gets older due to long winter months storage it should keep bike in better condition. My bike goes in mid Oct till late April depending how much Sand and rock debris is left from the winter. I also suggest a nice bike wash cover and then cover bike to keep dust off.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Switch in the fall before you store. Used oil will have some contaminents from combustion in the oil, like acids. Yes, all oils these days have acid nullifiers in them, but if there is any acid in the oil, it will etch the engine internally.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the above to change fluids in the fall and do all the other stuff suggested. I also leave mine on a battery tender all winter. Your first good ride in the spring just try to make it a longer one to make sure the engine is fully warmed up and running at normal temp, you won't have any problem with condensation in the fluids. Don't start your bike in the garage from time to time over the winter unless you are going to get it out for a good ride its better to just leave it set.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change your oil before storage and do not run the bike more than needed to ciculate the new oil before storage. The by-products of combustion contaminate the oil. This contamination will -over time-turn acidic and is detrimental to seals, bearing surfaces, etc. Fresh oil is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Change oil before winter storage or in the spring?