Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Harley Floating Brake Rotors (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/284485-harley-floating-brake-rotors.html)

Lowside 10-08-2008 09:13 PM

Harley Floating Brake Rotors

Howdy Riders. Both of the stock front rotors on my ’06 Road King are warped (.009 and .016). My plan was to replace them with either EBC or Russell floating rotors but then I noticed that Harley sells floating rotors. Did a little more research on the Harley offering and found they’re not really full floaters, i.e., the rotor is rigid mounted to the carrier so the rotor doesn’t really "float”, though they look just like full floaters. The thing is, the Harley rotors are a lot cheaper than the EBC or the Russell. So my question, how are the Harley floating rotors holding up? Anyone heard if of them warping?

Thanks,

Ted - Denver

biz44 10-08-2008 09:21 PM

My 03 SE Deuce came from the factory with floating rotors(twin fronts), and one did warp. I since replaced them with another set of HD full floaters, and no problems in the last 3000mi.
I dont know why you think the HD full floaters are rigidly mounted to the carrier. They aint on my rotors. There is sort of a rivet with a spring washer or thrust washer holding the rotor to the carrier. You can physically move the rotor with the carrier not moving......thats floating enough for me.

bagman1 10-08-2008 09:59 PM

+1, My HD floating rotors have been in the box for over a year now, I plan to put them on this winter.

iclick 10-08-2008 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lowside (Post 3969362)
Howdy Riders. Both of the stock front rotors on my ’06 Road King are warped (.009 and .016). My plan was to replace them with either EBC or Russell floating rotors but then I noticed that Harley sells floating rotors. Did a little more research on the Harley offering and found they’re not really full floaters, i.e., the rotor is rigid mounted to the carrier so the rotor doesn’t really "float”, though they look just like full floaters. The thing is, the Harley rotors are a lot cheaper than the EBC or the Russell. So my question, how are the Harley floating rotors holding up? Anyone heard if of them warping?

I had EBC floaters on my old RK and put >100k miles on them while showing no measurable wear. They were excellent rotors. OTOH, when I bought the '07 SG I went with the HD's for the same reason you're considering them: lower price. I have about 21k on these rotors and have had no problems with them.

I have noticed that the HD floaters don't have the free play the EBC's did, but I'm not sure what practical effect that might have. If the rotors need to flex, they will do so, if perhaps not as easily.

leohd 10-08-2008 10:31 PM

I have the hd floaters and no problems so far

Lowside 10-08-2008 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by biz44 (Post 3969401)
I dont know why you think the HD full floaters are rigidly mounted to the carrier. They aint on my rotors. There is sort of a rivet with a spring washer or thrust washer holding the rotor to the carrier. You can physically move the rotor with the carrier not moving......thats floating enough for me.

Interesting. I read here that the HD floaters didn't float so went to my dealership and looked at three different types of floaters they had in stock and could detect no movement at all on any of the three. I wonder if they just have to break in or warm up before they begin to float?? Thanks for the info.

Ted - Denver

Lowside 10-08-2008 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by iclick (Post 3969662)
I had EBC floaters on my old RK and put >100k miles on them while showing no measurable wear. They were excellent rotors. OTOH, when I bought the '07 SG I went with the HD's for the same reason you're considering them: lower price. I have about 21k on these rotors and have had no problems with them.

I have noticed that the HD floaters don't have the free play the EBC's did, but I'm not sure what practical effect that might have. If the rotors need to flex, they will do so, if perhaps not as easily.

Great info, thanks. I'm glad to hear you got more than 100K out of your EBCs. I've had EBC rotors on other bikes and always been highly impressed with their quality. EBCs are the ones I'm leaning toward right now.

Anyone have feedback on Russells? I found them for a little less than the EBCs but don't know much about Russell. EBC has been around for years.

Ted - Denver

GzrGlide 10-08-2008 11:51 PM

Put HD floaters on all around this summer and they work fine so far.

bagman1 10-09-2008 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lowside (Post 3969750)
Interesting. I read here that the HD floaters didn't float so went to my dealership and looked at three different types of floaters they had in stock and could detect no movement at all on any of the three. I wonder if they just have to break in or warm up before they begin to float?? Thanks for the info.

Ted - Denver

They probably didnt move by hand because of the pressure or drag of the pads on the rotors.

biz44 10-09-2008 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by bagman1 (Post 3969937)
They probably didnt move by hand because of the pressure or drag of the pads on the rotors.

I was able to move mine with the aid of a pry bar (on the warped one of course) only because the spring tension on the rivet is heavy. I dont think I could have moved the rotor by hand.