Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had the True-Track installed last night

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Had the True-Track installed last night

Did a lot of reading about the benefits of a stabilizing unit of some kind and did some comparison shopping.

Like many of you I already have over $25k sunk in my bike so saving or spending a few bucks less or more is not going to make my choice for me.

There have been many posts lately on the various manufacturers that are now marketing a design similar to True-Track's which I believe was the innovator of this technology.

These other manufacturers have modified the original design and cut cost corners where they could. Patent or design infringement? Knockoffs? Or simply building a better mouse trap? Call it what you will but I chose to go with True-Track.

Looking and comparing the design and manufacturing of the main stress bearing bracket, none of the other units appear to be as beefy. For my money I wanted a piece built as solidly as possible.

Hence the True Track http://www.true-track.com/1_2006_006.htm and http://www.true-track.com/1_2006_010.htm

I was at the Calif. Bike Week event and the True -Track people were there with their install trailer. Told me they could install at no charge and at $60 off retail price and do it in 15 minutes.

It actually took about 30 minutes since Ron had to straighten out my crossmember bracket which I no doubt tweaked putting the bike up on the jack countless times.

The install reduced my ground clearance by 1/8 " and that's at the crossmember. Not bad since I only go offroad in emergency situations.

Paid the folks then rode my bike back out to the parking lot. Never really was sure if I needed this since I'm not a big twisty guy but WOW !

Rode out of the show area and hit 45 mph weaving back and forth pretty aggressively. The back end stayed planted and tracked perfectly. No drifting. No vagueness.

I was very impressed and after parking the bike I had to go back to their booth to share my astonishment.

Friend David also a HDForum member just couldn't take the thought of my Street Glide handling better than his Road King Classic. After about an hour of walking around and trying to talk himself out of it we went back to the True-Track booth so David could get his gate pass so he could bring his bike around and have his installed.

We both felt a noticeable difference on the ride home via the freeway.

To me the back end feels like it is actually being pushed down onto the road. Very planted. Very stable. Almost feels heavy in the sense that there is no longer any drift from the rain grooves and curves felt like I was on a rollercoaster. Hence the feeling of riding on a "rail" as others have stated with stabilizing units installed on pre-2009 H-D's.

Definitely glad I got it. No qualms about paying a little more for a unit I feel is the sturdiest of all competing setups.

I could have saved money by buying something other than a Harley. But I wanted what I felt was the original and best. Same holds true for my True-Track.

Please save all the "You could have saved money with the XYZ unit" flames. I bought what I felt was the best unit and had no problem paying more than some others for peace of mind.

Primo

Last edited by Primo; 10-25-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P.S. Best $368 (tax included) I ever put into this bike. Trust me that's saying alot.

Primo

Old 10-26-2008, 10:35 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Primo
There have been many posts lately on the various manufacturers that are now marketing a design similar to True-Track's which I believe was the innovator of this technology.

These other manufacturers have modified the original design and cut cost corners where they could. Patent or design infringement? Knockoffs? Or simply building a better mouse trap? Call it what you will but I chose to go with True-Track.

Looking and comparing the design and manufacturing of the main stress bearing bracket, none of the other units appear to be as beefy. For my money I wanted a piece built as solidly as possible.

I could have saved money by buying something other than a Harley. But I wanted what I felt was the original and best. Same holds true for my True-Track.

Please save all the "You could have saved money with the XYZ unit" flames. I bought what I felt was the best unit and had no problem paying more than some others for peace of mind.

Primo
Personally, I agree with you. I bought the (original) True-trak for my 07. Was very pleased by it. I refuse to support companies who steal and copy other peoples R&D work. I find it very interesting that the latest knockoff on the scene is from a guy trying to patent one of HIS products (not the stabilizer), but seems to have no problem with infringing on someone else's (pending) patents. Guess he figures its ok to steal other peoples designs, but doesn't want anybody to steal HIS.

It should be very interesting to see what happens when True-Trak is granted their patent. I foresee a lot of imitators getting their asses handed to them for infringement. And IMHO, rightfully so.

Last edited by flyingace; 10-26-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 AM
tslonige
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love True Track. I just bought their front engine isolator to replace the p.o.c. Harley originally put on. If it is half as good as their stabilizer I will be very happy.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Iamopie2FLHRC
Advanced

Well after the past week or so of threads going back and forth on true-track this, and better product for less that, I will certainly be getting a true-track.

It may be a dumb way of looking at stuff but i will spend the money and get what i think is the best product for the job, regardless if others can do it for less. I could buy a kia and have a car or get a GTO (shameless plug for my car) and have a car that does the same thing only way better.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:53 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Public opinion is so wild. For the longest I've read Bagger Brace is the way to go. Now, a positive review is out on the original Tru-Trak. Watch all the people who were swayed one way start to sway back. that's how you sell, just have conviction about what you are selling.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:31 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been watching this thing with a lot of you getting it. The wife and I went on vacation through the Hill Country in Texas, Memorial Weekend. There are a lot of sweepers out there, and the bike just didn't feel good at speed cornering. Sooooooo, I just got through ordering one and we'll see how it is. Al

Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Javawave
Tourer

I am curious to ride a bike with the tru track sometime to see I feel a difference. I have felt the slight swaying before on my bike, but not enough to concern me, but then I had the samething my last bike and am probably used to it. the product sounds very interesting.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I looked at the design of the tru-trac, and didn't like the long bolts going up into the back of the trans. It just looks like a weak point to me. Also I may want to install a center stand at some point and the tru-trac uses the cross member where the center stand would mount.

I knew I needed a stabilizer and decided to get the TWR missing link. It does not use the cross member at all, and no overly long bolts or box surrounding the tranny pan. I also like the Ride-Str8....it has almost the same exact design as the TWR Missing Link. Its just the TWR fit and finish looked a bit better and the price was a few bucks less for the TWR.

Product works as advertised though....no matter what one you get. Its obvious the rang of bikes we are talking about here does need a third link to stabilize the rear of the engine in the horizontal plane. My 2008 Street Glide did not feel like the same bike anymore.....and I am serious, it felt like a different bike. Gone was that feeling I was getting at 65-75MPH like the rear tire was going flat. Gone was the feeling like I was riding with the rear tire in a rain groove.....and gone was the SERIOUS wallowing in the high speed 75-85MPH sweepers. That is what pushed me over the edge into buying the TWR to begin with. My SG went into a serious wallow after hitting a very small dip in the road while going around a right hand sweeper at about 80MPH. This wasn't a tank slapper, but a extended wallow....yes it lasted long enough for me to realize what was going on and decide to buy a stabilizer! I mounted the TWR like three days later. Went around the same sweeper 16 ways to Sunday, at all sorts of speeds trying to induce the wallow again, and could not .....it was 100% gone

Old 10-26-2008, 02:26 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by biz44
I knew I needed a stabilizer and decided to get the TWR missing link. It does not use the cross member at all, and no overly long bolts or box surrounding the tranny pan. I also like the Ride-Str8....it has almost the same exact design as the TWR Missing Link. Its just the TWR fit and finish looked a bit better and the price was a few bucks less for the TWR.
The TWR is a copy of the Ride-Str8. The difference (as I understand it) is that the TWR is machined from scratch from aluminum, and the Ride-Str8 is a modification of the original steel HD part. Thats why there is a core charge refund with the Ride-Str8. You send him your original part back once you install the replacement.

Essentially, the True-track and Ride-Str8 are the originals of the two basic stabilizer designs. The others are copies of one or the other.

The True-track has the advantage of easier installation, and the fact that you are only adding a part to your bike, not replacing any original parts with aftermarket, although again, the Ride-Str8 IS technically an original part that has been modified.

The Ride-Str8 has the advantage of not affecting ground clearance (which is really very minimal on the True-track anyway...maybe 1/8") and leaving the frame crossmember open to allow for a center stand, as you noted. The design does also move the leverage point of the restriction link back, which IN THEORY, may allow better stabilization. It does take a bit more work to install.

Ive read many "stress concerns" over the long bolts on the True-track. Yet The truetrack bolts on all 4 corners of the tranny pan (plus one more in the center rear) while the Ride-Str8 has 3 bolts along one edge of the tranny pan. So which (if either) puts more "strain" on the pan... is a moot point IMHO. Longer bolts on all four corners, vs short bolts all along one edge.

Last edited by flyingace; 10-26-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Had the True-Track installed last night