Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   quick easy way to lube clutch cable (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/288376-quick-easy-way-to-lube-clutch-cable.html)

Keener 10-23-2008 09:07 PM

quick easy way to lube clutch cable

Or any cable for that matter. I recently did this process, but have no pics. Sorry...

Start by removing the clip on the bottom side of clutch lever pivot pin. Then remove pin.
Slide lever out of bracket, and take lever off of cable.
Now get a baggie and a smaller rubber band and lube of your choice. I used motor oil I had in the garage (don't ask what kind, or if you can change to synthetic please). OK, make a small hole in the corner of the baggie, then slide the baggie over the cable. Now, wrap the rubber band around the baggie and cable where they meet. You should have a tight seal around the baggie and cable, with the cable sticking out of the bottom of the baggie just a bit. Add a glurp of oil into the baggie, and prop up the cable with a towel so it doesn't fall off your handle bars. Go inside. After an hour or so the oil will trickle down the cable and lube it like butter. You will find a bit of residual leakage on your clutch cable at the adjuster nut when you are done. Wipe it off, reinstall clutch lever, and you are done. 10 minutes, cheap parts, and does the job.

Hopefully you can make sense of my overview-

Arizona 10-23-2008 09:48 PM

Thanks for the tip!

dawg 10-23-2008 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To put it in pictorial perspective.....
Attachment 541948

lowline 10-23-2008 10:18 PM

Thanks guys good idea and so cheap!

Bluesssman 10-23-2008 10:24 PM

Very cool, thanks for the tip!!

StreetKing 10-24-2008 06:54 AM

now that's why this forum is so incredible - "people who share information"

biz44 10-24-2008 07:08 AM

I like your idea....and the price is right for sure. I just like this a bit better.
I have had one of these in my box for over 25 years. Just use your choice of spray cable lube via the red spray nozzle/spout thing that always comes with the lube spray can (the ones you usually cant find after the first time you use it). You stick one end of the spout in the spray can and the other end in the hole in the tool. When you spray the lube in the entire cable sheath is pressurized. Just keep spraying until you see a bit of lube come out the bottom of the cable.
I am still going to try your set up just for kicks though!

http://www.motionpro.com/images//items/08-0182.jpg

speedglide 10-24-2008 09:10 AM

The neat thing about the baggie trick is you can use the same lube you are using in your tranny and avoid cross contamination by using a spray lubricant of some sort, considering the cable is open into the tranny case. I highly doubt the amount of spray that may enter the tranny will hurt it one bit, but some folks freak out when it comes to little details like that.. LOL!
Jason

Magos 10-24-2008 09:19 AM

Nice! I'll have to try that!

biz44 10-24-2008 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by speedglide (Post 4029384)
The neat thing about the baggie trick is you can use the same lube you are using in your tranny and avoid cross contamination by using a spray lubricant of some sort, considering the cable is open into the tranny case. I highly doubt the amount of spray that may enter the tranny will hurt it one bit, but some folks freak out when it comes to little details like that.. LOL!
Jason

With the clutch cable, unlike the throttle cables there is a free play adjustment fitting mid cable....this is where 99% of the excess lube will exit anyway....thats when your using the "pressurize the cable casing" method like I pointed out above.....so you would be getting only a few drops into the tranny lube...if any at all.

These days with the modern high tech cables, they say they already come with some sort of lube and or coatings on the cable itself that makes lubrication every 5K miles more than enough to keep things moving smoothly. I do use the "cable lube tool" often, but mostly when servicing jap bikes....dirt bikes and such. On late model HD's I have found just a few drops of Dri Slide applied down along the cable itself using the metal applicator tip/needle does a fantastic job. If you do it correctly one can of Dri-Slide could potentially last you years and years....if your just using it on one or two bikes. I usually either bend or brake the applicator needle before I empty the bottle of lube. Those metal needle applicator tips are a hot commodity around these parts.....got to keep a eye on them or they disappear!