Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help wiring Fog Lamps into a real switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 PM
AndrewMichaelZ
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help wiring Fog Lamps into a real switch

Hey Yall,

I am about to finish up my cruise control install on an '07 FLHX and while I have the fairing cap off I want to connect my fog lamps to a real switch. I am currently using the push button switch that came with the kit, but I bought the harley switch for the spot lamps (Part No. 71505-96). It has a grey, black, and yellow wire coming from it. I would like to use the new switch instead of the button.

The existing button switch has two wires going to it: a red which taps into an orange striped wire near the headlight and a white wire which goes back to the fogs. I believe the orange wire is the accessory wire.

I am assuming I need to install the pins from the wires on the new switch into the fairing switch connector in the spots that match up with their corresponding wires on the receiving connector.

After that, I guess I need to splice the red and white from the switch into other wires. What should I splice into? Would it just be the yellow and gray from the new switch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2008, 07:45 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow I am so confused. Is the new HD switch a lighted one? It could be the third wire is for the light in the switch?

Old 10-25-2008, 08:02 PM
AndrewMichaelZ
Advanced

Ha, my bad. The new switch does have a little lamp on it. I guess the third wire could be for that little lamp.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

Confusing to say the least. See if this works. Black is ground, Harley always uses black for ground. Yellow is hot in, Harley uses Yellow from low beam circuit so the fogs loose power when you turn the high beams on. Gray then goes to the lamps to power them. You are right about orange being a hot wire. If you use orange instead of yellow from the head light to power the switch, the running lights will burn even with the high beam on.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
AndrewMichaelZ
Advanced

Ok wait. I was overthinking it. I can just forego using the switch connector for the yellow and grey and just use it to connect the black to the ground. Then, I can clip the wires going to the old pushbutton switch and connect one to each of the yellow and grey of the new switch. Then I can continue to use my fogs whether the high or low beam is on.

Sorry for the confusion, but I think it should be this simple, right?

Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Rauzer
Road Captain

One for ground. One is power in, one power out. You'll just have to see what one turn the little light on in the switch when it's on. I'd rather have the choice to have them on with the highs.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My service manual schematic shows the 71505-96 switch wires ar as follows. Black to pin #8-ground, Yellow to pin #6-hot from headlight low beam, and Gray/Black to pin#7-which goes out to the fog lights. What I did was to move the yellow wire to the Orange/Red wire(pin #1) coming off the accessories switch which gave me uninterrupted hot and my fogs do not turn off when I hit the high beams. I believe you need to splice the push button white to the gray/black and the push button red to to the 71505-96 yellow wire assuming the new yellow is hooked to a hot such as the orange/red off the accessories switch.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

I believe this will help you with what you are trying to do.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
MJMagruder
Novice

I'm new here, but I'm trying to use the existing ACC switch to control my new driving lights...
I see that it's been a while since these last posts, so I wanted to just ask if anyone was ever able to do this with success, and NOT use the deutsch block under the seat. I can handle taking off the cover around the switches, but don't want to tear into them if anyone has "been there, done that" without success.
Lots of good info on this forum. I hope I can get some more!
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

P.S. I'm doing this on a '98 Road Glide