Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roadking no fairing vs ultra with fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:40 AM
wreckdiving
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roadking no fairing vs ultra with fairing

I have an 08 rk anniversary with 3500 miles and all the extra chrome bling,rinehart eaglebeaks. Went riding over the weekend with a buddy who has an 07 ultra. The tunes that he was listening to too was making me jealous. Yeah silence is golden at times, but having music to listen to just seemed like the greatest during those long rides. The question is Trade in my baby and lose 5K right off the bat Or buy an aftermarket fairing? I was told by the dealer, if I put the fairing on I would just have a glorified RK. If you ask me looking at the pictures everything looks the same except for tour pack, fairings, and the name on the front fender. I would probably buy a fairing if they were a little more reasonable but at $2500 painted from deadcenter,thats a hit in the wallet. Any advice or maybe a used if any one knows of one. Really torn as to which direction to go. My wife thinks I am a nut all this for music. What I would really love is to trade my RK anniversary for a Ultra anniversary. Is this $5000 depreciation normal or is the dealer just trying to take advantage???

Old 09-28-2008, 08:53 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I can tell you that I have looked at a few on bikes, and they look great.....they sell alot of them. If I had a RK I wouldn't hesitate. Of course, you will have to play around with windshield height to get it where you want it.

~Joe

Old 09-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Herkybird
Intermediate

2.5g's sounds expensive to have music...iPods are around 200 smacks...or you could bungee a ghetto blaster to the sissy bar, they run off of 12 D Cell batteries, and you would have a lot of money left over!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to be out $2500 anyway, I would just go for the Ultra. If you look around I'm sure you can find some new, left over 08 Ultra's (my dealer has 3 I think) that you could get a deal on. I have a feeling if you keep the Ultra more than a year you will be money ahead in the long run. Dont forget the Classic or SG too as they are cheaper than the Ultra.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:11 AM
AlleyKatt
Cruiser

J&M (www.jmcorp.com) makes a set of chrome powered handlebar speakers for non-fairing bikes. That and an Ipod might be an option.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 AM
barkster99
Tourer

Another vote for ipod. Love the RK look (no fairing) and love my ipod.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 AM
RK Ivan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the same boat Wreckdiver, tried the fairing route but just like lookin over that nacelle too much. I have now gone to the Ipod shuffle w/erabuds under the helmet. Works fine so far. I also have an HD outer fairing if you want it.
Buzz

Old 09-28-2008, 09:46 AM
crewzerdude
Intermediate

If you can sell your Road yourself you may be able to get more out if it than the dealer trade in allowance. That would save you some money. Beware of the factory audio system, I have an 06 street glide I bought used and the CD/radio display is dead. The radio and amplifier work you just don't know what station you are on, AM/FM or CD selected. The previous owner told me it went dead after the warranty expired. From reading on this forum this is a common problem with the Harley audio system.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member

Glorified Road King, no. Think of it more like a Ultra King, or King Glide

Firebagger, with upgraded stereo, paint, black short shield and bag <$1,500

Lockable, can remove in minutes, and NO PAYMENT BOOK!!

Beat you this time Ram

Attached Thumbnails roadking no fairing vs ultra with fairing-fairfront.jpg  

Last edited by Hagar the Horrible; 09-28-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:37 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

I went with uniqcycles sound system on my roadking, mounted the speakers to the engine guard, 150w amp under the seat and use my mp3 player. Plenty loud enough even on the hiway and all for under 300 bucks.

Quick Reply: roadking no fairing vs ultra with fairing