Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street glide vs sport tourer

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
bikejocky
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default street glide vs sport tourer

Rode to Fayetteville, Ar. during bikes blues and bbq to do demo rides on sport tourers, i had already ridden the HD's that interested me.
Now i am unsure what i will buy in 09. I had pretty much made up my mind that it would be a SG, or UC but now?? I really like the HD's but i also really like the kawasaki concours 1400 and the yamaha fjr. As you all know the HD's have a feel all their own which is great, but the sport touring bikes have quite a bit of torque and mind numbing speed. You hit 80+ before you can say go and they handle the curves like they are on rails.
I wish i could have both!!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of riding do you want to do??

Old 10-26-2008, 09:55 PM
bikejocky
Advanced

I hope to do more trips the wife isn't very interested so probably solo. I do like the curves and tend to hit them pretty hard, which is a good argument for sport tour or a good argument to not get the sport tour so i will have to ride more conservatively

Old 10-26-2008, 10:10 PM
MFA
Advanced

I owned an FJR-1300 (plus many other cruisers). Yes those bikes you mentioned have more power, handle better, probably less regular maintenance, but once I switched to the SG, no looking back. Just the feel of a V-twin. I did test drive a BMW 1200RT, and with its Boxter engine, it did feel good, but not as good as the SG.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 PM
acbobber
Cruiser

I know what you're saying...but none of em' are gonna have that sound and you're not gonna turn as many heads, and...you wont be totally PISSED OFF when you go to sell it or trade it. Better go with the Street Glide. NO really!! it all depends on what look you want and how it makes you feel when you're on it. To me...I wasn't satisfied till I got the Harley.
I had Yahmaha, Honda, and Suzuki and now I have my second harley and probably will always have a harley. But you get what is best for you pal, dont listen to anyone else, that way you wont have anyone to blame but yourself if you're not happy. Ride safe!!!
Oh and by the way... silly question to ask on a harley site. Sounds like to me you just needed some reinforcement before you go buy that Street Glide or UC.

Last edited by acbobber; 10-26-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Volfan615
Tourer

I've been riding a BMW R1200RT for a couple of years but had the urge for a cruiser to ride around on sometimes for a change of pace. I decided on a Street Glide and just picked up my new 09 yesterday.

I've been VERY pleasantly surprised with the handling. I think it tracks better through the turns than my beemer and really feels planted to the road. The R1200RT might not see as much time as I thought.

If you haven't ridden an 09 you need to. Harley really got it right this time!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Rethy
Advanced
Unhappy Speeding tickets!!!!!

I have owned an FJR and a couple BMW's and I will not own another one any time soon. For whatever reason I would catch myself running 100MPH often on back roads. Mainly due to the bikes are not even breathing hard. Too many speeding tickets and for me I have to have a driving license or I lose my job. So the fast bikes went away. But I will say my favorite was a Buell Firebolt. Very difficult bike to keep the front wheel on the ground and the grin off your face. Keep the SG and buy a used Firebolt (can be bought cheap) and you will have more fun! But be prepared for a few speeding tickets because it is very easy to run well over 100MPH.----------------Rethy

Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 PM
HangFire
Cruiser

I know what you mean. I miss the speed and torque of my old 1200cc Kawasaki. I wouldn't trade my Road King for any other bike, but I do miss my old Kawi........ Maybe someday I can have both. I was looking at a Concours yesterday. It was $14,000 dollars. All I could think is that for that price one could get a very cool harley.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you could go used on both style of bike, for under the price of what one new HD would cost. With the flood of cycles out there and the economy what it is this shouldnt be hard to do. There are some obvious differences between the two, in rider position, comfort, capacity, maintenance cost, purchase price, insurance, handling, performance, tire life, etc. The best way would be to log a road trip on each type and then make a decision, or buy cheap so you could resale without loss should you not be happy with the purchase.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sincecrazy
Well, you could go used on both style of bike, for under the price of what one new HD would cost. With the flood of cycles out there and the economy what it is this shouldnt be hard to do. There are some obvious differences between the two, in rider position, comfort, capacity, maintenance cost, purchase price, insurance, handling, performance, tire life, etc. The best way would be to log a road trip on each type and then make a decision, or buy cheap so you could resale without loss should you not be happy with the purchase.
I agree.....right now would be the perfect time to do some shopping and buy two bikes.

If not, all I can say is to buy the jap bike. You need to get it out of your system still. Are you buying a bike so you can get from point-A to point-B as quickly as possible, or are you buying a bike because you like to ride....like the way the bike feels and sounds. Like to sit back and enjoy the ride...you know take your time look around....stop to take a **** and a few pictures or have a cup of coffee?

When I was riding sport and sport touring bikes, I would have no control of my right hand at all. It was like I would have to go as fast as I could every single place I went on the bike. Now riding a nice Street Glide, I can still "rip it" and it gets up to trip digits fast enough.....but it just feels much better to just actually enjoy the whole motorcycling experience and stay relaxed....not having to be constantly on point for cops & cages because I am always going twice the posted.

You do what you want of course.....I will continue enjoying life to the fullest....and to me that means riding a HD.

Quick Reply: street glide vs sport tourer