Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Khrome Werks +2 Wide Sweeper bars w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Khrome Werks +2 Wide Sweeper bars w/pics

2008 Street Glide Handlebar Swap.
For Road Glide handlebar swap, click here.

This past weekend I swapped the stock handlebar for Khrome Werks +2 Wide Sweeper bars PN: 300515.
The Wild 1 Chubbys are another popular set of bars.
Flanders bars are another option. They measure 32.25" from grip end to grip end. Here's a nice write-up and a video on these bars.

Reason for swapping the bars:
I am 5’8” tall and was sitting to upright which caused some back pain. The +2 Sweepers Bars have allowed me to lean back some and has reduced the back pain. The wrist angle is better than stock also.

Parts used:
Khrome Werks +2 Wide Sweeper bars PN 300515
HD Diamondback Braided +4 clutch cable PN 38624-08
HD twist grip sensor replacement PN 32310-08

A service manual is highly recommended.

The bars were purchased from Power Sport Superstore

Or Drag Specialties:
0601-0841 (KW PN: 300515) STYLE: Sweeper bars for 08-09 models w/ electronic throttle control (for FLHT/FLHX) (dimpled), WIDTH: 34.07", CENTER WIDTH: 12.00", PULLBACK: 7.84", RISE: 10.83" - Cutom Bends $79.95
Installed the bar mesure 36" from grip end to grip end.

The Diamondback Braided +4 clutch cable came from HD
There are less expensive cables available. The added four inches fit perfectly routed through the fairing as the stock cable was. Barnett Performance Products and HD Bike Parts also sell cables.

The stock twist grip sensor has a green connector. The twist grip sensor replacement kit is designed without the green connector and the wires are longer. This sensor will make it easier to run all the wires on the right side internally. Running the wires internally involve removing or unpluging the wires from the Molex connectors. If you choose not to run internal wires internally, this part is not needed. Be careful not to break the green connector. This would require the purchase of a new sensor unit. Barnett sells TGS extensions that use he green connector.

The hand control wires are just long enough, but require re-routing of the connectors under the fairing. Extensions are available form NAMZ Custom Cycle Products. If I were to do the job again, I would use extensions.

With the rotation of the bars, the bottom 1/3 of the stock fairing mounted mirrors are blocked by my hands. So far I don’t find this to be a problem.

The stock brake lines needed no modifications. That goes for ABS brake systems also.

The 2008 Street Glide come with the one piece riser clamp PN 55918-08 so there is no need for a separate purchase. The Road Glide comes stock with the two piece riser clamps as shown in this thread.

Tip: Here's a video on removing the ignition switch ****. And on post 57 there is instruction on building your own Ignition Switch Alignment Tool, for a couple of dollars.

Anyhow, here are some photo’s of the project.

Last edited by Bertk; 04-01-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Long needed update
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice thread Bert. Good job with the pictures.

I started a thread on the install of the sweepers on my Road Glide. Now we have a thread for those with Batwings.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...=bars+compared

I've had my sweepers for 2K now and I like them more all the time. For the money they are a great bar.

Steve

Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 AM
BruceFenster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
This sensor will make it easier to run all the wires on the right side internally. If you choose not to run internal wires internally, this part is not needed.

Very nice writeup and very timely. I'm thinking about the very same thing on my 08UC. I'm 5'8" as well and want the bars further back for the same reason as you.

Could you explain what you mean by your statement quoted above. I haven't investigated the stock setup closely but do see some wires externally in the stock configuration. Are any of the wires internal with the stock setup? Your saying you can run all of them internally with this bar?

I notice you didn't mention lengthening the brake line. So there is no trouble with the stock line length?

Thanks again.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sifularson

I started a thread on the install of the sweepers on my Road Glide. Now we have a thread for those with Batwings.

I've had my sweepers for 2K now and I like them more all the time. For the money they are a great bar.

Steve
Thank you Steve, and yes, I saw the thread you started. Very nice.

I agree, for the price there worth it. I did notice some minor flaws in the chrome on mine, particularly when a rag is wiped over the. The rag snags on them. It doesn't bother me thou. They do function well and take a little getting use to. Did you run the wires internally?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bertk This sensor will make it easier to run all the wires on the right side internally. If you choose not to run internal wires internally, this part is not needed.

Originally Posted by BruceFenster
Very nice writeup and very timely. I'm thinking about the very same thing on my 08UC. I'm 5'8" as well and want the bars further back for the same reason as you.

Could you explain what you mean by your statement quoted above. I haven't investigated the stock setup closely but do see some wires externally in the stock configuration. Are any of the wires internal with the stock setup? Your saying you can run all of them internally with this bar?
Yes, the twist grip sensor wires are run internally in the stock bars as shown here. I choose to run all the wires coming from the switch housings internally as well. This is where the replacement sensor (PN 32310-08) comes in. The replacement sensor is longer and has no green plug as shown on the stock sensor. By doing away the the green plug it makes it easer to run additional wires through the bars.

I notice you didn't mention lengthening the brake line. So there is no trouble with the stock line length?
Thanks again.
There was no need to extend the brake line using the +2 Sweeper Bars.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Icepickvic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pic of your bars

Originally Posted by sifularson

Steve
I wanna get these for my 04
Are they the narrow ones, or the wide ones (referring to the width at the clamp)
How does width at the clampp affect handling?
would be good to have a picture from the passenger seat to sho how far back they come vs your tilt angle.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:09 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I went with the Khromewerks +2 Wide Sweeper Bar #300505. I think they are a great bar for the $$ ($63.99 + 6.62 S/H).

Nice thread Bert.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Nice pictorial indeed. Ya' dun good!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:31 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nicely done. Appreciate the photos very much. Wish I could do that... Bike is lookin' good.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks guys. It was great learning experience.

bigskyhd, the Web Album Generator software is free for the download and easy to use.

Quick Reply: Khrome Werks +2 Wide Sweeper bars w/pics