Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick easy way to lube clutch cable

Old 06-12-2009, 11:27 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

i have heard that 07 and newer FL'S have a nylon type liner or sheath between the cable and outer cable. no lubing req"D. anyone know for sure?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good idea i will try it thanks-ride safe

Old 06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
nocages4me
Tourer

I have an 07 and have lubed mine. The throttle cables were very dry from the factory to the point that my throttle was trying to stick a bit. I lube all my cables at every service no matter what.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
To put it in pictorial perspective.....
Dawg, how much transfluid would you say you put in the bag for this setup? Also, since i'm running RSP heavy, any problems with that sludge making its way down?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Originally Posted by HDRider2002
Dawg, how much transfluid would you say you put in the bag for this setup? Also, since i'm running RSP heavy, any problems with that sludge making its way down?
Just a bit in the corner of the bag. I haven't tried it with shock proof, I think I would use something else though.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:16 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biz44
I like your idea....and the price is right for sure. I just like this a bit better.
I have had one of these in my box for over 25 years. Just use your choice of spray cable lube via the red spray nozzle/spout thing that always comes with the lube spray can (the ones you usually cant find after the first time you use it). You stick one end of the spout in the spray can and the other end in the hole in the tool. When you spray the lube in the entire cable sheath is pressurized. Just keep spraying until you see a bit of lube come out the bottom of the cable.
I am still going to try your set up just for kicks though!

That's what I use. Mine came with cable lub

Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, thats what i was figuring too, afterall, its just to slick it up in there anyway. Have you used this method for throttle/idle cables as well?

Old 06-12-2009, 01:21 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I like your idea....and the price is right for sure. I just like this a bit better.
I have had one of these in my box for over 25 years. Just use your choice of spray cable lube via the red spray nozzle/spout thing that always comes with the lube spray can (the ones you usually cant find after the first time you use it). You stick one end of the spout in the spray can and the other end in the hole in the tool. When you spray the lube in the entire cable sheath is pressurized. Just keep spraying until you see a bit of lube come out the bottom of the cable.
I am still going to try your set up just for kicks though!

I used one of these 30 years ago on my dirt bikes. It's somewhere in the garage at my mom's house! Need to get it or a new one!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:59 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is another version of this same tool on the market. I forgot where I got it since I have had it for some time now, and that is the only one that will fit on a HD clutch cable and fit correctly.
Like I said using the Dri-Slide is a much better option for the type of cable we are talking about in this case....a HD one.
So little of the lube would get into the tranny, I seriously doubt that it would "contaminate" the trans lube.
The blue one will work with HD cable but you usually have to loosen the clutch adjustment nut in the primary which is a good idea since your usually doing service anyhow.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:18 PM
morrishuckeba
Tourer

I ma on my way to do mine now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: quick easy way to lube clutch cable